2014-2015 NCAA football thread

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)
Our local NBC station used to pre-empt network programming for SEC football and basketball games, with football games often running beyond ND kickoff time and basketball games often bumping L&O: SVU, so the wife and I are both very happy for the SEC to have their own network so we can have our NBC programming back.

What's going on with the academic suspension rumors in South Bend?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 11:40 AM)
I haven't talked to anybody up there in a while and haven't heard anything new. Are you hearing specific names?

Moore, Russell, Daniels, Ishaq reportedly are the players being suspended from the Notre Dame football team.

Same type of case as Gholston?

If they are being dismissed from the University (with the potential to be readmitted after a semester), then that means they have committed a second offense. I would have thought that after Golson, Daniels, and hoops player Grant all got semesters off that would have snapped everybody else into line.

Still, the timing of this is odd. Unless these guys were enrolled in summer classes and their second offense occurred in one of those classes, the dismissal would not be coming right now.

Daniels has already been kicked out once, so if he is indeed up to his third offense then he's gone for good. Probably can start next week at FSU though.

OK, I'm reading more about this. Supposedly this is something that happened in 2012 but was just discovered recently. ND would be declaring these players retroactively ineligible for the 2012 season and vacating wins, even though the offenses don't necessarily meet the standard the NCAA would use to declare the students ineligible and forcibly vacate wins.

Sounds like the university is incredibly pissed and trying to send a very strong message.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 11:53 AM)
OK, I'm reading more about this. Supposedly this is something that happened in 2012 but was just discovered recently. ND would be declaring these players retroactively ineligible for the 2012 season and vacating wins, even though the offenses don't necessarily meet the standard the NCAA would use to declare the students ineligible and forcibly vacate wins.

Sounds like the university is incredibly pissed and trying to send a very strong message.

Gotcha, makes sense. I thought it was weird that it would have continued after all that has happened.

Never a bad time, he's a dickface, but he can coach.

Then he should go to the SEC. I don't want a dickface coaching ND. I'm not saying I want Charlie Weis back and go 7-5 every year, but there has to be somebody out there who can win without being shady.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
Then he should go to the SEC. I don't want a dickface coaching ND. I'm not saying I want Charlie Weis back and go 7-5 every year, but there has to be somebody out there who can win without being shady.

In today's environment, it seems tougher than ever.

In today's environment, it seems tougher than ever.

Has it really gotten to the point that a clean football program has no more chance of winning a National Championship than a clean cyclist winning the Tour de France from 1992-09?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)

I'm actually not sure that is possible (well at least winning big) in college football.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/...ng-irish-081514

One year after Notre Dame football lost its starting QB, Everett Golson, for the 2013 season after he was caught cheating on an exam, the Fighting Irish team is dealing with the repercussions from more academic fraud.

This time, four starters have been dismissed from ND after the school conducted an internal investigation this summer, sources close to the program told FOX Sports.

It is unclear at this time if the four players will be able allowed to return to the school in the future as Golson has after he sat out the entire fall semester. He returned to South Bend last winter and has won his old starting QB job.

The Irish, ranked No. 17 in the preseason coaches poll, open the year Aug. 30 against Rice.

Notre Dame is self sanctioning themselves on offenses the NCAA or most schools wouldn't do anything about.

And they're going to get eaten alive in the media for it, even though it's the right move and they're doing it to themselves.

Notre Dame is self sanctioning themselves on offenses the NCAA or most schools wouldn't do anything about.

And they're going to get eaten alive in the media for it, even though it's the right move and they're doing it to themselves.

Yes, ND is taking a step that most schools wouldn't take. But this kind of s*** shouldn't even be happening in the first place. I don't want ND to become just another football factory.

Official statement:

http://news.nd.edu/news/49851-notre-dame-r...-investigation/

Note: A news conference at 6 p.m. today will be streamed live on the University’s website, news.nd.edu, and the athletics website, www.und.com.

The University of Notre Dame is investigating suspected academic dishonesty on the part of several students, including four members of the football team. Because of the potential for NCAA violations, the University notified the NCAA today, and the four football players will be held out of practice and competition until the conclusion of an ongoing investigation and the University honor code process. Any possible academic dishonesty by other students will be addressed appropriately.

“Integrity is at the heart of our mission and academic misconduct will not be tolerated at Notre Dame,” said Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C., the University’s president. “If the suspected improprieties are proven, we will use the experience to reinforce among our students the importance of honesty in all that they do. We are also examining ways of better conveying to students that they can avail themselves of legitimate academic assistance without resorting to cheating.”

Evidence that students had submitted papers and homework that had been written for them by others was initially detected at the end of the summer session, and referred to the compliance office in athletics on July 29. The Office of General Counsel initiated an immediate investigation.

That investigation is ongoing. If it determines that the student-athletes would have been ineligible during past competition, Notre Dame will voluntarily vacate any victories in which they participated.

“The University is committed to thorough resolution of this matter, consistent with its commitment to academic integrity and adherence to NCAA rules," Father Jenkins said.

Students who are subject to the investigation will remain enrolled until its conclusion.

How noble of Notre Dame. They're such a classy university and have such integrity. 😏

The university has plenty of integrity. Their football coach and many of they players he has brought in have none.

ND has this as the #1 story on their website. It's swept under the rug at most schools.