Outdoors Thread

DukeNukeEm

I noticed that the partiipants paid much closer attention in the Wilderness class than any other First Aid class I attended. It could be that the participants are more self selected, I really hope it was because people recognized the differences you mentioned. We estimated that in our program the most time it would take to get someone to a full trauma center was about 6 hours, and that was with a fluke wind condition on a sailing trip. There were scenarios that could happen on one of our fishing adventures that everyone's cell phones could be useless, that no boats passed by, that it would be much longer, but the chances were very slim that that could happen. Injury or illness at sea was the number one concern.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tex @ May 6, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)
I noticed that the partiipants paid much closer attention in the Wilderness class than any other First Aid class I attended. It could be that the participants are more self selected, I really hope it was because people recognized the differences you mentioned. We estimated that in our program the most time it would take to get someone to a full trauma center was about 6 hours, and that was with a fluke wind condition on a sailing trip. There were scenarios that could happen on one of our fishing adventures that everyone's cell phones could be useless, that no boats passed by, that it would be much longer, but the chances were very slim that that could happen. Injury or illness at sea was the number one concern.

Yeah, it all depends on usage.

For me, with the groups I was bringing out, we'd be backpacking or canoeing multiple days into a true wilderness. If someone breaks a leg, it could literally be days before they are extracted. Fortunately nowadays we carry a SPOT transponder, but even then, you are still talking hours minimum, if someone isn't mobile enough to move. And helicopter/seaplane isn't always an option, which means a crew might have to walk and/or ATV in, which could take a long time.

For that matter, one of the worst aspects in those scenarios is, you may not know when help will arrive. Where we go, cell phones are often useless, and the transponder only works one-way. We carry 2-way radios with a theoretical range of 15 to 30 miles (though usually less for practical purposes), but not all the agencies doing rescue will use that system, so they are mostly only good for talking amongst ourselves.

• 1 month later...

Any recommendations for a good, decently priced tent that will hold up well in thunderstorm conditions? 2- or 3-person tent. Preferable no more than $200-250. I'm not sure I'll find what I'm looking for at that price, but might as well ask some of you experienced folks.

I'll be camping at Bonnaroo Music Festival from Thursday-Monday, and the chance of thunderstorms is fairly high. Like 50% on Sat/Sun. The tent that I have is great in good weather, but not so much in rain. Any suggestions are welcome.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 05:15 PM)
Any recommendations for a good, decently priced tent that will hold up well in thunderstorm conditions? 2- or 3-person tent. Preferable no more than $200-250. I'm not sure I'll find what I'm looking for at that price, but might as well ask some of you experienced folks.

I'll be camping at Bonnaroo Music Festival from Thursday-Monday, and the chance of thunderstorms is fairly high. Like 50% on Sat/Sun. The tent that I have is great in good weather, but not so much in rain. Any suggestions are welcome.

I've been to Bonnaroo 4 times and it rained every time.

You could definitely go cheaper than this, but REI brand stuff is usually good quality for the price.

http://www.rei.com/product/777757/?cm_mmc=...532232240"" target="_blank">REI Camp Dome 4 Tent

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 06:27 PM)
I've been to Bonnaroo 4 times and it rained every time.

You could definitely go cheaper than this, but REI brand stuff is usually good quality for the price.

REI Camp Dome 4 Tent

Sweet. Thanks! Any Bonnaroo pointers or tips that may not be well-known? This is my first time going.

tent.jpg

A tent like this will come in really handy to keep you out of the sun and/or the rain at your campsite. Obviously stay hydrated and if you partake in substances, pace yourself, its a long weekend. Bring earplugs, toilet paper, and some kind of footwear that you will be ok with getting rid of afterward. If you are taking food, take a good cooler, although there is enough vending that you can get away with not bringing any food and you will be fine as long as you have cash.

Edited by Leonard Zelig

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 05:15 PM)

Get some good tarps.

Going to Colorado to work the World Lacrosse Championships this summer. We're going to take an extra week to vacation. We go out almost every winter for skiing but haven't spent much time there in the summer.

Any specific ideas for fun. We have booked zip line tours, white water rafting, atv tours and a wolf park walk on a full moon.

• 1 month later...

The outdoors suck.. Girlfriend and I took our dog to a state park and went on a trail. During the 2 mile hike we found at least 6 ticks on our dog just on her fur and were able to get them off during the walk.. I got a bunch of little critters on my lower part of my leg. Think they are seed ticks, got them all off after scrubbing myself a lot when getting home and having my girlfriend pick at my body like apes tonight.. We have found at least 4 ticks on our dog tonight going through her (she is part border collie/lab and has a lot of black fur) so we don't think we have all them. Good news for the dog is we gave her front line around 20 days ago so we think the ticks will not stick to her skin but not for sure.. We also found a 2 ticks from all the laundry and towels we used today, found them after they went through the washer and dryer, no clue how they survived that.. Also found one crawling up my leg driving back home, Oh and I found a small one on my balls, woo.

