Carlos Rodon's Super Fun Time Adventure

Heads22

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 10:29 PM)
Danks was one of 21 AL starters with 20 quality starts this season. Another year away from surgery, fewer crappy starts, and a better offensive team should help him a lot.

This is true. Adding a better defense will help as well.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 03:11 PM)
I still don't get why people are so caught up in Super 2 dates. So you have to pay a little more in year 3. Big deal.

Because if things go right, it will be a lot more than a "little more". And this team likely isn't going to compete for the division anyway, so losing 12-15 starts to a lesser pitcher probably won't matter much to this team anyway.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 04:00 AM)
Because if things go right, it will be a lot more than a "little more". And this team likely isn't going to compete for the division anyway, so losing 12-15 starts to a lesser pitcher probably won't matter much to this team anyway.

jeeze, I still must be the only one who is saying the sox will be in the playoff next yr.

remember I been saying this 3/4 thru the season.

if they, the sox fails, I will be eating a lot of crap. :angry:

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 12:06 AM)
jeeze, I still must be the only one who is saying the sox will be in the playoff next yr.

remember I been saying this 3/4 thru the season.

if they, the sox fails, I will be eating a lot of crap. :angry:

I think you're right and if chips fall correctly they have a shot at the playoffs next year...but I also think that bringing Rodon straight up with 0 time at AAA to work on anything or get used to a "higher than college" level of competition hurts that goal rather than helps it.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 11:00 PM)

But this team easily could compete for a division crown. You improve 3-4 spots on the team, improve the bullpen in general, and you could easily be talking about a 12+ win jump.

With an estimated free agent value of $11 mill (the average of what Quintana qualifies for from the White Sox for his first 2 years of free agency), the White Sox have Quintana set up as 30%/49%/63%/80%, which even favors the player a little bit compared to the typical 40/60/80. Even if you assume Rodon's free agent value will be $15 mill, you're looking at this:

Super 2: 0.5/0.5/4.5/7.5/9.5/12 = $34.5

Non S2: 0.5/0.5/0.5/6.0/9.0/12 = $28.5

$6 million is, in the long run, a very minimal amount extra

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 01:07 PM)
I think you're right and if chips fall correctly they have a shot at the playoffs next year...but I also think that bringing Rodon straight up with 0 time at AAA to work on anything or get used to a "higher than college" level of competition hurts that goal rather than helps it.

i really agree with you, but like i said, we the fans do not have all

the inside deals that was arrange. i am talking about Rodon and his

agent.

on another note, if he comes out blazing in the spring, should the sox

send him down?

if not, does that mean the sox are rushing him?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 08:24 AM)
But this team easily could compete for a division crown. You improve 3-4 spots on the team, improve the bullpen in general, and you could easily be talking about a 12+ win jump.

With an estimated free agent value of $11 mill (the average of what Quintana qualifies for from the White Sox for his first 2 years of free agency), the White Sox have Quintana set up as 30%/49%/63%/80%, which even favors the player a little bit compared to the typical 40/60/80. Even if you assume Rodon's free agent value will be $15 mill, you're looking at this:

Nice post. I also think that when teams hold a player down for no reason other than to mess with their arbitration status it could possibly hurt the chances of them wanting to sign a team friendly long term deal later on. I don't think teams should ever keep players in the minors for money reasons.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 02:37 PM)
Nice post. I also think that when teams hold a player down for no reason other than to mess with their arbitration status it could possibly hurt the chances of them wanting to sign a team friendly long term deal later on. I don't think teams should ever keep players in the minors for money reasons.

in general that was old time school. not now esp when you

know who Rodon agent is.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 07:24 AM)

Nice, repost this in the PHT thread where we're currently arguing about Rodon being in the f***ing bullpen or some crap.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 17, 2014 -> 08:24 AM)

To address your first point, I don't think that way. I don't ASSUME the Sox will add 3-4 spots to this team for next season, therefore I don't think, as this team is currently constructed, will be competing next season. Now if we DO add guys like Bruce, Markakis, Shields, etc, then my viewpoint will definitely change and I may then want Rodon in the rotation in April, but until it happens, I assume that it won't. Makes it easier to be less disappointed when it doesn't. Heh.

To your second point, again, with a team that can compete, I am okay with burning $6M on 12-15 starts, but if this team is not ready to compete, I'd prefer to save that money that could help fetch a FA in 2017 or whenever that Super 2 year would be.