Twins out, Red Sox in on Pierzynski

brian310

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 10:12 PM)
LMAO at Greg citing Bill James and Sabermetrics for the Red Sox signing AJ.

Is greg now a statnik?

I know Bill James personally. He lives in Lawrence as you know. And to all the statniks ... Bill James wrote a long long long essay in one of his books about the fact there is no such thing as "protection" in a lineup. In other words, let's say Adam Dunn is batting third and Abreu fourth. The performance of Dunn has nothing to do with how Abreu hits. That is according to the stat guru, Bill James. He says lineup protection is a myth (unless he's changed his stance on this). I know you all will disagree with James on this so what do you think of him now?

I am confident, however, that James can identify baseball talent and his Red Sox now have AJP. That means Bill is projecting another good to great year from AJP. Meanwhile, we let him go LAST YEAR when he still could have been our catcher. Not smart.

Edited by greg775

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 01:40 AM)
I know Bill James personally. He lives in Lawrence as you know. And to all the statniks ... Bill James wrote a long long long essay in one of his books about the fact there is no such thing as "protection" in a lineup. In other words, let's say Adam Dunn is batting third and Abreu fourth. The performance of Dunn has nothing to do with how Abreu hits. That is according to the stat guru, Bill James. He says lineup protection is a myth (unless he's changed his stance on this). I know you all will disagree with James on this so what do you think of him now?

I am confident, however, that James can identify baseball talent and his Red Sox now have AJP. That means Bill is projecting another good to great year from AJP. Meanwhile, we let him go LAST YEAR when he still could have been our catcher. Not smart.

Greg is citing Bill James.

I don't understand the world anymore.