Frank Thomas Is a Hall of Famer

southsider2k5

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maddux is going in without a logo, as is Tony La Russa. So basically the Cubs and Braves can both claim Maddux as their own Hall of Famer.

I can understand LaRussa. OAK and STL can both lay pretty much equal claim to him.

Makes no sense with Maddux though. If the Cubs get half of Maddux then the Sox should get half of Fisk.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 06:09 PM)
Tony La Russa will go in without a logoon his cap on his plaque.

Quote: "The Chicago White Sox gave me my start in the game as a big league manager for my first eight seasons in my 33-year managerial career," he slurred, sloshing bloody mary mix all over his sweatpants.

http://www.mercurynews.com/athletics/ci_24...fame?source=rss

Fixed.

Hurray, he's ours too!

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 01:00 PM)
Maddux is going in without a logo, as is Tony La Russa. So basically the Cubs and Braves can both claim Maddux as their own Hall of Famer.

"Maddux said he felt good about the decision because he spent so much time in Chicago and Atlanta.

"I spent half my career in Chicago and half my career in Atlanta," Maddux said Thursday after working with some of the Texas Rangers' prospects at a winter camp in Arlington, Texas. "I came up a Cub. I played there for six years [and] went back for six more. I was in Atlanta for 11 years. So it comes out to about the same amount of time in both cities. I love both places.

"Obviously, I feel like I had more success as a Brave. We did get a World Series there. But I kind of came up a Cub. For me, I couldn't pick. I really couldn't. Both places mean so much to me personally, to my family. I couldn't pick. So I'm going to go in neutral, I guess."

Source

Edited by ChrisLikesBaseball

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 02:34 PM)
I can understand LaRussa. OAK and STL can both lay pretty much equal claim to him.

Makes no sense with Maddux though. If the Cubs get half of Maddux then the Sox should get half of Fisk.

Fisk chose to go in as a member of the Red Sox. He went in before Wade Boggs ruined it for everyone and went in as a Devil Ray, causing the Hall to get involved with cap selection.

So, I really wanted to go to the induction and see it in person. But with the ridiculous cost of hotel/airfare/car rental, travel and the time off of work, I really can't swing it. What I started to think was that there must be a ton of people in the same boat, and everyone will want to see this, and the atmosphere of watching it with like-minded people would make it even more enjoyable. Do you think the Sox would be willing to set up something like an induction party in the bullpen bar or somewhere similar where the speech will be carried live? I've already sent an email to Brooks Boyer, but who knows if I'll get a response or if it will even be read :lol:

Would anyone here be interested in something like that?

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 03:44 AM)
So, I really wanted to go to the induction and see it in person. But with the ridiculous cost of hotel/airfare/car rental, travel and the time off of work, I really can't swing it. What I started to think was that there must be a ton of people in the same boat, and everyone will want to see this, and the atmosphere of watching it with like-minded people would make it even more enjoyable. Do you think the Sox would be willing to set up something like an induction party in the bullpen bar or somewhere similar where the speech will be carried live? I've already sent an email to Brooks Boyer, but who knows if I'll get a response or if it will even be read :lol:

I would bet on getting a response. The guy is pretty good as his job.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 03:44 AM)

I'd be there in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 02:44 AM)

Very cool idea! Being that I'm in f***ing Utah I'd be unable to attend but would sure go if I could.

BABE RUTH played on the 1926 New York Yankees with ...

Lou Gehrig, who played on the 1938 New York Yankees with ...

Joe Gordon, who played on the 1949 Cleveland Indians with ...

Minnie Minoso, who played on the 1980 Chicago White Sox with ...

Harold Baines, who played on the 2001 Chicago White Sox with ...

FRANK THOMAS (1990 - 2008)

Just sayin

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 07:31 PM)
BABE RUTH played on the 1926 New York Yankees with ...

Lou Gehrig, who played on the 1938 New York Yankees with ...

Joe Gordon, who played on the 1949 Cleveland Indians with ...

Minnie Minoso, who played on the 1980 Chicago White Sox with ...

Harold Baines, who played on the 2001 Chicago White Sox with ...

FRANK THOMAS (1990 - 2008)

Just sayin

Is Frank Thomas the Kevin Bacon of baseball? 6 steps to Thomas? :P

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 10:13 AM)
Is his ringtone Minnie the Moocher?

Had the opportunity to meet Minnie last year. My kid played in a fall league up in Horner Park and Minnie is buddies with some folks in the league. They paraded him from field to field and stopped the games between innings so he could say hi and give some major league pep talk.

He rambled on and on and was difficult to hear. Told the parents not to beat their kids (I am not joking) and repeated several times that he is one of only 7 people in history to have 4,000 hits or more in his combined career. I am not sure how far back he went to compile his stats, but he just kind of struck me as a self promoting jerk. I was reticent to mention it to anyone since he is such an icon, but my friend said he met him at a bar once and got a lot of the same.

I still think he should be in the hall of fame, though.