Twins out, Red Sox in on Pierzynski

brian310

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 09:23 AM)
AJ is not the type that would be OK riding the pine while you were experimenting with options to be the long term solution. It is better to bring in a solid backup and give the guys in house a larger sample size to determine if they can be long term solutions. If they both fail you can go outside of the organization and find another guy to try. AJ coming in would have prevented you from being able to do that or would have caused some major locker room issues if you sign him and don't play him enough.

IMO, the long term solutions don't exist in this organization. There would be no need to experiment.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:03 AM)
No surprise. AJ is really good buddies with Big Papi from their Minnesota days. The myth that everyone hates AJ will continue.

Some of the battles you fight are classic. Are you really going to argue that A.J. isn't one of the most hated players in all of baseball? Come on man, we all know A.J. is one of your favorite players, but that doesn't mean you can't be objective when discussing him. By all accounts he a douchebag and a s***ty teammate. What did Guillen famously say, "When he's on your team you hate him less". I think that sums of A.J. pretty nicely.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 09:28 AM)
Some of the battles you fight are classic. Are you really going to argue that A.J. isn't one of the most hated players in all of baseball? Come on man, we all know A.J. is one of your favorite players, but that doesn't mean you can't be objective when discussing him. By all accounts he a douchebag and a s***ty teammate. What did Guillen famously say, "When he's on your team you hate him less". I think that sums of A.J. pretty nicely.

You ever think about changing your display name? Chicago White Sox is so... official.

I am a big AJ fan and I believe it is valuable to have a veteran catcher on a contending squad. I just don't see a big benefit for AJ or the White Sox in him rejoining the team. AJ should be looking for as close to a contender as he can get. I'd rather keep what we've got and hope with time and coaching better things happen. Using a roster spot on AJ with the hopes of maybe being .500 is crazy.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 09:28 AM)

Considering Ozzie and AJ talk all the time and still occassionally go out with each other for dinner, you again are the one who can't be objective.

From mlbtraderumors:

•The notion that A.J. Pierzynski is bad for a team is way off-base, according to one longtime teammate who said, “He may rub people the wrong way on other teams, but if he’s your teammate, he’s great. He’s tough, loyal, can call a game, and he can hit. I wish we had him back.”

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 09:25 AM)
How much do you have to see to determine if a guy is a "long-term" solution? Does anyone really think Flowers or Phegley are legitimately full time catchers in the major leagues?

I think given the state of the Sox, it isn't doing any harm to give Phegley and Flowers another shot. If you get into the season and that is the lone black hole on the roster you can make a deal to shore up the position. But Phegley has a history of starting out slow at each level and taking time to adjust, so I think it really is in your best interest as a team to give him a larger opportunity to make sure you know what you have before moving on. I am not thinking he will be an all-star or anything, but he could at least be average, which might be good enough.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:16 AM)
AJ is still a good hitting catcher and he makes the most sense on a contender. With that short RF, he could be back to 20+ homers again.

Exactly. Why on earth would he want to come back to Chicago?

Catcher's flying off the shelves, Twins spending money in free agency and still looking at Salty too. Tigers making crazy moves and about to sign Nathan. Rumors that Ellsbury might sign during the winter meetings. All kinds of things happening. Hahn and the Sox more under the radar than even KW was.

When Konerko says "I'm baaaaaaaack" and the Sox sing "Welcome Back" I expect a 50 page thread. :P

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 09:35 AM)
Considering Ozzie and AJ talk all the time and still occassionally go out with each other for dinner, you again are the one who can't be objective.

From mlbtraderumors:

•The notion that A.J. Pierzynski is bad for a team is way off-base, according to one longtime teammate who said, “He may rub people the wrong way on other teams, but if he’s your teammate, he’s great. He’s tough, loyal, can call a game, and he can hit. I wish we had him back.”

Hey, Paul Konerko, what do you mean "we?"

Boston and AJ deserve each other.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 09:12 AM)
By making sure that when we go into next offseason we have exactly the same problem as we have now, Phegley and Flowers who are too good for AAA but who haven't produced in long stints in the big leagues. Except Flowers is a year more expensive.

Exactly! Let's sort this Phegley/Flowers issue out now instead of next year, where I'm hoping we'll be a lot closer to contention.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
The Marlins have offered Saltalamacchia a two-year deal with a club option for a third season, according to Phil Mackey of 1500 ESPN. If a guaranteed 3 yr deal is all it takes to get Salty any chance Hahn jumps in ?

I'd say so. I would be comfortable with it

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
The Marlins have offered Saltalamacchia a two-year deal with a club option for a third season, according to Phil Mackey of 1500 ESPN. If a guaranteed 3 yr deal is all it takes to get Salty any chance Hahn jumps in ?

With the way Miami treated its last bunch of free agents, I think any player would be a fool to sign with them unless the contract is overwhelmingly higher than any other team offered.