Frank Thomas Is a Hall of Famer

southsider2k5

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...49383--mlb.html

Biggio might want to hire Tony Montana to take out Gurnick and this other guy.

Biggio has really gotten f***ed by all this steroid era hoopla. I know why Palmerio and Rose aren't in the hall, but 3,000 hits and doing it the way Biggio did should have been first ballot status. And then he gets forgotten about the next year because it was such a stacked class. And things don't get any easier next either with Randy, Pedro, Smoltz, and Sheffield being added to the list.

Whats Sheffield's status with PED suspicion?

Edited by Paulstar

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 10:49 PM)

Extreme. Was a witness in Balco case, I believe. I think they were trying to cut a deal with him for testimony about BB.

Not sure how it all went down after all these yrs, but the info is out there.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...49383--mlb.html

Biggio might want to hire Tony Montana to take out Gurnick and this other guy.

Biggio is not the biggest loser in all of this. Yes, it sucks for him that he didn't get in this year, but he's a lock to get in, most likely next year.

The guys who got f***ed by Biggio coming up two votes short are the guys who are going to get left off ballots next year because people have to vote for Biggio again. Guys like Raines and Piazza.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 11:49 PM)
Biggio has really gotten f***ed by all this steroid era hoopla. I know why Palmerio and Rose aren't in the hall, but 3,000 hits and doing it the way Biggio did should have been first ballot status. And then he gets forgotten about the next year because it was such a stacked class. And things don't get any easier next either with Randy, Pedro, Smoltz, and Sheffield being added to the list.

Sheffield will also not get the benefit of the doubt due to his personality. He made Bonds look like Konerko.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 08:21 AM)
An excellent statistical comparison of HOF voters who made their votes public compared to those who didn't.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....articleid=22531

So 15 of the 16 who didn't vote for Maddux won't admit to it. This coming from the group whose job it is to report on things. That makes sense.

That scouting report from Rizzo had a huge flaw on it, honestly. Giving the Big Hurt's hit tool a ceiling of 50 turned out to be way, way off -- it's hard to argue that it was anything but an 80 when all was said and done. It was a better tool than his power tool throughout his prime. His overall approach at the plate was simply unbelievable and his ability to execute that approach was just as stellar.

Looking ahead to the candidacy of my other childhood favorite player, it's really astonishing to look at the career stats of Ken Griffey Jr.

1989-2000, ages 19-30 = 73.8 WAR, 140g/year

2001-2010, ages 31-40 = 3.5 WAR, 99g/year

Sad.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)
Looking ahead to the candidacy of my other childhood favorite player, it's really astonishing to look at the career stats of Ken Griffey Jr.

Sad.

Yeah, when he broke down, he really broke down. I think those last 10 years are as good of an argument that he wasn't juicing as anything.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 10:32 AM)

Sad.

He really put up a 3.5 total WAR over a 10 year period? If so, whoa!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)
Yeah, when he broke down, he really broke down. I think those last 10 years are as good of an argument that he wasn't juicing as anything.

I'm not accusing him in anyway as I think he was clean, but couldn't those last 10 years be a good argument that he was juicing? That's why his body became so injury-prone?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
He really put up a 3.5 total WAR over a 10 year period? If so, whoa!

I'm no expert on WAR, but from what I can understand off FanGraphs, I believe his defense was rated so badly over that time, that it more than negated all of his offensive production. In '07 he had a .869 OPS with 30 HR, 6 SB, yet had a -0.7 WAR? His defensive rating was -35.4 (whatever that exactly means)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
I'm no expert on WAR, but from what I can understand off FanGraphs, I believe his defense was rated so badly over that time, that it more than negated all of his offensive production. In '07 he had a .869 OPS with 30 HR, 6 SB, yet had a -0.7 WAR? His defensive rating was -35.4 (whatever that exactly means)

Yes, they are saying his defense in CF cost the team that much. He was absolutely, 100%, terrible in CF.

last night Comcast ran a 1994 early may broadcast of Sox vs Twins, Frank had two deep right center bombs.

The park looked like a minor league stadium, and goddamn it makes me mad to think one year later that team was broken up. They were a FORCE

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)

It means he was 35 runs worse than the average CF that year. He was once one of the greatest CF ever, but somewhere around the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th hamstring tear, he got really god damn slow. I'm not sure what the replacement level CF defense was at that point, but from the looks of it replacement level was maybe -10 or so.

Contrast that to the season where he was positive 33 runs, before all the injuries.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 09:57 AM)
I'm not accusing him in anyway as I think he was clean, but couldn't those last 10 years be a good argument that he was juicing? That's why his body became so injury-prone?

Not from what I have always understood. The big thing that stuff is good for is quicker recovery from work outs and injuries. When you do get injuries it is more of the kid that results from your body not being able to handle the muscles you got. Griffey always seemed like a nagging something, or an playing field injury.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 10:53 AM)
136 ballots released by the Hall.

http://bbwaa.com/14-hof-ballots/

Whoever the hell Lawrence Rocca is, his ballot was Morris, Nomo, Raines, Trammell

I love that 80% of the Baseball WRITERS of America refuse to divulge their ballots. Hypocrites.