Coffee thread

greg775

I drink two cups of coffee just about every day. I probably use too much sugar. As far as soda, I switched to diet years ago, and I was fine with that. Recently, though, I pretty much stopped drinking any soda. I usually drink just water (aside from beer!). There are a ton of water flavor enhancers out there that a very good.

And I agree with the post about MyFitnessPal. Great app.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 30, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
Possible to do any biking/work on a stationary bike?

Yeah I'm probably going to have to go the bike route. Jogging/walking has not been good to me of late.

All of the beneficial changes I made to my diet were a result of tracking my calories and trying to stay around 1,600 net calories to lose 2 pounds per week. Once you start logging in the calories you realize which foods and drinks are most important to you.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 1, 2014 -> 07:35 AM)
All of the beneficial changes I made to my diet were a result of tracking my calories and trying to stay around 1,600 net calories to lose 2 pounds per week. Once you start logging in the calories you realize which foods and drinks are most important to you.

Holy Jebus...only 1600 calories a day?

I'd starve to death.

I second what you said about keeping track, it makes you look at things like cookies and say, "It's just not worth it", considering 2-3 little cookies is usually a few hundred calories, half of which are fat calories...for that I could drink 3 light beers and break even. I'll take the beer please.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 07:45 AM)

I'd starve to death.

I second what you said about keeping track, it makes you look at things like cookies and say, "It's just not worth it", considering 2-3 little cookies is usually a few hundred calories, half of which are fat calories...for that I could drink 3 light beers and break even. I'll take the beer please.

1600 calories is REALLY low if you are working out. I intake maybe twice that amount as a diet.

Also "calories" are not all created equal. IMO if you want to diet you change to 5 or 6 small meals a day and eat clean and the calorie count doesnt matter.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 09:00 AM)
1600 calories is REALLY low if you are working out. I intake maybe twice that amount as a diet.

Also "calories" are not all created equal. IMO if you want to diet you change to 5 or 6 small meals a day and eat clean and the calorie count doesnt matter.

I subscribe to a method of what you went over.

4 of the 7 days in the week, I'll eat pretty clean. Average clean day looks something like this:

Breakfast: Banana, Plain f**e (or other brand) Greek Yogurt with a bit of raw honey, Medium Starbucks hot coffee with half/half and about 3/4 teaspoon sugar (raw or white, doesn't matter).

Lunch: Salad with random vegetables in it, spring mix, kale, boneless skinless chicken breast, nuts, random fruit, topped with salt/pepper/olive oil.

Late afternoon snack: More plain f**e greek yogurt and raw honey.

Dinner: Usually the exact same as lunch with a variation on the fruit/vegetables.

After Dinner Snack: Sometimes I'll cheat a bit here and have a bowl of Cocoa Pebbles...because I can. :)

---

Then the other 3 days of the week, I eat whatever I want within reason. Keep in mind I rarely ever eat cookies/candy and stuff like that so even my dirty eating days tend to be cleaner than most...but on these days I'll often BBQ and eat whatever happens to be on the menu that day.

---

Edit: LOL at the censoring of the brand name F a g e.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 07:45 AM)

I'd starve to death.

You also eat back the exercise calories. Bottom line you have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. I'm not having a problem most days staying under 1,700 calories. I've all but eliminated sodas, and other calorie wasters.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 07:14 PM)
You also eat back the exercise calories. Bottom line you have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. I'm not having a problem most days staying under 1,700 calories. I've all but eliminated sodas, and other calorie wasters.

Calories are a very broad term. 1600 is very low for a full grown man. If anything you are starving your body and it's going to store bad fat.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 06:02 AM)
Calories are a very broad term. 1600 is very low for a full grown man. If anything you are starving your body and it's going to store bad fat.

It's EXTREMELY low even if you're not working out. Tex, you're going to lose weight like that but you're going to be losing basically all your muscle mass when you're taking in that few calories. Do a slower cut and you'll be much healthier and in much better shape as well.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
I subscribe to a method of what you went over.

