The AJP- Class act...

Frank_Thomas

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 11:09 PM)
Ptatc is probably deserving of the benefit of the doubt here. I'm not saying he's a liar, he's one of our best posters & obviously he believes he's telling the truth. He probably even is. Maybe AJ isn't exactly a "perfect" teammate.

But let's just go back in time for a sec here. We all remember that dropped third strike against the Angels which helped win us the game, kept us on our roll and ultimately resulted in a World Series Championship, but some of our younger fans may not know or remember that the opposing catcher in that situation who cost the Angels the game happened to be Josh Paul, who was one of many complete horses*** catchers that Sox fans had to suffer through during that long drought between Fisk and AJ. That play is emblematic of pretty much the entirety of the Sox catching situation during that period and it is also emblematic of pretty much the entire Sox team attitude during those years: stupid as Bevington, careless as Manuel, lackadaisical and under-committed like the entire unbalanced homer happy offense, etc. AJ coming here was the absolute best thing that could have happened, and we won a title in large part because of it.

AJ is gone now. We're not a better team without him, but he's still gone. He's gone from our world. And when important people are gone from your world shouldn't you remember them for the best things that they did? Shouldn't you first think of their greatest moments before everything else? Shouldn't you choose to remember him more as you would have wanted him to be when you weren't there rather than how he may have been when you still weren't there but wish you were? For such a significant piece of Sox history, shouldn't we all just bury our heads in the sand when it comes to all this "clubhouse" malarkey and choose to remember him as a hero? Of course we should.

And as far as Hawk being honored somehow not being a classy move, let's first consider what season we're in now. Now is a time for thinking about others. Imagine what this great tribute feels like if you're Hawk. Imagine you're sitting there in front of the fire, cozy & tucked into your loud multicolored flannel suit, sipping your beverage and thinking about what you might get yourself for Christmas this year as you gaze up at that giant stuffed bird which you also bought for yourself several decades ago to symbolize your human greatness - imagine you're sitting there when the phone rings, and it's your old buddy AJ, and he says he's going to wear your old #40 just for you, because you mean so much, and because he feels you deserve it. How great does this make Hawk feel? Think of that! It won't even matter how big his gift under the tree is this year, nor how expensive or superficial or self-gratifying, because the greatest gift has been given to him, it's right there his heart, to Hawk from your old pal AJ. For f***s sake people if that doesn't warm your f***in heart I don't know what could.

Let's just cut it out from here on out. No more crap about AJ. You don't have to say he was a great teammate, but you don't have to say he was a bad one either. Let's treat him like the hero he is. It's the holiday season.

*Only IF #12 is not available...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 07:23 PM)
He knows nothing about being a good teammate. Everything else you said is true. He knows the game and is an outstanding player. It's not a shock that he left Texas. He will not be in Boston long either.

Funny, but I heard nothing but good things from his teammates in Texas about him. ESPECIALLY during the Darvish perfect game incident

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 09:03 AM)
*Only IF #12 is not available...

Like that makes him a selfish dick?

#12 is his normal number. Why wouldn't he want it?

But he's also deferring to another veteran, and someone who his new team would like to keep. And on top of that, he's decided to honor his FRIEND if his normal number is not available.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)

But he's also deferring to another veteran, and someone who his new team would like to keep. And on top of that, he's decided to honor his FRIEND if his normal number is not available.

Because no player has ever used his jersey number to honor anybody else? It's nice of him, but it's hardly ground breaking. If it was such a big deal and such an honor, why would it be his second choice?

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)

It's cool. That doesn't make this a class act.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 11:39 PM)
Why the hell was he a s***ty teammate? He sounds like a team leader to me.

He is not a leader and you will not find more than a couple of people who tolerate him let alone follow him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 06:01 AM)
"A lot of people have this bad image of A.J. in general, it seems around the league, but the guy is one of the greatest guys when he needs to be," Beckham said. "It's something nobody sees. He can be a really great friend. He was there for me in tough situations off the field and was a big-time mentor. So, it's tough to see him go."

