Can You Win With This Core?

Marty34

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 09:12 PM)
Personally, I still think with his arm, Viciedo can make an adequate corner OF if his bat measures up...his defense in 2012, when the team played like they cared, wasn't all that bad. He will never have the best range but the fact that no one in their right mind would take an extra base on him if it was close makes up for a decent fraction of that. If he'd gotten a tiny bit better in 2013 than he was in 2012 he'd have been a perfectly adequate defender, but the whole team forgot how to "grab the white sphere with your glove" in 2013 and he fit in nicely with that.

Can someone explain to me why his skillset doesn't match better with RF? Really seems like fewer fielding opportunities would be better, and his strong throwing arm is even more of an asset when they need to keep a runner from going first-to-third. Is it JUST the spin on the ball? Why would he be unable to get used to RF spin if he's new to the outfield anyway?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 07:54 PM)
Can someone explain to me why his skillset doesn't match better with RF? Really seems like fewer fielding opportunities would be better, and his strong throwing arm is even more of an asset when they need to keep a runner from going first-to-third. Is it JUST the spin on the ball? Why would he be unable to get used to RF spin if he's new to the outfield anyway?

I totally agree with you. But here's the one problem...since te white sox signed viciedo, he has played 3b, 1b, 3b, rf, and LF, in that order. They even still have him occasionally practicing 3b, including last year.

At some point, the fact that he has bounced between positions so much is a real problem with his development. We should not be surprised that he isn't used to the position when he has had to play so man different positions.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 06:54 PM)

Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that when the decision was made to put Viciedo in left it was because Rios preferred RF and had experience there or something like that. Now after Viciedo has played two full seasons in left they just don't want to make him switch again.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 7, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)
Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that when the decision was made to put Viciedo in left it was because Rios preferred RF and had experience there or something like that. Now after Viciedo has played two full seasons in left they just don't want to make him switch again.

This is essentially what happened.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 08:12 PM)
Personally, I still think with his arm, Viciedo can make an adequate corner OF if his bat measures up...his defense in 2012, when the team played like they cared, wasn't all that bad. He will never have the best range but the fact that no one in their right mind would take an extra base on him if it was close makes up for a decent fraction of that. If he'd gotten a tiny bit better in 2013 than he was in 2012 he'd have been a perfectly adequate defender, but the whole team forgot how to "grab the white sphere with your glove" in 2013 and he fit in nicely with that.

True, Viciedo could stick and play there if he ever actually hits. I'm just thinking long-term as far as maximizing player's value on the field, as Dunn (and Konerko) go away by the end of 2014, does this team look to acquire a new big left-handed slugger at DH? Or can more value be had by putting a great outfield defender in center (pushing Eaton to left) or left. I don't know. It depends on what players are out there. Really makes you wish Trayce Thompson would progress.

2016 Lineup

C Nieto (S)

1B JDA ®

2B Sanchez (S)

SS Semien ®

3B Davidson ®

RF Garcia ®

CF Johnson (L)

LF Eaton (L)

DH Viciedo ®

UTL L Garcia (S)

C Phegley ©

IF Wilkins

OF Mitchell/FA

SP Sale

SP Quitana

SP Johnson

SP Danks

SP Beck

CP Webb

RP Jones

RP Snodgress

RP Petricka

RP Goldberg

RP Wheeler

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 7, 2014 -> 02:14 PM)
Ah. Considering there's no record of him playing a single professional inning anywhere but 2b, I'm going to consider that a flaw.

There have been rumblings of his being a CF in the future if he can't get the errors down at 2B. No idea what the organization thinks, but it has been speculated about.

That is the lineup without spending a dollar in FA, getting anything of use in a trade, or getting a player in the draft that can make an impact quickly (Hoffman). So its unlikely, but not totally impossible. A lot of people would probably put Thompson in at CF, I am not convinced he is ever going to make enough contact to stick.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 7, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
That is the lineup without spending a dollar in FA, getting anything of use in a trade, or getting a player in the draft that can make an impact quickly (Hoffman). So its unlikely, but not totally impossible. A lot of people would probably put Thompson in at CF, I am not convinced he is ever going to make enough contact to stick.

I think Thompson has a break out year with the bat and the sox sell high on him ala Carter and Aaron Cunningham