So if you are counting at home we have encounter roughly 14 ticks today, probably more and a bunch of litter critters (we think baby ticks) all over my leg and body..

Never going on a trail again...

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 12:53 AM)
The outdoors suck.. Girlfriend and I took our dog to a state park and went on a trail. During the 2 mile hike we found at least 6 ticks on our dog just on her fur and were able to get them off during the walk.. I got a bunch of little critters on my lower part of my leg. Think they are seed ticks, got them all off after scrubbing myself a lot when getting home and having my girlfriend pick at my body like apes tonight.. We have found at least 4 ticks on our dog tonight going through her (she is part border collie/lab and has a lot of black fur) so we don't think we have all them. Good news for the dog is we gave her front line around 20 days ago so we think the ticks will not stick to her skin but not for sure.. We also found a 2 ticks from all the laundry and towels we used today, found them after they went through the washer and dryer, no clue how they survived that.. Also found one crawling up my leg driving back home, Oh and I found a small one on my balls, woo.

So if you are counting at home we have encounter roughly 14 ticks today, probably more and a bunch of litter critters (we think baby ticks) all over my leg and body..

Never going on a trail again...

That's pretty bad luck, and they only come out certain times of the year.

I've been camping multiple times this year already, and in previous years I've been in some hardcore places like the Boundary Waters, and have had 1 single tick on me the entire time, and I've been doing this for greater than 30 years.

They usually hang around in tall grass, etc...so stay away from those areas...well kept trails usually don't have them.

:P

Edited by Y2HH

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 08:23 AM)
Both Olympic and Mt. Rainier were amazing. Add Washington to the list of states I'd rather live in than Illinois.

...and here are the others:

Alabama

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana Nebraska

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

North Dakota

Ohio

Oklahoma

Oregon

Pennsylvania Rhode Island

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

Vermont

Virginia

Washington

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)

Alabama

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana Nebraska

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

North Dakota

Ohio

Oklahoma

Oregon

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

Vermont

Virginia

Washington

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming

I call BS on that one. People in Florida are crazy.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)

Alabama

Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Idaho

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan

Minnesota

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana Nebraska

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina

North Dakota

Ohio

Oklahoma

Oregon

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

Vermont

Virginia

Washington

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming

You wanna know, how I know, that your list is fake? Iowa is on it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
You wanna know, how I know, that your list is fake? Iowa is on it.

It's not a state being run into the ground by IL politicians, so it's better and belongs.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 11:57 AM)
The Northwoods were exactly how i remembered them. That place is in a time capsule.

I had so much fun last week teaching my kids and wife to fish

Where'd you go?

I'm heading up there next week for about 5 days myself.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 12:17 PM)
Where'd you go?

I'm heading up there next week for about 5 days myself.

We stayed at Hillside Resort on Lac Vieux Desert. I havent been there in 15 years, the weather was great, the bugs werent bad, the food and fishing was great.

On the way back we stopped and visited some friends staying on Little St Germain at Elberts resort, and rode the go karts at Elmers. And then did the scenic route through Minocqua.

It really was a great trip. We are looking to do 2 weeks next year

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 08:23 AM)
Both Olympic and Mt. Rainier were amazing. Add Washington to the list of states I'd rather live in than Illinois.

Did Olympic once, 5 days up and down the Hoh River Trail, it was great. Haven't done Rainier yet.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
We stayed at Hillside Resort on Lac Vieux Desert. I havent been there in 15 years, the weather was great, the bugs werent bad, the food and fishing was great.

On the way back we stopped and visited some friends staying on Little St Germain at Elberts resort, and rode the go karts at Elmers. And then did the scenic route through Minocqua.

It really was a great trip. We are looking to do 2 weeks next year

Its the unofficial Chicago suburban living thing, have to take summer vacations with the kids to northern Wisconsin or the UP. We did Eagle River most years, Hayward once. Went back as adults some years ago, felt odd, but looked EXACTLY the same.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 08:33 AM)
Did Olympic once, 5 days up and down the Hoh River Trail, it was great. Haven't done Rainier yet.

We did about 3 miles up the Hoh River Trail one afternoon. Great trail, but never really got to the steep parts. I don't know that I'd say one park was better than they other, but Olympic was really more like three or four separate parks than one big, cohesive park. You have the coasts and tide pools, several different rain forests, and then the mountains and ridges.

I'm slowly working on convincing my wife to do some backpacking. I think she's up for a short overnight or maybe two nights at this point.