7/21 - Sox/Braves

Heads22

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Hawk ever meant for a complete disavowal of advanced statistics, but merely what he said: "they are the most overrated thing in baseball." They probably are, at least in some circles.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 03:32 PM)
I don't think Hawk ever meant for a complete disavowal of advanced statistics, but merely what he said: "they are the most overrated thing in baseball." They probably are, at least in some circles.

Still can't remember him ever quoting advanced defensive stats before.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 12:18 PM)
lol I love when Hawk trashes the haters

That McGrath article he's talking about wasnt all that insulting to Hawk. Said his story about Marciano couldnt be verified, which is true unless you read between the lines and you think he's calling Hawk a liar. Said he was a bad GM which was pretty true. Said he's a HOF announcer based on longevity but homerism hurts his chances. Said hard to imagine Vin Scully wanting to punch out an opposing teams player like when Hawk wanted to with Padilla when he was 64. A bit snarky but not over the top.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 02:48 PM)
He has to be replaced this offseason with a back-up to Phegley.
I think he'd be okay as a backup, considering what we've gotten from our backups in the past few years.

QUOTE (almagest @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 03:52 PM)
I think he'd be okay as a backup, considering what we've gotten from our backups in the past few years.

The problem is...since they're both right handed, it'll be really tempting to over-play Phegley if those are the only 2 catching options.