What a s***ty teammate.

Even the biggest jerks have a few friends. As you noticed the quote was "he can be a a really great friend." He wasn't to very many.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 10:08 PM)
No one will ever change my mind about AJP. You can do whatever you want. I think criticizing him is almost sacriligious. OK I know that's the wrong word, he's not a religious figure. Criticizing him I think is ... ridiculous. Can't think of the right word. I praise him and applaud him as a Sox fan.

No one can ever disagree that he wasn't a very good player and did everything he could to win. That is a whole different discussion than him being a class act off the field.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 11:09 PM)
Ptatc is probably deserving of the benefit of the doubt here. I'm not saying he's a liar, he's one of our best posters & obviously he believes he's telling the truth. He probably even is. Maybe AJ isn't exactly a "perfect" teammate.

But let's just go back in time for a sec here. We all remember that dropped third strike against the Angels which helped win us the game, kept us on our roll and ultimately resulted in a World Series Championship, but some of our younger fans may not know or remember that the opposing catcher in that situation who cost the Angels the game happened to be Josh Paul, who was one of many complete horses*** catchers that Sox fans had to suffer through during that long drought between Fisk and AJ. That play is emblematic of pretty much the entirety of the Sox catching situation during that period and it is also emblematic of pretty much the entire Sox team attitude during those years: stupid as Bevington, careless as Manuel, lackadaisical and under-committed like the entire unbalanced homer happy offense, etc. AJ coming here was the absolute best thing that could have happened, and we won a title in large part because of it.

AJ is gone now. We're not a better team without him, but he's still gone. He's gone from our world. And when important people are gone from your world shouldn't you remember them for the best things that they did? Shouldn't you first think of their greatest moments before everything else? Shouldn't you choose to remember him more as you would have wanted him to be when you weren't there rather than how he may have been when you still weren't there but wish you were? For such a significant piece of Sox history, shouldn't we all just bury our heads in the sand when it comes to all this "clubhouse" malarkey and choose to remember him as a hero? Of course we should.

And as far as Hawk being honored somehow not being a classy move, let's first consider what season we're in now. Now is a time for thinking about others. Imagine what this great tribute feels like if you're Hawk. Imagine you're sitting there in front of the fire, cozy & tucked into your loud multicolored flannel suit, sipping your beverage and thinking about what you might get yourself for Christmas this year as you gaze up at that giant stuffed bird which you also bought for yourself several decades ago to symbolize your human greatness - imagine you're sitting there when the phone rings, and it's your old buddy AJ, and he says he's going to wear your old #40 just for you, because you mean so much, and because he feels you deserve it. How great does this make Hawk feel? Think of that! It won't even matter how big his gift under the tree is this year, nor how expensive or superficial or self-gratifying, because the greatest gift has been given to him, it's right there his heart, to Hawk from your old pal AJ. For f***s sake people if that doesn't warm your f***in heart I don't know what could.

Let's just cut it out from here on out. No more crap about AJ. You don't have to say he was a great teammate, but you don't have to say he was a bad one either. Let's treat him like the hero he is. It's the holiday season.

He is a bad person. Not a bad player. He was a very good player and helped the Sox win. No doubt but let's not confuse that with being a class act or good person.

I don't believe I am telling the truth, I'm speaking from experience. Although I did drink alot more in those days.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 02:09 AM)

Holy crap, dude, he's a baseball player, not our dead father who kind of had a mean streak but definitely loved us so now we have to find a way to reconcile our ongoing contentment with the reality of his hurtful behavior without the benefit of an apology. Just...like....remember him exactly as he portrayed himself. He was a huge asshole who was fun to have on our team. WTF is all this "remember the good times" nonsense? Are we at his wake or something?

