The AJP- Class act...

Frank_Thomas

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 10:09 PM)
Ptatc is one cool customer. I would've went off on that clown.

Years of dealing with athletes especially professional athletes teaches tolerance and patience not to mention I'm old and things like that really aren't worth the aggravation anymore. :D

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 10:09 PM)
Ptatc is one cool customer. I would've went off on that clown.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 10:15 PM)
If you're questioning ptatc, you've not been paying attention for however long you've been on this site.

Yeah, no kidding. From all the posts I've seen from ptatc, it's obvious he knows what he's talking about.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 09:31 PM)
wow....what an ugly thread.

Well it was just a thread about AJ doing something nice and some will have nothing to do with that, they have to slam him every chance they get. It would be like next month with Frank gets his HOF election thread and a bunch of people went on there to say he was really an egotistical, crappy teammate who was only concerned about his stats. It would be uncalled for. The thread was about AJ possibly wearing Hawk's number, not about whether or not he kneed a trainer 10 years ago.

Seriously, as bad as some think AJ is, probably most of the guys they never say anything about are worse.

The more I think about this thread (AJ wearing #40, not him being an ass), the more I say "so what?" He's not the first to wear a jersey number to honor someone else. Josh Paul wore #27 as a nod to Carlton Fisk. Jose Abreu is going to wear #79 for his mother. There are more instances, but we're caught up in this because it's AJ and Hawk. AJ was a great addition to the team, and without him the Sox may not have won the World Series. Hawk is...well, Hawk is Hawk. Love him or hate him, he IS White Sox baseball.

All that being said, though, it's amazing this thread took off the way it did. Then again, maybe it isn't amazing considering at least half the posts are discussing whether AJ is an asshole or not.

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 12:26 AM)
I define it as a guy who goes out of his way to be mean or belittle people, especially the ancillary non-baseball people around people like the clubhouse people and the medical staff. Obviously, I'm sensitive to the medical staff who work their a** off to keep these guys on the field. He's not like Bonds who is in a different a** class but would ignore most people. AJ would treat people poorly not necessarily other players, although he did that too, but most commonly the others around.

This is what I call a bad person. He is not the only one by far, I've seen worse than him but he is in the team picture.

Cool ptatc. Thanks for the info. AJ is a dick, but I've also been around sports figures and met so many who are assholes I don't consider it a real problem. It is great when you run into some nice ones. I don't know why he'd be mean to medical personnel who are trying to help him. I would think medical personnel would have the upper hand on AJP so to speak since they are the ones curing whatever ails him.

I believe he's a dick. I just know there are many in all clubhouses. How many would you estimate ptatc? Are 1/3 of a clubhouse total assholes or closer to half?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 08:08 AM)
Cool ptatc. Thanks for the info. AJ is a dick, but I've also been around sports figures and met so many who are assholes I don't consider it a real problem. It is great when you run into some nice ones. I don't know why he'd be mean to medical personnel who are trying to help him. I would think medical personnel would have the upper hand on AJP so to speak since they are the ones curing whatever ails him.

I believe he's a dick. I just know there are many in all clubhouses. How many would you estimate ptatc? Are 1/3 of a clubhouse total assholes or closer to half?

This is an odd time for you to be on, Greg.

Anyway, you raise an interesting question. I think there are more assholes in sports than we think or even want to believe. We as fans want to like the players on our favorites teams, and we imagine and hope that they are nice people. And we hate the guys on the other teams, and we just know that they are assholes. So, it's disheartening to us when we hear stories about a beloved player being a prick off the field. I like AJ, and I thank him for everything he did in a Sox uniform. But the more I hear about him, the more disheartened I am, knowing that he's not such a nice guy.

I'd like to hear more about the guys off the field/court/ice that are truly good guys. It's unfortunate that we don't hear that many stories. Is that because the stories of them being asses are more exciting, or is it because there just aren't that many good guys?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 08:08 AM)

I guess it's a different perspective. I think many of the players just ignore or are too aloof to people. They treat them like they are too good for them. I guess I consider that more of just being an idiot as opposed to going out of your way to treat people badly. You can just ignore them as well and there really isn't a problem. Most of the players don't go out of their way to do that. This is a whole different category. These are just bad people not the pampered ones. This is mostly in the majors. In the minors there are alot of fun guys.

