Your Current Top 10

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 11:50 AM)
And there is pretty much no 1B prospect who is going to move the guy we have over there now off of 1B.

Yeah, he's kind of good or something.

If Ravelo comes out and hits .330/.450/.600 next year with 30 homers, he'll move into top 5's. His numbers this year, as promising as they are, just don't justify it.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 11:50 AM)
And there is pretty much no 1B prospect who is going to move the guy we have over there now off of 1B.

Uh, yeah,not like Abreu couldn't move to DH to allow a younger and more agile guy to play 1B and give the team better defense...

You guys are over ANALizing this. I simply believe Ravelo is underrated, that's all. Don't complicate it so much.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)
Uh, yeah,not like Abreu couldn't move to DH to allow a younger and more agile guy to play 1B and give the team better defense...

You guys are over ANALizing this. I simply believe Ravelo is underrated, that's all. Don't complicate it so much.

I don't think we disagree that he's likely to be underrated by the national publications, just saying that at 5, we feel he is OVERrated.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)
I don't think we disagree that he's likely to be underrated by the national publications, just saying that at 5, we feel he is OVERrated.

If you're interested in having an actual discussion on it, that's cool. I do respect your baseball knowledge.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
I'd love to hear why you're capitalizing anal here?

Whether it matches your opinion or not a prospect's position definitely plays a factor in the value of said prospect.

If I have to explain it then you should not have joined the discussion.

Furthermore, my opinion bares no relevance to a prospects value so there really is no point behind what you said.

Here's a quick refresher. The thread says " Your current top 10". So I posted what I feel is the top ten, that is all. I stand by my choice of Ravelo at #5, right or wrong, so deal with it. I have no problem with those that disagree, but I'm not going to argue over it either.

What I find hilarious is that out of all the critics that have questioned my #5, only one poster (LDF) has actually bothered to ask why I felt Ravelo should be #5. The rest just want to focus on how I'm wrong instead of trying to have a real discussion about it. No problem for me though, there's plenty of other threads around here so carry on....

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)
If you're interested in having an actual discussion on it, that's cool. I do respect your baseball knowledge.

If I have to explain it then you should not have joined the discussion.

Furthermore, my opinion bares no relevance to a prospects value so there really is no point behind what you said.

Here's a quick refresher. The thread says " Your current top 10". So I posted what I feel is the top ten, that is all. I stand by my choice of Ravelo at #5, right or wrong, so deal with it. I have no problem with those that disagree, but I'm not going to argue over it either.

What I find hilarious is that out of all the critics that have questioned my #5, only one poster (LDF) has actually bothered to ask why I felt Ravelo should be #5. The rest just want to focus on how I'm wrong instead of trying to have a real discussion about it. No problem for me though, there's plenty of other threads around here so carry on....

I have yet to see anything that shows me he is going to provide the onus to move Abreu off of 1B. I think we have other hitters in the system who are ahead of him, and they have positions that they could actually win jobs at.

If Ravelo could be 3B or LF or something, I think I would be more excited about him.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)

Well, I'll ask then...why do you feel Ravelo is your #5 prospect? There are legitimate reasons beyond the typical rankings of prospects (projectability, talent, position, age, etc), and I can understand why.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 09:26 PM)
Good idea and nice list. I'll give it a go...

1- C.Rodon

2- T.Anderson

3- F.Montas

4- M.Johnson

5- R.Ravelo

6- T.Danish

7- C.Hawkins

8- C.Sanchez

9- S.Adams

10- M.Davidson

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 03:29 PM)
Well, I'll ask then...why do you feel Ravelo is your #5 prospect? There are legitimate reasons beyond the typical rankings of prospects (projectability, talent, position, age, etc), and I can understand why.

First off. I like the fact Ravelo is 22 and hitting over .300. I like his BB/K ratio and I believe it it will continue to improve as he moves up and is forced to become better because of tougher competition, he might stumble at first but will adapt. I love his line drive/ gap power with all those doubles he hits and so I feel there's hope that as he matures over the next few years, some of those doubles will turn into more home runs. I can see him eventually being a guy that hits 20+ HR, 35-40 2B, .280+, 75BB with 75K. I admit I could be completely way off base but going by his current production, I can see this production from him down the road. Nothing wrong with having two first baseman to use the DH as a revolving door to keep legs fresh.

OK, here's my would be rational on the list I made starting with #6.

Danish- Personally, I have high hopes for him but with his future as a starter or reliever up in the air it was difficult for me to put him above Ravelo. The way Danish whips his arm does scare me although I hold out hope for him as a starter.

