Midwest Region

Wichita St was/is a very good team. Coin flip game today. One possession game. Unfortunately like Rock said the average person will see undefeated but lost in 2nd round, so they were overrated. I'd say they are easily one of the top 5-10 teams in the country, but it's the tournament...anything happens. That was a man's game today, really good basketball game.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 06:13 PM)
Wichita St was/is a very good team. Coin flip game today. One possession game. Unfortunately like Rock said the average person will see undefeated but lost in 2nd round, so they were overrated. I'd say they are easily one of the top 5-10 teams in the country, but it's the tournament...anything happens. That was a man's game today, really good basketball game.

Exactly. Anybody with a hint of basketball IQ watched a great basketball team lose to an incredibly talented team that played the best game it has all year. That was fun to watch.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 09:37 PM)
Exactly. Anybody with a hint of basketball IQ watched a great basketball team lose to an incredibly talented team that played the best game it has all year. That was fun to watch.

It is fun watching Cleanthony Early play. That guy is a stud! I am kind of wanting the Bulls to draft him!

I don't think it's really fair to say WSU lost that game, as much as Kentucky just beat them and played as well as they have in recent weeks.

Early was amazing, no doubt about it.

Could have gone either way...one of the most entertaining games of the tourney, where every position was "live or die" almost, kind of like the equivalent of watching the movie GRAVITY for the first time.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 10:05 PM)
Well then give out a regular season trophy instead.

All I said was they are championship caliber. That means one of the top 4-5 teams out there. And they proved that, despite losing. That was easily the highest-level of basketball so far in the tournament. Kentucky doesn't have the skill level/potential of an 8 seed, so its a bit unfair to use the round of 32 argument.

s*** happens in a one and done format. Is Mercer really better than Duke? No. For 40 minutes on one occasion they were.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
All I said was they are championship caliber. That means one of the top 4-5 teams out there. And they proved that, despite losing. That was easily the highest-level of basketball so far in the tournament. Kentucky doesn't have the skill level/potential of an 8 seed, so its a bit unfair to use the round of 32 argument.

s*** happens in a one and done format. Is Mercer really better than Duke? No. For 40 minutes on one occasion they were.

They are officially from 16-32 so I do not consider them a contender or a top 4-5 team. I've had my team lose early and I thought the same but the fact is you cannot prove it when you lose so early. Thats the nature of the tournament and nobody will remember them as a championship caliber team nor will they care who they got knocked out by.

Sandwiched around the Kansas State win, Kentucky had a 1 point loss to Florida and a 2 point win over Wichita State, so it's hard to say Wichita State isn't in the same class as Florida, and Florida is #1.

Kentucky is a Top 5 team that has played like a barely-Top 25 team most of the season.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
They are officially from 16-32 so I do not consider them a contender or a top 4-5 team. I've had my team lose early and I thought the same but the fact is you cannot prove it when you lose so early. Thats the nature of the tournament and nobody will remember them as a championship caliber team nor will they care who they got knocked out by.

I dunno, they broke a record for the most wins in a season without a loss right? That'll be remembered. Wich St fans will remember the run.

All i'm saying is when you look at this as a fan of basketball, you can respect Wich St.'s season and see how well they actually played. They were deserving of a #1 seed despite losing in the round of 32.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:11 AM)
Sandwiched around the Kansas State win, Kentucky had a 1 point loss to Florida and a 2 point win over Wichita State, so it's hard to say Wichita State isn't in the same class as Florida, and Florida is #1.

Kentucky is a Top 5 team that has played like a barely-Top 25 team most of the season.

But nobody will remember those specifics, they will only remember them going out in the round of 32 which just isnt that good, especially for a team that was vying to be one of the best teams of all time.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)
I dunno, they broke a record for the most wins in a season without a loss right? That'll be remembered. Wich St fans will remember the run.

All i'm saying is when you look at this as a fan of basketball, you can respect Wich St.'s season and see how well they actually played. They were deserving of a #1 seed despite losing in the round of 32.