4 of the 7 days in the week, I'll eat pretty clean. Average clean day looks something like this:

Breakfast: Banana, Plain f**e (or other brand) Greek Yogurt with a bit of raw honey, Medium Starbucks hot coffee with half/half and about 3/4 teaspoon sugar (raw or white, doesn't matter).

Lunch: Salad with random vegetables in it, spring mix, kale, boneless skinless chicken breast, nuts, random fruit, topped with salt/pepper/olive oil.

Late afternoon snack: More plain f**e greek yogurt and raw honey.

Dinner: Usually the exact same as lunch with a variation on the fruit/vegetables.

After Dinner Snack: Sometimes I'll cheat a bit here and have a bowl of Cocoa Pebbles...because I can. :)

---

Then the other 3 days of the week, I eat whatever I want within reason. Keep in mind I rarely ever eat cookies/candy and stuff like that so even my dirty eating days tend to be cleaner than most...but on these days I'll often BBQ and eat whatever happens to be on the menu that day.

---

Edit: LOL at the censoring of the brand name F a g e.

You eat the plain greek yogurt? I tried that for a bit but it just tastes freakin awful to me so I've switched off that for the time being.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 01:30 PM)
You eat the plain greek yogurt? I tried that for a bit but it just tastes freakin awful to me so I've switched off that for the time being.

With honey it tastes awesome...I don't just eat it plain. ;)

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
With honey it tastes awesome...I don't just eat it plain. ;)

Ha fair enough. Just has a bitter after taste to me. I was trying to force myself to eat it for a while and then just realized that was dumb and moved onto to other stuff.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
Ha fair enough. Just has a bitter after taste to me. I was trying to force myself to eat it for a while and then just realized that was dumb and moved onto to other stuff.

Try it with honey, it's really good together. I bought a bottle of honey and leave it at my desk at work and grab a plain yogurt every morning and just squirt some honey on top, eat it, add a little more...etc...it's really good.

Plain original greek yogurt is about the only kind left that is actually good for you. Chibani and those brands put out by yoplait and Dannon have ruined greek yogurt. Check out the sugar content, its horrible for you.

Check out icelandic skyr by Siggi's in your yogurt aisle. MUCH lower on sugar and tastes awesome.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
Speaking of honey, as my wife and I travel each summer we pick up honey from local producers, you really can taste a difference.

I prefer raw/strained, instead of heated forced filtered they tend to sell at stores.

That said, the biggest difference in taste in honey will be the kinds of flowers used.

Greg, two things:

1. How did you find the caffeine withdrawals? I haven't had any coffee, tea, or soft drinks for over three weeks now, and for nearly the whole first week I had these absolutely cruel migraines from the caffeine withdrawal. It was more noticeable than anything when I went off alcohol.

2. There's some good points already been made here about not eating too little. You need to eat to lose fat, as counterintuitive as that sounds. Good regular, healthy meals (and watch out for the hidden sugars) are the way to go, combined with exercise. If you don't eat enough, the body goes into starvation mode and actually stores fat, making your suffering entirely counter productive and fecking with you metabolism.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jun 5, 2014 -> 05:33 PM)
Greg, two things:

1. How did you find the caffeine withdrawals? I haven't had any coffee, tea, or soft drinks for over three weeks now, and for nearly the whole first week I had these absolutely cruel migraines from the caffeine withdrawal. It was more noticeable than anything when I went off alcohol.

2. There's some good points already been made here about not eating too little. You need to eat to lose fat, as counterintuitive as that sounds. Good regular, healthy meals (and watch out for the hidden sugars) are the way to go, combined with exercise. If you don't eat enough, the body goes into starvation mode and actually stores fat, making your suffering entirely counter productive and fecking with you metabolism.

Honestly, shakeology helped me wean off of caffeine.