Should sox ride sale less on throw away seasons?

ron883

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 02:26 PM)
So then we'd see curveballs that break 4 feet. That sounds even better, allow the pitchers to throw even more unhittable pitches.

It's at least thinking outside the box, but we'd see guys striking out 300+ again.

Too much break doesn't do them any good either. His reasoning was less torque on the arm to get the same break, more like the college ball results in more innings pitched, fewer DL stints, a lot of money saved.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 01:54 PM)
Nolan Ryan wanted to go to a 4 man rotation when he took over in Texas, but because all your talent isn't homegrown, it's going to be hard for a team to have 4 major league quality guys physically trained for that unless a lot of other teams jump on board.

Hawk had an idea where they should make the seams higher and larger so pitchers wouldn't have to put as much stress on their arms throwing breaking pitches.

I hadn't heard this but it's a great idea. The pitchers will decrease the stress on the arm for the same break. The umps don't always call the break now so the pitchers won't increase the break except for a waste pitch.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 11:29 AM)
Justin Verlander has thrown 110 pitches in 14 of 20 games this year and has only 1 game with fewer than 91 pitches; last year, he threw 114 pitches or more in 20 of his 33 starts, and failed to throw 100 pitches only once.

If you'd really like, I could probably continue to do this with Felix, Sabathia, Wainwright, Holland, whoever. And then I can do it with Strasburg too, who the Nationals handle with kid gloves, who's already had Tommy John, who still has injury concerns, who will never develop the arm strength necessary to be anything more than a 7 inning weapon at most.

Great post! I'm not a fan of restricting competition of athletes.

What they need to do is work on their efficiency so that they can throw 8 or 9 innings on fewer pitches. This is particularly true for Santiago. But there's no reason to throw these guys 110+ innings. Going more innings is the goal - not throwing more pitches. The Sox lead the league in high inning starts and I am not to the point where I think that Robin Ventura knows more than his peers.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 06:20 PM)
What they need to do is work on their efficiency so that they can throw 8 or 9 innings on fewer pitches. This is particularly true for Santiago. But there's no reason to throw these guys 110+ innings. Going more innings is the goal - not throwing more pitches. The Sox lead the league in high inning starts and I am not to the point where I think that Robin Ventura knows more than his peers.

Do you think the Sox prefer high pitch count, innefficient games from their starters?

Your entire premise is based on your grudge against the coaching staff

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 19, 2013 -> 06:45 PM)
Do you think the Sox prefer high pitch count, innefficient games from their starters?

Your entire premise is based on your grudge against the coaching staff

Hold me back Kyle; don't make me have to set another one straight