2014-2015 NCAA football thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
If Michigan State can win at Oregon on Sept. 6, they would definitely be in the playoff talk with a conference championship, even with a loss in a weaker conference.

If they have a loss I dont think they are getting in. You have to be undefeated.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)
Not with 4 teams, you don't.

I don't know if a 1 loss Big 10 team is getting in over what I presume will be a couple 1 loss SEC / PAC 12 teams / FSU. I am going to presume, unless FSU loses more then 1 game, that they will be in the final 4 (with their schedule and the health of Winston pretty decent chance they lose 0 to 1 games). I can't see a Big team getting in under most scenarios, unless of course the PAC / SEC really beat each other up and a bunch of 2 loss teams emerge.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)
I don't know if a 1 loss Big 10 team is getting in over what I presume will be a couple 1 loss SEC / PAC 12 teams / FSU. I am going to presume, unless FSU loses more then 1 game, that they will be in the final 4 (with their schedule and the health of Winston pretty decent chance they lose 0 to 1 games). I can't see a Big team getting in under most scenarios, unless of course the PAC / SEC really beat each other up and a bunch of 2 loss teams emerge.

That's why I mentioned the MSU/Oregon game. Given how the selection committee has emphasized strength of schedule, specifically out of conference, that's the type of game that could boost a B1G team even with a loss in a weaker overall conference. Obviously it will be tough for MSU to win, but the chance is out there.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 03:29 PM)
I've got the undefeated ACC team, the undefeated Pac 12 team and the 1 loss and undefeated SEC teams in way before a one loss Big Ten team.

If MSU beats Oregon early on it is very likely that there will be no undefeated Pac 12 team. Even if Oregon wins that game they could still easily lose a regular season game. I would actually bet that there is no undefeated pac 12 team this year.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 01:33 PM)
If MSU beats Oregon early on it is very likely that there will be no undefeated Pac 12 team. Even if Oregon wins that game they could still easily lose a regular season game. I would actually bet that there is no undefeated pac 12 team this year.

If PAC 10 / SEC have multiple one loss teams, those teams are getting in over a 1 loss big team. I presume you will have 3 0 to 1 loss teams within the SEC / PAC at a minimum and then I expect FSU to be in that same scenario and would then have all of those teams going over a 1 loss MSU team. I technically think you could have scenarios where BIG school would have the stronger schedule over FSU, but being defending champs would give them a nudge over the Big team.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 03:51 PM)
If PAC 10 / SEC have multiple one loss teams, those teams are getting in over a 1 loss big team. I presume you will have 3 0 to 1 loss teams within the SEC / PAC at a minimum and then I expect FSU to be in that same scenario and would then have all of those teams going over a 1 loss MSU team. I technically think you could have scenarios where BIG school would have the stronger schedule over FSU, but being defending champs would give them a nudge over the Big team.

Oh, I completely agree. I just didn't think there would be that many undefeated teams.

It gets interesting if MSU beats Oregon early on and then loses in heartbreak fashion to Wisconsin or OSU as their one loss. Would a one loss Oregon team get over a one loss MSU team in that case? I doubt it happens, obviously.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 03:40 PM)
3 undefeated teams? How often does that happen?

I'm saying in that scenario those are all a given. A one loss SEC or Pac 12 team probably also trumps a one loss Big Ten team unless the Big Ten loss is in conference.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 03:54 PM)
Oh, I completely agree. I just didn't think there would be that many undefeated teams.

It gets interesting if MSU beats Oregon early on and then loses in heartbreak fashion to Wisconsin or OSU as their one loss. Would a one loss Oregon team get over a one loss MSU team in that case? I doubt it happens, obviously.

Probably because the loss to MSU is probably better than a Big Ten loss in people's eyes.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 03:29 PM)
I've got the undefeated ACC team, the undefeated Pac 12 team and the 1 loss and undefeated SEC teams in way before a one loss Big Ten team.

That's a lot of assumptions.

But, I was reacting literally to your post about "having to be undefeated." Not totally specific to MSU.

I just highly doubt 4 teams are undefeated at the end of the year, let alone 3.

So, if MSU did win that Oregon game and had only 1 loss, they are probably in that conversation for one of those spots, depending on how it plays out. Maybe not more than 50% chance, but they'll be in the mix for it.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 19, 2014 -> 04:28 PM)
That's a lot of assumptions.

But, I was reacting literally to your post about "having to be undefeated." Not totally specific to MSU.

I just highly doubt 4 teams are undefeated at the end of the year, let alone 3.

So, if MSU did win that Oregon game and had only 1 loss, they are probably in that conversation for one of those spots, depending on how it plays out. Maybe not more than 50% chance, but they'll be in the mix for it.

Definitely, depending who that loss was to. I still have any undefeated SEC and one loss team automatically IN.

Listen, I have heard Joe Theismann speak on national television. You don't have to be a genius to get yourself an ND diploma. It's Purdue with nicer helmets.

This kind of bulls*** isn't even journalism. Journalism would actually involve comparing the classes that players have to take to graduate from Notre Dame and Purdue. This is mudslinging that could be accomplished by anybody with an inferiority complex and an internet connection.

