Ferguson Riots

Brian

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
Was the shooting on the grassy knoll?

He finally clarified. The family had a guy spew his opinions before he doctor spoke and it made it look ridiculous. There was also a non media plant in the back of the room asking why the officer hasn't been arrested yet.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
A guy trying to "evade" is not going to be a threat to the police officer. A guy trying to charge directly at him doesn't sound like "evading" to me, a guy evading sounds like he's trying to "get away". Maybe you mean the same thing by the language there but it didn't sound like it.

I was referring to the beginning, when there was some kind of fight or struggle at the car and then Brown ran away.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
What is the longest a taser could shoot? Wouldn't it be standard operating procedure to tase an unarmed assailant (assuming Brown was charging forward)?

The officer didn't have one first of all.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 08:25 AM)
Whether the cop knew about it or not, HE knew about it, and when the cop tried to stop him for blocking the street, he could have thought he was busted and let the same rage he used on the shop keeper take over. Training or not, you see some guy half a foot taller and 100lbs heavier than you coming at you, gun gets drawn. Especially if he had displayed anger/violence before then. Wish we had video of that encounter as well as the robbery.

Now you're making a huge presumption. That's exactly the kind of thing that's not admissible in a court of law.

Why would someone who would boldly take cigars from a store walk down the middle of the street if he was afraid of the police or being caught?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
I'm sure the media is being 100% compliant.

I get that the cops definitely went overboard for a while there, but now the criticism is getting a little ridiculous.

Threatening to shoot reporters if cameras aren't turned off seems... very, very worthy of criticism. Not sure why that would be ridiculous.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)
Threatening to shoot reporters if cameras aren't turned off seems... very, very worthy of criticism. Not sure why that would be ridiculous.

Given that cops are being shot at down there (with real bullets), it would seem reasonable to be pissed that media members aren't turning off gigantic flood lights in the area. Sure, it's not the nicest way to tell somebody to turn a light off, but I would have little patience in that situation as well.

edit: oh and the molotov cocktails, and a reported "infiltration attempt" of a command post.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)
Now you're making a huge presumption. That's exactly the kind of thing that's not admissible in a court of law.

Why would someone who would boldly take cigars from a store walk down the middle of the street if he was afraid of the police or being caught?

You JUST robbed a store, and minutes later a cop tries to stop you. Why is it a stretch to think he thought 'oh s***, he's going to try and bust me!'? And was just referring to a possible motive for him to fight the cop, if that's what happened.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 12:39 PM)
Given that cops are being shot at down there (with real bullets), it would seem reasonable to be pissed that media members aren't turning off gigantic flood lights in the area. Sure, it's not the nicest way to tell somebody to turn a light off, but I would have little patience in that situation as well.

edit: oh and the molotov cocktails, and a reported "infiltration attempt" of a command post.

I can't find a press report of that actually happening. Link?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 11:42 AM)
I can't find a press report of that actually happening. Link?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationw...0818-story.html

NATIONAL GUARD DEPLOYED

Missouri National Guard troops were being deployed on Monday to the St. Louis suburb of Ferguson to try to restore calm to an area that has become a nightly scene of rioting and protests over the Aug. 9 fatal shooting of an unarmed black teen by a white police officer.

Missouri Governor Jay Nixon's move to bring in the guard troops follows his declaration Saturday that the area was in a state of emergency and the setting of a curfew calling for the streets in Ferguson to be cleared after midnight.

President Barack Obama is meeting with Attorney General Eric Holder on Monday afternoon to discuss the Ferguson situation, his office said. Both the U.S. Department of Justice and St. Louis County Police are investigating the shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown.

Each night since the teen was killed, protesters have been walking the streets in and around the neighborhood where he was shot. The demonstrators have been holding signs, chanting slogans and calling for the arrest of 26-year-old Darren Wilson, the officer who shot Brown.

Schools in the area were ordered closed Monday because of the chaos in and around the town of roughly 21,000 mostly black residents.

Brown's mother, Lesley McSpadden, spoke out Monday in a televised interview with ABC's "Good Morning America" program, saying peace could be restored "with justice... arresting this man and making him accountable for his action."

