9/7 at Orioles

flavum

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 7, 2013 -> 05:30 PM)
I think at some point, you have to worry about the failures.

I don't want Reed blowing saves. I don't want our young hitters failing in big situations.

What I don't mind is Ax failing or Keppinger sucking. Now that we're playing some of what we hope will be the next core, I think it hurts when they absolutely suck, even in the long run.

I think you have to be concerned about the starters behind Sale during this streak. I think Santiago has taken a step back. Is it fatigue or is he always going to be a guy who throws a lot of pitches. If it's the latter that means he's likely a back-of-the-rotation pitcher.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 7, 2013 -> 10:39 PM)
I think you have to be concerned about the starters behind Sale during this streak. I think Santiago has taken a step back. Is it fatigue or is he always going to be a guy who throws a lot of pitches. If it's the latter that means he's likely a back-of-the-rotation pitcher.

Santiago has got to develop something besides a fastball to ever limit his pitches, IMO. The loss of velocity over the course of the season was a given due to his lack of experience. In a perfect world, if he can be your #4/5, you can have an outstanding rotation.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 7, 2013 -> 05:42 PM)
Santiago has got to develop something besides a fastball to ever limit his pitches, IMO. The loss of velocity over the course of the season was a given due to his lack of experience. In a perfect world, if he can be your #4/5, you can have an outstanding rotation.

His pitches are fine, he just needs to throw more strikes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 7, 2013 -> 10:55 PM)
His pitches are fine, he just needs to throw more strikes.

I feel like all of his offspeed pitches are well below average, which is one of the reasons he ends up throwing so many pitches as the hitters just foul off his fastball.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 7, 2013 -> 06:57 PM)
I feel like all of his offspeed pitches are well below average, which is one of the reasons he ends up throwing so many pitches as the hitters just foul off his fastball.

So you're saying he wouldn't make a great starting pitcher. Wow.

And his slider was a plus pitch last year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2013 -> 04:10 PM)

I don't think he's ever going to be a good starter.

I'd trade him as soon as he gets on a little roll...

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 8, 2013 -> 12:10 AM)

I was on the Hector to start bandwagon along with B>W before this season even started. I'm a big fan of Hector's, but I think for him to become a reliable starting pitcher in terms of innings like SS2K mentioned, he's going to need to improve on his offspeed pitches. If he can develop even his offspeed pitches, he can easily be a #3 pitcher going forward.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 7, 2013 -> 04:44 PM)
I hate that yahoo changed their sports format, as they used to have this information easily accessible. Do you know what the average ERA is for relievers in the majors?

Agreed! Whoever designed the new format should be forever black balled from even touching a computer.

I'm starting to get mad again when I think about the Sox. I'm starting to blame Robin in my mind. I wouldn't be heartbroken if he up and quit at the end of this season. This team has had so many losing streaks, some of it has to be attributed to him. My gawd. This team blows. Maybe the worst Sox team in the last 30 years?