Hawkins- I admit that Hawkins has the talent to be a big HR hitter and end up being a solid defensive RF. He strikes out way too much and bats in the .250 range at high A which is a concern despite him rebounding nicely from a horrible 2013. The high K's and batting average are the hangups for me and why I put Ravelo above him.

Sanchez- I like a lot and he's the guy I'm pulling for to win the 2B job in ST. In short, I feel Ravelo has more to offer over all offensively.

Adams- I love the potential this kid has but that's just it, he's a kid and a long ways away. Ravelo is a guy that, imo, will help the Sox sooner than Adams.

M.Davidson- I have not lost hope but I think his 2014 season speaks for itself.

I'm honestly not trying to be different here, this is just how I see it.

1. Carlos Rodon

Duh

2. Anderson

Duh

3. Frank Montas

I think he's a star closer in the making, and he's closer than most people think. Since the Sox system is still relatively weak overall, and even weaker in talent that's closer to the majors Montas is #3 by default.

4. Tyler Danish

I like results, and Danish gets results.

5. Spencer Adams

The upside, oh my god, the upside

6. Micah Johnson

I'm just not big on Micah and I'll be really disappointed if he's starting over Semien this season. But he is awful fast and he could contribute to the Sox immediately because he's so gifted at that one tool.

7. Cleuluis Rondon

I see him panning out on the coattails of his glove more than I do most others in the system.

8. Trey Michalczewski

If he improves again he's going to be a real something.

9. Jace Fry

The one nobody really talks much about but can still be really good. I wouldn't be shocked if he was on the big league club at some point in 2015.

10. Rangel Ravelo

Wish he had a position. Maybe he'll get one.

The one guy who should be up for top 10 consideration but is missing from every list is Jacob May.

He had an excellent 2nd half putting up a slash line of .288/.374/.469/.843 with a BB:SO ratio of 25:27. Throw in solid defense in CF and excellent speed (37 SBs last year) and you have one of the more exciting prospects in the system.

In fact, going through the system right now, I'd actually put him at #10.

Top 15 Prospects

1. Carlos Rodon, LHP

2. Tim Anderson, SS

3. Micah Johnson, 2B

4. Frank Montas, RHP

5. Tyler Danish, RHP

6. Courtney Hawkins, RF

7. Spencer Adams, RHP

8. Carlos Sanchez, 2B/SS

9. Matt Davison, 3B

10. Jacob May, CF

11. Rangel Ravelo, 1B

12. Trey Michalczewski, 3B

13. Chris Bassitt, RHP

14. Micker Aldalfo, OF

15. Chris Beck, RHP

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 12:33 AM)
The one guy who should be up for top 10 consideration but is missing from every list is Jacob May.

He had an excellent 2nd half putting up a slash line of .288/.374/.469/.843 with a BB:SO ratio of 25:27. Throw in solid defense in CF and excellent speed (37 SBs last year) and you have one of the more exciting prospects in the system.

In fact, going through the system right now, I'd actually put him at #10.

Top 15 Prospects

1. Carlos Rodon, LHP

2. Tim Anderson, SS

3. Micah Johnson, 2B

4. Frank Montas, RHP

5. Tyler Danish, RHP

6. Courtney Hawkins, RF

7. Spencer Adams, RHP

8. Carlos Sanchez, 2B/SS

9. Matt Davison, 3B

10. Jacob May, CF

11. Rangel Ravelo, 1B

12. Trey Michalczewski, 3B

13. Chris Bassitt, RHP

14. Micker Aldalfo, OF

15. Chris Beck, RHP

interesting. opinion. I debated long and hard about him. he may be in the next wave

of prospects listing. need to see another yr of same or better numbers.

another interesting name being mention not only from you but from other posters.it

is Beck. I really had high hope, but then other prospect moved up ahead of him. still

that doesn't mean he won't make the parent club.

good job.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 04:02 PM)
1.) Rodon - Ace upside - needs refinement on fastball command and consistency with change up. Should be a top 15 prospect in baseball. Starts in Charlotte.

2.) Anderson - Serious hands and ability at the plate, uses whole field, has pop, has great speed. Needs to develop an approach, improve defense and prove he can stay at SS. Starts in Birmingham

3.) Johnson - 80 speed, receiving rave reviews on improvement from 2013-2014 with contact ability, questionable defense at 2B, needs to stay healthy and show ability to put the ball in play at the MLB level. I think he should start in Charlotte but will be knocking on the door of Chicago. I give him the nod over Montas because of he's on the cusp of the MLB.

