Jon Lester

GGajewski18

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 05:26 PM)
He attack me I didnt like it that much.

No he did not. He said Jake Peavy was talking about pitching for the Cubs prior to game 6 of the World Series. He also indicated that he and Jon Lester would be a package deal to the Cubs. There was no attack. Re-read it.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 05:29 PM)
We in need of starting pitching yes we are.

They do not need a $100+ million starting pitcher. Jon Lester does not make sense for the White Sox.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 05:34 PM)
No he did not. He said Jake Peavy was talking about pitching for the Cubs prior to game 6 of the World Series. He also indicated that he and Jon Lester would be a package deal to the Cubs. There was no attack. Re-read

They do not need a $100+ million starting pitcher. Jon Lester does not make sense for the White Sox.

Then vmart dont make sense for us either.

I really like Lester esp if the sox could get him. he will be really good

for 15+ wins a season. the sox could go 3 strong and if they make the

playoff go with a top 3 sp that will be really tough.

then the sox have Rodon developing and there won't be a urgency to have

him be a successful right away, and I hate to say this, but if an injury

happens to one of the other pitchers. Lester will become even more important.

this will be for next yr. with Lester on the roster, 2016 with Danks coming off

the books and other prospect developing. the starting 5 will be a feared

group.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 05:19 PM)
Since when is starting pitching an area of no need?

Mid rotation is an area of need, but the Sox don't need another top of the rotation guy -oh, not that they couldn't use one, but the marginal benefit v. cost is smaller there for the Sox than at other positions. I would say a mid-level guy, but you have to give up the same draft choice that you do for the top end guy. Which leaves "roll your own". And they are making progress on that end.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 05:40 PM)
Yes it does. It adds a veteran bat to the lineup and protection for Abreu. $100 million on Lester is dumb. We have Sale and Q. Rodon on the way also.

$100 million is probably pretty light. I am guessing when all is said and done we are talking about $150 at least.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 11:45 PM)
Mid rotation is an area of need, but the Sox don't need another top of the rotation guy -oh, not that they couldn't use one, but the marginal benefit v. cost is smaller there for the Sox than at other positions. I would say a mid-level guy, but you have to give up the same draft choice that you do for the top end guy. Which leaves "roll your own". And they are making progress on that end.

I am just assuming here so no offense.

if you are 1 of those posters who will assume that Rodon will be great

coming out of the gate. an unrealistic outlook.

without Rodon the sox have 4 pitchers on the book with out Carroll.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 11:46 PM)
$100 million is probably pretty light. I am guessing when all is said and done we are talking about $150 at least.

and then the wild card, when would it be too much money to spend

on a pitcher ???

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 07:15 PM)
Jon Lester is going to get $40M+ a year?

I think he is going to get $25 million, and by my math and guesstimates, we are looking at spending somewhere around 30 to 35 million this year. I'd call that the vast majority. I see no realistic scenario that puts us back over $100 million this winter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 07:19 PM)
I think he is going to get $25 million, and by my math and guesstimates, we are looking at spending somewhere around 30 to 35 million this year. I'd call that the vast majority. I see no realistic scenario that puts us back over $100 million this winter.

Didn't someone just do the math on this? I thought if we non-tender Beli and trade Viciedo, we're sitting on about $52M in payroll commitments. There is absolutely no reason we can't afford a payroll around $100M next year, which means we'd have a good $45M to work with.

I agree on Lester though. He'll be too rich for our blood due to contract length.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 05:19 PM)

If we have a payroll of $90M, it would seem likely that we have about 40M to spend (once you factor in Bellisario and Viciedo being off of our books). I see no reason not to expect those two guys to be traded or non-tendered.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 07:48 PM)
Didn't someone just do the math on this? I thought if we non-tender Beli and trade Viciedo, we're sitting on about $52M in payroll commitments. There is absolutely no reason we can't afford a payroll around $100M next year, which means we'd have a good $45M to work with.

I agree on Lester though. He'll be too rich for our blood due to contract length.

I came to about $62.5 million as I included Viciedo, and factored in that we have to fill a roster, which means 13 more players at $500k each, at a minimum. I am guessing we have a payroll around $90 to $95 million. I know it isn't fan popular, but I don't see the Sox being 10 to 15 million dollars higher than last year.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 4, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)
http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/sellin...ee-agency-pitch

Thought it was interesting that Hayes got Lester to get some quotes in.

Would you guys go after Lester? I know he's another lefty but he doesn't cost a draft pick and does a good playoff history.

What he will get on the open market is scary what some numbers are being thrown out there, but if you were GM, would you bring in Lester? If yes, on what terms, if no, why not?

Discuss.

Sale

Lester

Quintana

Danks

Noesi

Sale

Lester

Quintana

Noesi

Bassitt (if Danks traded)

Don't want him for $20MM Plus per year for at least 6 years. Let some other team sign him and then watch his numbers slide over the years as age and all the innings he has thrown catch up to him.

The Sox can't afford this kind of albatross of a contract on their books when Lester is a #3 or 4 stater in a few years and declining.

Bob

QUOTE (gosox41 @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 03:26 AM)
Don't want him for $20MM Plus per year for at least 6 years. Let some other team sign him and then watch his numbers slide over the years as age and all the innings he has thrown catch up to him.

The Sox can't afford this kind of albatross of a contract on their books when Lester is a #3 or 4 stater in a few years and declining.

Bob

some of what you are saying is true. look at the contract that the sox still has

and some of which they just gotten rid of, let alone the contracts that they

had to eat.

Lester at 5+ yrs is too much and I say no. Lester at 3 with an option for 4 is

perfect.