Here's Notre Dame investigating commonplace academic fraud and somehow using it to distance itself from the rest of the college football-industrial complex.

OK, well it isn't hard to see that ND is dealing with this problem in a far different manner than North Carolina.

George Gipp was a drunk and a pool-hall gambler who would've put glory's mantle up against your $5 if you spotted him the six and the break.

Whoo! Proving a point with 100 year old reference! While we're at it, let's all s*** all over the 2014 White Sox because of what happened in 1919.

http://deadspin.com/5897809/this-is-what-h...-assaulting-you

More fantastic journalism there. Let's not get the player's side of the story. Let's just assume that the big black man is automatically guilty of raping the frail white woman just because she said so. Other stories covered when Prince Shembo when he addressed the issue, but not deadspin:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-sat...907--ncaaf.html

http://thebiglead.com/2014/02/22/prince-sh...-investigation/

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jtes/notre-dame-li...t-investigation

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/i...zy-seeberg-case

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Prince...-case-4471.html

Deadspin was founded by a UI grad who seems to have some sort of jealous hatred for Notre Dame. There must be something in the water in Champaign.

And while we're at it, where is Tom Seeberg's lawsuit against Prince Shembo and against ND? If there were any evidence at all to support his claims, he'd have filed a lawsuit a long time ago.

All of the posts over the previous ND incidents have been deleted and admin/mods are huddling over how to handle that stuff. Best advice right now for anyone else would be not to go there again.

By anyone you actually mean me. Apparently anybody else can go there and it's fine.

Leitch no longer runs Deadspin, and hasn't for several years. Also, Magary is most definitely not a journalist and doesn't pretend to be. Not sure what you read to make you think that was some deep-thinking investigation piece.

I love your criticism of anything anti-Notre Dame. It's not like you prove Magary's point for him or anything...

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 11:55 AM)
By anyone you actually mean me. Apparently anybody else can go there and it's fine.

Criticism of universities and programs is fine, we draw the line with any poster who is a fan of any university when it gets personal. And it wasnt just your posts that were approaching and straddling the line.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)

No. Discussion is open, however personal attacks are completely unacceptable. There is a total difference. This site isn't censoring people's opinions, whether pro ND or anti ND. This site is saying that you can argue factually but the moment it gets personal, suspensions and or bannings are being handed out. The reason everything was deleted in the first place is because people couldn't stay on point and instead got into a personal insult fest that are completely intolerable.

Personal Note: I'm an ND fan but people can have their own damn opinions too (positive / negative). It doesn't personally effect me or hurt me if a billion people wanted to cheer against ND or anything else.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 21, 2014 -> 10:35 AM)
They hired Brian Kelly, of course they aren't any more special than anyone else. It's fine to be like everyone else, just please stop pretending you aren't.

What exactly is wrong with Brian Kelly? Is this going to go back to the videographer accident?

What exactly is wrong with Brian Kelly? Is this going to go back to the videographer accident?

As much as I defend ND, I am not at all a fan of Kelly. The problem is that if you don't have personal knowledge of the university, you don't understand the difference between the university and the football program. The university, with little factual doubt, demands more academically of football players (and all athletes) than any FBS school except Northwestern and possibly Stanford. The university also holds football program itself accountable in ways that doesn't happen at other big time programs. At most SEC, ACC, and Big 12 schools, the football/basketball programs run pretty much unchecked. There is at least some accountability in the Big 10 and Pac 12, because most of those schools do have academic reputations, but even there (again except for NW and Stan) the athletic programs still have a lot more leeway than at ND.

I never wanted Kelly hired in the first place. He always seemed shady to me. Of course, I wanted Skip Holtz and he couldn't even manage to keep a job at South Florida, so I admit I didn't have the right alternative to Kelly.

The problem is that Kelly can't actually be tied to all of these problems. I truly believe that he was not involved in or even aware of all of these academic fraud problems, but I also believe that he has created a culture where this sort of thing seems to happen. Unfortunately it's going to be hard to fire him based on that.

Also, he gets to skate on the videographer accident because his boss was present at practice that day and supported the decision to run practice as usual. If anything, that has to get pinned on the AD (who I actually like much more than Kelly).

So the university is most definitely "special" among FBS institutions in how its athletic programs relate to the university as a whole, but the football program itself has become a lot less "special" under Kelly.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

No. Discussion is open, however personal attacks are completely unacceptable. There is a total difference. This site isn't censoring people's opinions, whether pro ND or anti ND. This site is saying that you can argue factually but the moment it gets personal, suspensions and or bannings are being handed out. The reason everything was deleted in the first place is because people couldn't stay on point and instead got into a personal insult fest that are completely intolerable.

Personal Note: I'm an ND fan but people can have their own damn opinions too (positive / negative). It doesn't personally effect me or hurt me if a billion people wanted to cheer against ND or anything else.

Doesn't bother me either if people are against ND, but when people falsely accuse someone I know of rape, then yeah, that bothers me. Maybe I just need to start sending screenshots to his attorney.