Michael Brown autopsy

A diagram done as part of a preliminary private autopsy report commissioned by Michael Brown's family. (Dr. Michael M. Baden)

Her family's lawyer, Benjamin Crump, said on the same program that autopsy results that show Brown was shot six times, including twice in the head, were "very troubling."

"It's just not justified in any way, fashion or form to execute this child," Crump said.

The Brown family has called for peaceful demonstrations and an end to violence, and the police forces on the ground have been widely criticized for using excessive force on protesters.

But police say a few of the thousands who have gathered have thrown Molotov cocktails and shot at them. Governor Nixon and other law enforcement officials have said they have to use force to stop looting that has hit several businesses and attacks on police.

On Sunday night, police wearing gas masks and body armor fired tear gas and smoke canisters hours ahead of the curfew, which ran Saturday and Sunday from midnight to 5 a.m. (0500 to 1000 GMT The Missouri Highway Patrol said "aggressors" tried to infiltrate a law enforcement command post.

"Coordinated acts" by a few in the crowd were "premeditated criminal acts designed ... to provoke a response," State Highway Patrol Captain Ron Johnson told a late-night news briefing. "I had no alternative but to elevate the level of our response."

Johnson said the trouble on Sunday night had begun after police responded to the shooting of a civilian at 8:25 p.m. Gunfire was directed toward police, and Molotov cocktails were thrown. At least one other person was shot, and several were arrested. No police were injured.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

Once again, why is the officer using deadly force if Brown isn't armed....?

You're telling me that you don't shoot him in the leg or knee or at least try before he gets closer? It's not like this guy is going to be "quick" or be able to fly at an officer at that size.

And six shots or more?

Unless he was crazed on meth or some type of drug, then it's going to be very difficult to explain this one.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 12:45 PM)

You're telling me that you don't shoot him in the leg or knee or at least try before he gets closer? It's not like this guy is going to be "quick" or be able to fly at an officer at that size.

And six shots or more?

Unless he was crazed on meth or some type of drug, then it's going to be very difficult to explain this one.

No. This is not Hollywood. That does not happen. Ever. If you're taking a gun out and pulling the trigger you assume it is to kill. That's why it should only be a last resort. You aim for the center of mass.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 11:45 AM)

And six shots or more?

That's why I asked if he had been patted down (and thus the officer knew before shooting whether he was armed or not). For all we know Brown ran away, turned around, and then made a motion like he was pulling out a gun.

A cop probably SHOULD aim to disarm/kill, and maybe he did that since there are numerous shots to the right hand/arm/shoulder. But in a split second if you really believe your life is in danger I don't think you can process that decision so quickly.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)
That's why I asked if he had been patted down (and thus the officer knew before shooting whether he was armed or not). For all we know Brown ran away, turned around, and then made a motion like he was pulling out a gun.

A cop probably SHOULD aim to disarm/kill, and maybe he did that since there are numerous shots to the right hand/arm/shoulder. But in a split second if you really believe your life is in danger I don't think you can process that decision so quickly.

If he didn't make an effort to pat him down, that's going to come out.

The old "made a motion like he was pulling out a gun" could be used as a mitigating factor in every shooting...is there anyone who can corroborate this besides the officer himself?

Mini-cameras on the shoulders/collars of the officers are going to be the only solution. It's doubtful at this point any officer or "community witness" is either going to provide honest/truthful evidence. How would either side trust the other?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 10:39 AM)

Right... I get that. I also get that both sides of this issue are extremely on edge.

Your earlier post, however, seems to say that because of a single incident where a police office was shot at, the actions of police can now not be criticized. Further, your post is written is a way to make it seem like it's a battleground with police under constant fire. I have seen one incident of shots fired at officers (which is one too many, but also shouldn't rise to the level of no criticizing police).

Again, I understand why the police are on edge, but the police arresting and threatening the media is almost always worthy of criticism.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 06:02 PM)
Mini-cameras on the shoulders/collars of the officers are going to be the only solution. It's doubtful at this point any officer or "community witness" is either going to provide honest/truthful evidence. How would either side trust the other?

We would know what happened if the officer's car had a basic dashboard cam.