2014-2015 NCAA football thread

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
I'd like someone to describe what "route" he was running there.

It's just funny because if the exact opposite happened...FSU runs that play, touchdown nullified, ND fans would be saying what you're saying - easy call, run blocking on a pass.

I can't believe its hours later and the conspiracy is still going on. ND used picks 8 times that game and FSU clearly told the refs to watch for it. ND actually ran the exact same play earlier and magically neither WR blocked before the ball was thrown.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 11:13 AM)
Look at the play very closely. Both defenders are directly engaging Prosise and Fuller. In Prosise's case it's 100% clear that the defender is using his hands and Prosise is not. Neither of the defenders are making any sort of attempt to cover Robinson. The PI rules specifically states that to be offensive PI, the receiver has to be impeding the defender, but neither defender is making an attempt to move towards Robinson so nothing is being impeded.

YOU CAN'T GRAB ONE RECEIVER AND THEN COMPLAIN THAT HE WAS KEEPING YOU FROM COVERING ANOTHER. Well, you can because you're Florida State at home, but in the real world that's not the rule.

http://thebiglead.com/2014/10/19/notre-dam...h.R99xdXRq.gbpl

On top of all of that, an FSU player took off his helmet while celebrating the penalty call. Even if you think the bogus penalty call should stand, it should have been first and goal from the 6 with 13 seconds left and there is no subjectivity in that rule.

The ND receiver directly engages the FSU DB in a block. Shoves him off of the play. It is easy to see.

EDIT> Even in that clip you can see ND #7 engage and shove #3 off of the play before the ball is even in the air, let alone caught.

The ND receiver directly engages the FSU DB in a block. Shoves him off of the play. It is easy to see.

EDIT> Even in that clip you can see ND #7 engage and shove #3 off of the play before the ball is even in the air, let alone caught.

Fuller (7) is running straight ahead and #3 puts his hands on him from an inside position while Robinson is heading out. At no point is either defending making any sort of effort to cover Robinson. The coaches even admitted they were in man coverage. The guy who is supposed to be on Robinson (#26) isn't being impeded by anybody.

Just read the rule. Contact by the offensive player alone isn't enough for a penalty. It has to be contact that impedes coverage of another receiver.

The only case you have Hickory is often pass interference is overlooked especially when not involving the WR catching the pass, but the right call was made and no matter what you say and try to do nobody will agree with you it was the wrong call either.

No, it's not the right call. I read the rule and watched the play a dozen times. It does not fit the criteria for pass interference.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 12:15 PM)
I'd like someone to describe what "route" he was running there.

It's just funny because if the exact opposite happened...FSU runs that play, touchdown nullified, ND fans would be saying what you're saying - easy call, run blocking on a pass.

I think it's called a "sled route". You know, when the coach blows the whistle and the player runs up to the sled and tries to push it back a few yards.

Just read the rule. Contact by the offensive player alone isn't enough for a penalty. It has to be contact that impedes coverage of another receiver.

it wasnt contact, it was blocking. my gosh youre pathetic on this.

i guess every college commentator in the world is wrong and ND fans are correct. Even that moron ND fanboy Lou Holtz knew it was a pick play.

it wasnt contact, it was blocking. my gosh youre pathetic on this.

i guess every college commentator in the world is wrong and ND fans are correct. Even that moron ND fanboy Lou Holtz knew it was a pick play.

It wasn't blocking. Defenders put their hands on the receivers first. Receivers were just happy to play along.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 11:32 AM)
Fuller (7) is running straight ahead and #3 puts his hands on him from an inside position while Robinson is heading out. At no point is either defending making any sort of effort to cover Robinson. The coaches even admitted they were in man coverage. The guy who is supposed to be on Robinson (#26) isn't being impeded by anybody.

That isn't at all what happened. Not even close.

I know the rule. I saw the exact same penalty called against my HS out of the bubble screen, and it was still the right call. You can't block until the reciever has the ball. Period. ND7 is out blocking in front of the play. It wasn't even an attempt an an innocent rub. It was a full on block.