4.) Montas - Big time fastball, vastly improved control, strong slider. He needs to show a fuller body of work with command and change up as well as sustained health. Could be a #2/#3 type or a back end bullpen piece. Starts year in Birmingham.

5.) Adams - Love the stature and athleticism and has shown incredible peripherals in his first short season. Far off and raw but big time potential. Starts in Kanny.

6.) Danish - Has yet to fail at any level in his level. Seems to be quite the competitor and very coachable. He needs to prove he has the endurance of a starter despite his delivery/frame. His fastball and secondary stuff, as well as his ability to change speeds with his FB/SL, are very advanced for his age. Starts year in Birmingham knowing the Sox.

7.) Hawkins - Everyone knows the story... Would like to see another year of progress in BB%, K% and maturity. Power, athleticism and defensive ability are all there there, his success hinges on the ability to make contact consistently without compromising his power. Starts year in Birmingham.

8.) Sanchez - High floor, low ceiling. Has shown great defense at 2B. Needs to hit for contact and show patience at the plate to become a 2nd/3rd division starter with defensive value. Starts year in MLB, likely with another team IMO.

9.) Ravelo - Has held his own at every level despite being youngish for each respective level. Shown advance hit tool and plate discipline. Lacks a position, doesn't cut it at 1B. Power numbers has improved annually and that trend should continue in Charlotte/International league. He's probably best served learning LF and taking the role of a Mike Carp type player. Starts year in Charlotte.

10.) Beck - While the results aren't of the sexy variety, he's shown that he can throw strikes, force hitters to beat the ball into the ground and has had a strong track record of health with the organization. Obviously you'd like the K numbers to improve but he holds the makings of the an innings eating back-of-the-rotation starter. Beck is a guy who could make a huge jump with an advancement of a second pitch. I think the org likes him and will be quick to give him a shot. Starts the year in Charlotte and sees the bigs in 2015.

Just missed it:

Michalczewski - far off, BABIP, contact issues but overall nice package

Davidson - AAA season and lack of defensive ability has me very down on him

Adolfo - far too raw to make any real judgement but the tools are there. Ceiling is of the best in the system.

Rondon - likely to see the MLB in some capacity. The capacity depends on the bat. A must youtube.

Frye - Dominant in a big time college conference, sexy sinker/slider combination from the left side that the Front Office surely took notice of. I think he's overlooked because of he saw little time this summer. Should be a quick mover.

Engel - Personal favorite. Every thing is there but the contact rate. High motor guy and elite defense. Could be a Drew Stubbs type with a little less power if something clicks with his swing.

Good list. With some of the high upside pitching in the system, I actually think Chris Beck is kind of underrated. I agree with you about Jace Fry too. I'll be interested to see him potentially finishing the year in Birmingham this year. I love Engel's defensive ability. I hope he can hit enough to stick.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 08:37 AM)
after these top 10 are talked about and dissected. I can't wait to start identifying

the 11-25 range of prospects. esp some of the int'l signing.

Frankly, the only recent international signing of any interest is Adolfo. Anyone else is someone we just don't know enough about at this point. I say that because it's been only about 2-3 years since the Sox actually started spending significant money in that area again.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)
Frankly, the only recent international signing of any interest is Adolfo. Anyone else is someone we just don't know enough about at this point. I say that because it's been only about 2-3 years since the Sox actually started spending significant money in that area again.

sad and very spot on.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 08:42 AM)

Im interested to see if Alfaro can follow in his brothers footsteps

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 02:30 PM)
I don't think it's sad at all, actually, it just takes a long time for Latin American signings to take root and really have an impact. They sign these kids at 16 years old.

again you are right, but I am really guilty of having the result of the hard labor now as

it will come. very unrealistic yes.

the other part of it, it is sad b/c they could have been doing a better job all this time.

I agree with your general point, but not that no other intl signings are of interest yet. Luis Martinez and Maiker Feliz have caught my eye this year, and I have not yet written off Braulio Ortiz. They are all state-side.

For that matter, Jefferson Olacio is one of those, from a while back.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 09:49 AM)
I agree with your general point, but not that no other intl signings are of interest yet. Luis Martinez and Maiker Feliz have caught my eye this year, and I have not yet written off Braulio Ortiz. They are all state-side.

Carlos Sanchez was an international signing.

I think Luis Martinez moves quick this year. Keep an eye on him for sure.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 09:49 AM)

Yeah, I shouldn't say that Adolfo is the only one of note, just that we'll be seeing more of the international signings come later on. Of course, this could all end after the current CBA expires as the idea of an international draft seems to be catching steam simply because teams are abusing the system right now.