Twins out, Red Sox in on Pierzynski

brian310

With McCann to the Yanks, Ruiz to the Phillies, Navarro in as the starting catcher for the Jays, Rangers set on Soto as the catcher, and if the Red Sox end up with Salty, how many realistic options does AJ have? I know the Marlins are also in on Salty so I guess maybe they would be front-runners with AJ living in Florida?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously! Playing him literally blocks no one, there is no one in the minors coming up. If he was in a strict platoon with Flowers or Phegley, it would be effective. Him on a one year deal (or one year plus option) would be much better than going 4-5 years with Salty. And with a deep draft this year, maybe we end up taking a good catcher in the first couple rounds. It would also be great not giving up anyone from our system to fill the need.

Edited by chisoxfan310

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 10:22 PM)
Seriously! Playing him literally blocks no one, there is no one in the minors coming up. If he was in a strict platoon with Flowers or Phegley, it would be effective. Him on a one year deal (or one year plus option) would be much better than going 4-5 years with Salty. And with a deep draft this year, maybe we end up taking a good catcher in the first couple rounds. It would also be great not giving up anyone from our system to fill the need.

Absolutely what I'm thinking too!

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 10:27 PM)
Didn't Robin have beef with A.J. while he was here? If so, I don't see any way in hell he's coming back.

Who cares? This is about the Sox and not Robin. Robin only coaches the players Hahn gives him to coach and that's it.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 10:31 PM)
Who cares? This is about the Sox and not Robin. Robin only coaches the players Hahn gives him to coach and that's it.

Lol...this is only about what's best for the team. You can't have players openly questioning the manager's decision-making in front of other teammates. It can create rifts in the clubhouse and effect the manager's ability to effectively lead his team.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 10:44 PM)
Lol...this is only about what's best for the team. You can't have players openly questioning the manager's decision-making in front of other teammates. It can create rifts in the clubhouse and effect the manager's ability to effectively lead his team.

Yep.

Also, I believe Bucket implied that many of his teammates had issues with him. It was around the time Reed plunked him last year. Part of me would like him just so he could be traded at some point next season and part of me doesn't want that douchebag anywhere near the clubhouse.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 10:44 PM)

I know, you're right but I have to admit Robin leaves me scratching my head a lot so I guess I can see where AJ would be coming from. AJ does know the game pretty damn well.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 10:49 PM)
I know, you're right but I have to admit Robin leaves me scratching my head a lot so I guess I can see where AJ would be coming from. AJ does know the game pretty damn well.

Going 63-99 the year after AJ leaves, should be an indication of who likely won that argument or "beef". Robin really is not manager material and AJ seems to be getting better with age. (At least offensively)

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 10:47 PM)
Yep.

Also, I believe Bucket implied that many of his teammates had issues with him. It was around the time Reed plunked him last year. Part of me would like him just so he could be traded at some point next season and part of me doesn't want that douchebag anywhere near the clubhouse.

From a pure numbers standpoint, he might be an ok stop-gap assuming age doesn't finally catch up to him. However, I just think if you're going to add a veteran on a short-term deal he has to be a good clubhouse fit. I don't know if the rumors are even true, but if A.J. was doing what Bucket implied then it's a no-brainer that you don't bring him back IMO.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 10:49 PM)

Don't disagree on that, but he still can't be undermining his manager in front of teammates. It's simply a headache and risk not worth taking on a stop-gap player.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 10:57 PM)
Going 63-99 the year after AJ leaves, should be an indication of who likely won that argument or "beef". Robin really is not manager material and AJ seems to be getting better with age. (At least offensively)

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 11:03 PM)
Don't disagree on that, but he still can't be undermining his manager in front of teammates. It's simply a headache and risk not worth taking on a stop-gap player.

Agree with ya both here so let's just fire robin! :D

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 10:57 PM)

Aj leaving did not cause the 63 win season. Unless you somehow believe things like AJ leaving caused Paulie to smash his arm on the wall in a fit of sadness, which caused him to hurt his wrist, or that De Aza was so distracted by AJs absense that he was constantly thinking of him, leading him to miss balls in CF and get picked off of bases....

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 07:56 AM)
Aj leaving did not cause the 63 win season. Unless you somehow believe things like AJ leaving caused Paulie to smash his arm on the wall in a fit of sadness, which caused him to hurt his wrist, or that De Aza was so distracted by AJs absense that he was constantly thinking of him, leading him to miss balls in CF and get picked off of bases....

Both of those things happened to me, so yeah.

But back to your hate fest & enjoy the free swinging garbage back there.

QUOTE (elwood5892 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 07:13 AM)
AJ reunited with Jake. That should be interesting.

I bet Peavy just kicked the side of that stupid boat that he bought from the parade.

That clubhouse will keep AJ in check though. I feel like he would have run roughshod over Ventura and the White Sox clubhouse.

Yes, AJ is a free swinger, just like pretty much everybody else the Sox have right now. Yet, somehow, he seems to make it work for him better than most.

Still, I don't think I'd sign him right now, but if we get to late January, the catching situation hasn't improved, and he's still available, then sure give him a 1 year deal.