However, you are right when you say the really good ones do stand out as there seem to be fewer and fewer anymore. A couple of the best that really stand out were Robin Yount and Ryan Dempster.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 08:00 AM)
Well it was just a thread about AJ doing something nice and some will have nothing to do with that, they have to slam him every chance they get. It would be like next month with Frank gets his HOF election thread and a bunch of people went on there to say he was really an egotistical, crappy teammate who was only concerned about his stats. It would be uncalled for. The thread was about AJ possibly wearing Hawk's number, not about whether or not he kneed a trainer 10 years ago.

Seriously, as bad as some think AJ is, probably most of the guys they never say anything about are worse.

Just to clarify, I do think he is doing a good thing for a friend and he could be good to his friends. But to say he was a good team mate or would make a great manager because people respect him would be wrong.

You will that stuff about Frank because it's accurate. I personally don't consider a guy worrying about his stats a bad team mate but some people did and do. He was egotistical but again I think most athletes at the top of their profession need to be because it comes with that overwhelming drive and determination to be the best. Again, I don't consider that a bad team mate either. I think he was one of the best ever and not a bad team mate or person. He was and is actually a good person. People use these exact same characteristics to describe Walter Payton.

AJ didn't knee a guy he punched him. But that is an old story and just a tip of the iceberg of stuff he did. This has nothing to do with that incident just about a person with a certain attitude.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 08:00 AM)

I didn't pay close attention, but I mainly noticed people arguing the merits of it being a class act. AJ is a dick and an asshole but he is a good player. Frankly, I think that's the highest compliment you can pay the guy.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:10 AM)
He must be a big deal then. Like Steff?

Give it up.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:32 AM)
I didn't pay close attention, but I mainly noticed people arguing the merits of it being a class act. AJ is a dick and an asshole but he is a good player. Frankly, I think that's the highest compliment you can pay the guy.

Give it up.

The thread was about AJ wearing Hawk's number. If you don't think THAT is a class act, fine, say something about that. Not about some other crap.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 09:36 AM)
The thread was about AJ wearing Hawk's number. If you don't think THAT is a class act, fine, say something about that. Not about some other crap.

Conversations typically evolve. You can have a conversation about the price of corn and end up talking about how terrible the Hindenburg was. Unfortunately, due to his history and personality, this thread evolved that way.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)
I'd say starting such a thread opened the floodgates.

If posting anything AJ does that is a nice gesture opens the floodgates to people who have never even met him saying how awful he is based on what they read on the internet, and then totally dismissing anything positive about him on the same internet, you are correct.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)
Ok, I asked someone I know that has dealt with aj while he was on the team. His reply. "Not an asshole but he had his moments"

I'll take that over some guy who worked for teams that aj never played for.

Good way to look at it because the junior medical staff never works with or sees with players from the other teams. They don't discuss other players either. I hope your friend spent alot of time in the clubhouse working with players on a daily basis. Pick your sources as you see fit.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 10:24 AM)
If posting anything AJ does that is a nice gesture opens the floodgates to people who have never even met him saying how awful he is based on what they read on the internet, and then totally dismissing anything positive about him on the same internet, you are correct.

Pretty much. I don't see anyone else getting praised for simply selecting a jersey number.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...t=0&start=0

Thread was 52 posts. The word "class" was used twice. Both of them described Aparicio, even though Vizquel was the one who put in the request to honor Aparicio.

In this thread, I see no one calling Hawk or the Red Sox classy for allowing Pierzynski to do it. What gives?

/fuel on fire

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 12:36 PM)

Ok I'll say this.

Wearing someone's jersey number because you liked them : "class act" :: promising to pay your buddy back for the burger he bought you : congressional medal of honor

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
Good way to look at it because the junior medical staff never works with or sees with players from the other teams. They don't discuss other players either. I hope your friend spent alot of time in the clubhouse working with players on a daily basis. Pick your sources as you see fit.

It's funny, but my guy said almost the exact same thing as Dunn and

Beckham. Last I checked, those guys ARE in the clubhouse.

You are just some internet tough guy that USED to work with a team. And you have a lot of people here kissing your balls.

I never met AJ, so I will never know the truth. But I do take my friend's word for it. He knew AJ for his entire stay with the team.