2014-2015 NCAA football thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)
So all they need to do now is buy a Heisman level QB to come play for them and then get an offensive coordinator who is the real brains behind the operation and they can compete for a national title, suck when they offensive coordinator leaves, fire Riley, and then hire the offensive coordinator back to win again?

So hire Scott Frost as OC. Give $200 K to a "church" ran by a recruits dad. Win NC. Fire Riley. Then bring Frost back to go play in NC again. Sign me up.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Sox Fan In Husker Land @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 09:04 PM)
So hire Scott Frost as OC. Give $200 K to a "church" ran by a recruits dad. Win NC. Fire Riley. Then bring Frost back to go play in NC again. Sign me up.

Yeah I'm sure Frost will make that lateral move.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)
But even if he did well enough for OSU, it's not like it was the golden years of that program, or even considerably better than what it was before.

It depends if you give him any credit for starting the turnaround his two years before Dennis Erickson. From 1971-1996 before Riley's first stint there, they had zero winning seasons, they were one of the worst programs in all of football.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 03:05 PM)
Plus he was there during a horrific gang rape scandal

Yeah, that's gonna be a problem for him.

Oregon St. was 52-219-5 from 1972-1996. Under Riley they went 93-80 in 14 years. From 1893 (that is 1893 not a typo) to 2002 Oregon St. had 7 seasons where they won 8 games or more. 2003 to now they have won 8 games or more 6 times. In 2012 Mike Riley's Oregon St team beat Wisconsin 10-7. Nebraska beat Wisconsin 30-27 that year and then lost to them 31-70 in the Big Ten Championship. I also agree that this could be Chizik like in that he went from a garbage program to a good program. Chizik was 5-19 at ISU though. I would compare OSU before Riley to KSU before Snyder. KSU had the distinct advantage of the local JUCOs in KS that helped them build, that and Bill Snyder is a damn good coach. I just hope that with the resources that NU will offer Riley that he can make a jump to the next level as a coach.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 03:11 PM)
I think its a step down to be honest

As a Husker fan it pains me to say it is a step down, Oregon's offense (albeit it was all started by Chip Kelly) is the most know offense in college. However, I could see Scott coming back to Lincoln as OC if he were also made coach in waiting. Riley is 61.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 04:30 PM)
Well that's a kick in the balls. Apparently there might not be enough bowl games for the bowl eligible Big Ten teams. I'm sure Illinois would be the first team out. Need Wisconsin to beat Ohio State in order to get the bid.

While it would suck, I would find it a little amusing that the primary justification for Beckman coming back just didn't happen. Realistically, a bowl spot will open up somewhere that would be interested in taking on a Big Ten team, albeit a bad one.

Well that's a kick in the balls. Apparently there might not be enough bowl games for the bowl eligible Big Ten teams. I'm sure Illinois would be the first team out. Need Wisconsin to beat Ohio State in order to get the bid.

Better get those extra practices in before they get denied!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 04:47 PM)
About 10 years ago, Riley turned down the Bama HC job (after he left the Chargers).

Surprising, considering Riley played under Bear Bryant at Alabama. During that time period, it was just about conserving the good 'ol boys network; I'm shocked they didn't convince him to come back. But I wish they had. Maybe it would have meant they never had the Saban dynasty.

More importantly: I want to know how, in that time period, a guy from Idaho ends up playing college football in Alabama.

It's not the opposite of that scenario?

There are 81 bowl eligible teams, plus two more than can become eligible by winning this weekend. There are 78 bowl slots. I find it hard to believe that a BIG team is one of the only 3 teams left out.

Bowls aren't going to pick these teams over Illinois:

6-6 Ohio

7-5 Central Michigan

6-6 South Alabama

7-5 Texas State

6-6 Old Dominion

Not sure about how the OSU-Wisconsin game affects things, but you definitely want Oklahoma to beat Ok St and Tulane to beat Temple.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 02:23 AM)
It's not the opposite of that scenario?

If Alabama wins, MSU is very likely going to the Orange Bowl. For some contractual reason, that eliminates a Big Ten spot in the Citrus Bowl. The only way to get a spot back is if Wisconsin beats OSU, and both of those teams, along with MSU, qualify for a New Year's Six Bowl or whatever it's called.

https://espn.go.com/college-football/story/...miss-postseason

If Alabama wins, MSU is very likely going to the Orange Bowl. For some contractual reason, that eliminates a Big Ten spot in the Citrus Bowl. The only way to get a spot back is if Wisconsin beats OSU, and both of those teams, along with MSU, qualify for a New Year's Six Bowl or whatever it's called.

https://espn.go.com/college-football/story/...miss-postseason

The new playoff/bowl structure has created some very odd bowl procedures.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 06:55 AM)
There are 81 bowl eligible teams, plus two more than can become eligible by winning this weekend. There are 78 bowl slots. I find it hard to believe that a BIG team is one of the only 3 teams left out.

6-6 Ohio

7-5 Central Michigan

6-6 South Alabama

7-5 Texas State

6-6 Old Dominion

Not sure about how the OSU-Wisconsin game affects things, but you definitely want Oklahoma to beat Ok St and Tulane to beat Temple.

I know at least South Alabama already accepted a bid.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 06:55 AM)

6-6 Ohio

7-5 Central Michigan

6-6 South Alabama

7-5 Texas State

6-6 Old Dominion

This is a much better way of putting it than I did.

Reports that Memphis and Cincinnati are moving to the Big XII.

UConn continues to get f***ed with this realignments

So I'm going to be within 100 miles of a school in four of the five power conferences. Probably not a lot of people can say that.