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 04:01 PM)
Holy crap, dude, he's a baseball player, not our dead father who kind of had a mean streak but definitely loved us so now we have to find a way to reconcile our ongoing contentment with the reality of his hurtful behavior without the benefit of an apology. Just...like....remember him exactly as he portrayed himself. He was a huge asshole who was fun to have on our team. WTF is all this "remember the good times" nonsense? Are we at his wake or something?

After signing with Boston, he might as well be dead to me.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 10:25 PM)
He is a bad person. Not a bad player. He was a very good player and helped the Sox win. No doubt but let's not confuse that with being a class act or good person.

I don't believe I am telling the truth, I'm speaking from experience. Although I did drink alot more in those days.

I believe you pt, but what is a bad person? Do you agree there are major assholes all throughout baseball? I mean these are rich, spoiled individuals who have been stars their entire lives and I'd assume at least 50 percent are total jerks.

I do believe you ptatc; I think you are one of the best posters in the history of posting. But what constitutes a prick? What has AJ done that would vault him to the top of the prick list in a sport full of jerks?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 05:38 AM)
This talk of AJP being a prick amuses me. Do you know how many assholes are in professional baseball?? Who gives a f*** if he nixed the girlfriends? I'll take 20 AJ's on my team any day and maybe my team would win something. Sox missed him GREATLY IMO last year!

Cheers. God damn sensitive assholes.

I'm at the Florida basketball game and AJP is supposed to be here tonight. I wonder if I tell him I'm one of his bigger supporters on Soxtalk he would refrain from hitting me. I better not risk approaching him lest he hit me or act rude to me, could affect my feelings for him forever.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 10:58 PM)
I believe you pt, but what is a bad person? Do you agree there are major assholes all throughout baseball? I mean these are rich, spoiled individuals who have been stars their entire lives and I'd assume at least 50 percent are total jerks.

I do believe you ptatc; I think you are one of the best posters in the history of posting. But what constitutes a prick? What has AJ done that would vault him to the top of the prick list in a sport full of jerks?

I define it as a guy who goes out of his way to be mean or belittle people, especially the ancillary non-baseball people around people like the clubhouse people and the medical staff. Obviously, I'm sensitive to the medical staff who work their a** off to keep these guys on the field. He's not like Bonds who is in a different a** class but would ignore most people. AJ would treat people poorly not necessarily other players, although he did that too, but most commonly the others around.

This is what I call a bad person. He is not the only one by far, I've seen worse than him but he is in the team picture.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 05:19 PM)
I'm at the Florida basketball game and AJP is supposed to be here tonight. I wonder if I tell him I'm one of his bigger supporters on Soxtalk he would refrain from hitting me. I better not risk approaching him lest he hit me or act rude to me, could affect my feelings for him forever.

"AJ! I'm one of your biggest supporters on SoxTalk!"

*ignores greg*

"AJ! Did you hear? I'm one of your biggest fans!"

*Looks at greg*

"AJ!"

"What the f*** is SoxTalk? Some stupid Boston site?"

"No! A White Sox discussion page."

"Who f***ing cares?"

That's about how that'd go.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 05:26 PM)
I define it as a guy who goes out of his way to be mean or belittle people, especially the ancillary non-baseball people around people like the clubhouse people and the medical staff. Obviously, I'm sensitive to the medical staff who work their a** off to keep these guys on the field. He's not like Bonds who is in a different a** class but would ignore most people. AJ would treat people poorly not necessarily other players, although he did that too, but most commonly the others around.

This is what I call a bad person. He is not the only one by far, I've seen worse than him but he is in the team picture.

And who the f*** are you? Are you a sox employee? Or just someone who claims to know behind the scenes info?t

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 09:28 PM)
And who the f*** are you? Are you a sox employee? Or just someone who claims to know behind the scenes info?t

I worked on the medical staff for the Brewers and Marlins and a few minor league teams and still have a number of friends and colleagues who still work in MLB.