**Official Wild Card Games Thread**

Brian

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 09:03 PM)
Guess it's easy to say that Yost panicked there a little bit pulling Shields in the 6th...but hindsight is always 20/20.

2-0 fastballs. Doesn't matter how hard you throw them.

82 pitches for Shields when he got pulled. It was an awful move IMO.

A good manager doesn't do things that's completely out of the ordinary. I'm still not sure why he went with Ventura instead of Herrera. It's a playoff game, you need your best relievers in there, not someone who's usually a starter.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 09:03 PM)
Guess it's easy to say that Yost panicked there a little bit pulling Shields in the 6th...but hindsight is always 20/20.

2-0 fastballs. Doesn't matter how hard you throw them.

It seemed like a bad idea before Moss crushed that pitch

I'm sure he wouldn't have done that had Moss not had two great at-bats earlier in the game against Shields.

That said, you have the extra day of rest and have to push Herrera/Davis/Holland to their limits....72-1 when they get the lead late in games, there's just no way to argue with the success of those 3 guys.

That's a killer.

If the A's go on to win this game, I think you start over with a new manager...it's going to be hard for them to compete next year without Shields, Aoki and Butler unless Hosmer/Moustakas/Perez really pick it up offensively.

Edited by caulfield12

Shields' full count pitch to Donaldson's just a bit closer to the corner and it's a strike em out/throw em out double play.

Baseball is a game of inches, as always.

Woulda/coulda/shoulda.

I do think the A's match up much better with the Angels, especially without Richards.

The Royals have Shields, but Ventura, Duffy and Vargas in the post-season doesn't seem to be a recipe for success, especially Vargas with how he's pitched recently. And Duffy's had two starts, one great, one bad since his injury. Yet you wouldn't want to go with Guthrie, either.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 09:17 PM)
...and people get sick of Ventura. At least he doesnt pull s*** like that.

Robin doesn't have a guy who can throw 100 out of his bullpen though, so he technically can't do anything like that.

I understand Yost's mindset in that situation (you need Ks and Ventura gets Ks), but you have your #1 starter on the mound, why would you replace him with a rookie with control issues?

If you're really that nervous about Shields bombing, bring in Herrera. Don't put your players out of their comfort zone during the biggest game of the year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 09:20 PM)
Shields' full count pitch to Donaldson's just a bit closer to the corner and it's a strike em out/throw em out double play.

Baseball is a game of inches, as always.

Woulda/coulda/shoulda.

I do think the A's match up much better with the Angels, especially without Richards.

The Royals have Shields, but Ventura, Duffy and Vargas in the post-season doesn't seem to be a recipe for success, especially Vargas with how he's pitched recently. And Duffy's had two starts, one great, one bad since his injury. Yet you wouldn't want to go with Guthrie, either.

The A's have much better starting pitching.

All of their starters are better than what the Angels have.

Samardzija vs. Weaver

Kazmir vs. Shoemaker/Wilson

Gray vs. Wilson/Shoemaker

Lester vs. Santiago

I don't think the Angels can win a 7 game series unless their offense just goes off.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 08:30 PM)
Well, so much for Big Game James

Let's just put it this way, this start (he'd retired 7 in a row before the sixth) isn't going to hurt his free agent value any.

I think there are some good parallels with the 2005 White Sox...best record in the game in August, challenged late and ended up going 16-30 down the stretch...finally were able to relax on Sunday when they eliminated the Mariners. While the White Sox were playing decently and the Indians were just white hot, there's a similar "monkey off their back" feeling at play that they went from the best team in baseball to almost being knocked out of the playoff picture entirely. Pressure's off, back at 0-0, etc. I think they will go ahead and take out the Angels and go on to the face the Tigers for the AL Championship now.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 08:36 PM)
Ah, unable to watch in China and my friend told me Shields gave up the six runs.

Now I see Ned Yost did Ned Yost things.

If people think no Robin = Sox make playoffs, no Yost = Royals best team ever

Use freegate/dynapass...you don't have MLB AT BAT or MLB.TV for your phone, Ipad or laptop?

It's actually not blacked out here in China/internationally, compared to the US.

Hopefully this drives up Lester's price tag even higher for the Cubs at least.

Edited by caulfield12

And what about his mid August - September record in pennant races?

"Big Game" isn't only confined to the post-season.

He won two huge games for the Royals against the Yankees and Tigers down the stretch this year, for example. The only bad start he had was against the White Sox, I think.