Playoff/Bowl Projections:

Sugar Bowl: (1) Florida State 13-0 vs (4) Oregon 12-1

Rose Bowl: (2) Alabama 11-1 vs (3) Mississippi 12-1

Orange Bowl: (16) Clemson 10-2 vs (6) Notre Dame 11-1

Peach Bowl: (5) Michigan State 12-1 vs (8) Mississippi State 10-2

Cotton Bowl: (7) TCU 11-1 vs (9) Auburn 10-2

Fiesta Bowl: (10) Georgia 11-2 vs (11) East Carolina 11-1

I know the rule. I saw the exact same penalty called against my HS out of the bubble screen, and it was still the right call. You can't block until the reciever has the ball. Period. ND7 is out blocking in front of the play. It wasn't even an attempt an an innocent rub. It was a full on block.

It's not a block if the defender initiates contact, and I think HS rules are different.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 11:58 AM)

Yup it's very clear to everyone that's not wearing a tinfoil hat.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 12:03 PM)
If Oregon wins out and gets the 4 seed, FSU may not make it to play an SEC team in the championship.

I agree with that but who knows how the seeding will break down. Either way, I don't expect FSU to have much luck in the playoff.

Yup it's very clear to everyone that's not wearing a tinfoil hat.

No tinfoil hat. I don't think the refs screwed ND intentionally. They got swayed by some timely acting and begging by the home team. Mistakes happen. No way that call gets made against a home team there.

I agree with that but who knows how the seeding will break down. Either way, I don't expect FSU to have much luck in the playoff.

Well, I expect no undefeated SEC teams so FSU ends up #1 by default. Probably the two best SEC West teams at 2-3 and then Oregon 4. If Oregon loses then MSU is next in line and FSU at least has a chance against them.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)
No tinfoil hat. I don't think the refs screwed ND intentionally. They got swayed by some timely acting and begging by the home team. Mistakes happen. No way that call gets made against a home team there.

Yet you still think it's not a penalty. You spent your first three posts arguing before you even knew who was called on the PI.

Yet you still think it's not a penalty. You spent your first three posts arguing before you even knew who was called on the PI.

Both guys were doing essentially the same thing so it doesn't really matter. I was just going by the analysis done on ESPN after the game where they were highlighting the wrong guy.

Anyways, this kept getting called a pick play. On a pick play you pick the intended receiver's guy, not your own.

The defender closest to Robinson is moving away when he and Fuller first make contact. There is no chance he's influencing that play even if no contact is made. You have to be making an effort to cover the intended receiver for there to be pass interference.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 12:31 PM)
If ND runs the table from here on out. They'll by far have the best loss of the non sec west teams so wouldn't they deserve the spot over MSU or Oregon?

Probably. But that perspective hurts the victim narrative.

If ND runs the table from here on out. They'll by far have the best loss of the non sec west teams so wouldn't they deserve the spot over MSU or Oregon?

That logic does not apply to the polls. ND fell to #8 in the coaches poll, behind both MSU and Oregon (Oregon is behind MSU which is also ridiculous). Now maybe the playoff committee will not be as influenced by the polls as I fear they will be, but ND will most definitely be behind both in the polls if they all end up with 1 loss. Only possible exception is if ND puts up double digit wins against both ASU and USC and the other teams have very close wins against bad teams. That's the only way those votes might flip.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)
I think it's called a "sled route". You know, when the coach blows the whistle and the player runs up to the sled and tries to push it back a few yards.

That's the one, it's on the new route tree.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 11:57 AM)
The call was right. It just should've been overlooked in that situation. Let the players decide the game.

No. This is the dumbest line of reasoning in any sport for any call made involving officials.

And yet you say "the call was right." Then it's made. The end.

By definition, the players DID decide the game by their actions. Otherwise what you are saying is "anything goes" on this last play so "the players decide the game."

BTW, I keep hearing about "he's not being impeded because he's not going anywhere." Not sure if that's actually in the rule, but to me being shoved backwards is impeding.

They tried to run a pick play (or the WR was clueless on how to wait before blocking), didn't think they'd get caught or it'd get called. They were wrong this time.

Edited by IlliniKrush