I respect them totally, its really hard to go undefeated even in that conference. However going out that early will be all people remember about that team outside of Witchita fans. It sucks but its the way it is with a tournament like this.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)

I disagree, I'll remember who they got knocked out by and that they were a good team.

The NCAA tournament is random by nature, as it is one and done. It's like the baseball playoffs. You just need to be in, and take a spin at the wheel.

Wichita St isn't in the 17-32 range of teams this year, and even you know that, just don't want to admit it. Just like Duke isn't in the 33-64 range of teams, etc.

It's all opinion, but to think you're taking ONLY the results of the NCAA tournament to determine how good a team is/was, is crazy talk.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
I disagree, I'll remember who they got knocked out by and that they were a good team.

The NCAA tournament is random by nature, as it is one and done. It's like the baseball playoffs. You just need to be in, and take a spin at the wheel.

Wichita St isn't in the 17-32 range of teams this year, and even you know that, just don't want to admit it. Just like Duke isn't in the 33-64 range of teams, etc.

It's all opinion, but to think you're taking ONLY the results of the NCAA tournament to determine how good a team is/was, is crazy talk.

I know they are very good, but they wont be remembered like that, thats all I am saying. The result of the tournament tend to overshadow how good a team realistically was. A very good, possibly best team ever (the way they were almost marketed) simply cannot get knocked out in the round of 32.

Nobody remembers how dominant the 2011 Buckeyes were, they only know they got knocked out in the sweet 16 and werent a title contender.

I know they are very good, but they wont be remembered like that, thats all I am saying. The result of the tournament tend to overshadow how good a team realistically was. A very good, possibly best team ever (the way they were almost marketed) simply cannot get knocked out in the round of 32.

Nobody remembers how dominant the 2011 Buckeyes were, they only know they got knocked out in the sweet 16 and werent a title contender.

Not the best team ever, but a very good team can definitely lose in the round of 32, especially to what is probably the most talented 8-seed in the history of the tournament.

There probably isn't another team seeded anywhere from 5-8 that could have beaten WSU--they were very unlucky to draw the one that could.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)
Not the best team ever, but a very good team can definitely lose in the round of 32, especially to what is probably the most talented 8-seed in the history of the tournament.

There probably isn't another team seeded anywhere from 5-8 that could have beaten WSU--they were very unlucky to draw the one that could.

Thats the thing. Who knows that since most of us cannot remember the 8 seeds from the last 5 years. I'm just saying it wont be remembered that way past this month.

Thats the thing. Who knows that since most of us cannot remember the 8 seeds from the last 5 years. I'm just saying it wont be remembered that way past this month.

That's because in the last 5 years, none of the 8 seeds were the preseason #1.

There was a lot of noise when the brackets came out about Kentucky and Louisville both being underseeded and both being in WSU's bracket, so yes, I think this particular 8 vs. 1 upset will be remembered more than most.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 11:39 AM)
That's because in the last 5 years, none of the 8 seeds were the preseason #1.

There was a lot of noise when the brackets came out about Kentucky and Louisville both being underseeded and both being in WSU's bracket, so yes, I think this particular 8 vs. 1 upset will be remembered more than most.

Preseason is bulls***.

In 2011, Butler was an 8 seed and made it to the title game. Are they better or worse than this year's kentucky?

Preseason is bulls***.

In 2011, Butler was an 8 seed and made it to the title game. Are they better or worse than this year's kentucky?

Nate Silver has found that preseason rankings a surprisingly good indicator of tournament success.

The 2011 Butler team isn't nearly as good as the 2014 Kentucky team. That 2011 team didn't have Heyward.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
Nate Silver has found that preseason rankings a surprisingly good indicator of tournament success.

The 2011 Butler team isn't nearly as good as the 2014 Kentucky team. That 2011 team didn't have Heyward.

They beat a #1 and #4 and a #2 seed. Pretty good resume for your "all time greatest 8 seed".

1985 Villanova wants a shot at that title as well.

Edited by RockRaines