2014 AL Central catch-all thread

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
I like Morse. I just think the Sox are not going to plug up the LF spot with a guy who can't field and hits right-handed. Now if the Sox could satisfy the left-handed need in LF and then bring in Morse to DH I would be more inclined the buy into it.

Ding ding ding. That isn't a bad move. It should be noted that when the Giants gave Morse the money he did, the contract was viewed as being one of the worst in all of baseball from a pure WAR perspective (based upon his more recent WAR's).

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morse's 3 year split has him better against righties than lefties so I just don't care if he's a lefty or not, he still hits right handers damn well. As Gage said though, no thanks as an of, if we can get him on the relative cheap as a dh then I'd be game.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)
Which is why we need to stop talking all a bout this mighty wRC and factor in defense. A metric the Sox absolutely suck in. Now in your defense you are presumably talking about Morse as an option for DH, which is fine, but he isn't left handed and well quite frankly, he sucks defensively. When it comes to position players we need to be finding some guys who can catch the ball and hit (at least one of them) and then we can focus on potential platoon options at DH but it would be nice if they were capable positional players as well.

I must have missed this thread a while back. Anyways, I was just stating that Morse had pretty much a standard year this year. There's no way I'd want him in the outfield. He's absolutely terrible defensively and I am in 100% agreement with you that the Sox need to upgrade their defense.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Oct 25, 2014 -> 12:28 AM)

Why does that mean he's done as a Tiger? They offered him the QO to get a draft pick and everyone knew he'd be in position for several offers of multi year deals. Similarly, every team in MLB will "not want to give him a 4 year deal", the question is whether one will.

We need the Royals to complete the deal so they aren't all fired up to win the division next year and get back to the Series.

Shields and Butler will be gone, which should on paper hurt KC. You need some veteran starters and Guthrie and Vargas do not necessarily count. Without the automatic wins vs. the Sox, Guthrie has been Chen-like.

They'll probably not spend much money in free agency, electing to go with their young rotation of Duffy, Ventura, Guthrie, Vargas and Finnegan or that stud Kyle Zimmer. Even though I'm not a Shields guy, the loss of Shields will hurt them.

Cmon KC. Complete the deal and win it all so you can turn into the 06-14 White Sox.