2014-2015 NCAA football thread

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 04:27 PM)
I don't really have the time to look up all the schools. If there is a particular school you think that has similar academic standards for athletes AND football achievement as ND, I'd be happy to discuss it.

Notre Dame hasn't won anything in 25 years. Why do you keep discussing them as if they have been some powerhouse showered with all of these football related accolades in recent years? No one cares what Notre Dame did in the 80's or 90's or 40's and 50's. Times change and programs change along with them.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, Athletes that take classes, and zero BCS bowl wins. Got it.

So in order to win your argument, you have to condense the entire history of college football into 4-5 games a year for the last 15 years. I guess if that's what it takes.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 03:37 PM)
So in order to win your argument, you have to condense the entire history of college football into 4-5 games a year for the last 15 years. I guess if that's what it takes.

Come on dude, if you're going by that standard both Harvard and Yale are 1000 times more "special" than Notre Dame.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 03:37 PM)

Oh, we are going by the entire HISTORY of college football including the way academics were back then, why didnt you mention that? Thats make the diagram MUCH easier to build.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 04:37 PM)

If you're going to compare modern day academic standards then you have to use the same measuring stick when it comes to athletic success. Notre Dame may do a fantastic job at the former, I don't know, but the latter has been nothing special.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)
Come on dude, if you're going by that standard both Harvard and Yale are 1000 times more "special" than Notre Dame.

Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Cornell, Army, Stanford, and Penn would fall into that 1000 times argument as well.

Oh, we are going by the entire HISTORY of college football including the way academics were back then, why didnt you mention that? Thats make the diagram MUCH easier to build.

I'm not talking about the entire history of college football, but singling out a group of less than 60 individual games and using that as the standard is awfully restrictive. Since their last championship in '88, ND has had six top ten final rankings, including three top five. There are plenty of teams who have won BCS bowl games that can't claim that.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 03:45 PM)
I'm not talking about the entire history of college football, but singling out a group of less than 60 individual games and using that as the standard is awfully restrictive. Since their last championship in '88, ND has had six top ten final rankings, including three top five. There are plenty of teams who have won BCS bowl games that can't claim that.

Lol, really basing something on polls now? Talk about moving a target, especially one that has proven to overrate Notre Dame.

Lol, really basing something on polls now? Talk about moving a target, especially one that has proven to overrate Notre Dame.

Postseason rankings are much less biased than preseason or even mid-season.

Still, over the entirety of the last 25 years, where would you rank ND's body of work? Is the 20-30 range fair?

Even if you think it should be lower than 30, it's still going to be higher than Northwestern, Miami, or any other school you can come up with where athletes are held to similar academic standards as ND. Stanford is the only school in that group that has a football program that matches up with ND, even as bad as they have been since Holtz left.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)

Still, over the entirety of the last 25 years, where would you rank ND's body of work? Is the 20-30 range fair?

Even if you think it should be lower than 30, it's still going to be higher than Northwestern, Miami, or any other school you can come up with where athletes are held to similar academic standards as ND. Stanford is the only school in that group that has a football program that matches up with ND, even as bad as they have been since Holtz left.

I would agree with the 20-30 range, maybe even as high as 15, but I think there is a wide gap between the top 10 or so programs of the past 25 years and the programs you'd find in that range.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 03:48 PM)

Once again, I dont agree with that. I dont even think Stanford holds their Athletes up to as high of a standard as their student body. Football is big money as is recruiting, athletes get their hands held at every turn, including at Notre Dame.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
I think I noted in an earlier post. There are schools that hold their athletes to high academic standards, and there are schools that have had a high level of success on the field. There are very few schools that have done both. I can make you a Venn diagram if you need it.

What you posted on course load meant nothing. Literally nothing. You did nothing to differentiate that courseload from that of another college campus and as I pointed out, that load, like a lot of early freshman classes, included a good amount of fluff courses.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 04:28 PM)
What you posted on course load meant nothing. Literally nothing. You did nothing to differentiate that courseload from that of another college campus and as I pointed out, that load, like a lot of early freshman classes, included a good amount of fluff courses.

Isnt theology a fluff course? I mean is there a wrong answer?

Well, I'm sure just about any college can tack terms like "literature" or "philosophy" on about any course, those courses at ND require an awful lot of writing and critical thinking.

I was a math major and the amount of writing I had to do in all those classes was pure torture.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 04:41 PM)
Well, I'm sure just about any college can tack terms like "literature" or "philosophy" on about any course, those courses at ND require an awful lot of writing and critical thinking.

I was a math major and the amount of writing I had to do in all those classes was pure torture.

How many other universities have you attended?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 02:41 PM)

And how does that give you any clarity into what people had to do at other schools. You will probably respond with, I did more then my friends at X school or Y school but again, there are many factors that would go into that response too, maybe you friends got bad grades, maybe they were less likely to exaggerate and thought everything was easy, I don't know. All I know is you are doing a hell of a lot of generalization. Like I said, I tend to believe there are probably less things brushed aside at many other powerhouse football schools then ND, but I don't know that anything you have posted validates that.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
And how does that give you any clarity into what people had to do at other schools. You will probably respond with, I did more then my friends at X school or Y school but again, there are many factors that would go into that response too, maybe you friends got bad grades, maybe they were less likely to exaggerate and thought everything was easy, I don't know. All I know is you are doing a hell of a lot of generalization. Like I said, I tend to believe there are probably less things brushed aside at many other powerhouse football schools then ND, but I don't know that anything you have posted validates that.

Because other school's classes are bulls*** dammit!!!

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 22, 2014 -> 10:19 PM)
So do we like Baylor or Oklahoma to win the Big 12 this year? I'm not sure how the Irish tie into that race at all.

Well Scott Drew doesn't coach Baylor's football team, so they've got a shot to actually perform when it counts.

Was that Oklahoma RB who was suspended for the year actually going to be a factor?

Edited by farmteam

How many other universities have you attended?

Aside from ND, I have attended two BIG universities and also taught math classes at two. The math classes I taught at both schools were well below the lowest level of math offered at ND.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 07:12 AM)
Aside from ND, I have attended two BIG universities and also taught math classes at two. The math classes I taught at both schools were well below the lowest level of math offered at ND.

Wow, I didnt know you were a professor with 3 degrees.

Wow, I didnt know you were a professor with 3 degrees.

Two degrees, but taught classes while working on my master's and also later on as an adjunct. Don't have to have a PhD. to teach 100 level classes at most big schools.