Haber promoted to Ast GM

southsider2k5

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 9m9 minutes ago

Jeremy Haber, assistant to the GM Rick Hahn, promoted to assistant general manager. Haber led negotiations on Quintana's 5-year contract.

Doug Padilla ‏@ESPNChiSox 7m7 minutes ago

Haber led negotiations on Quintana's 5-year contract and leads club's salary arbitration negotiations.

Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 11m11 minutes ago

Here's more about new #WhiteSox assistant GM Jeremy Haber from last offseason. http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-...er-assistant-gm

#WhiteSox have promoted Jeremy Haber to assistant general manager. Had been the assistant to the GM for almost past two years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 12:54 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 9m9 minutes ago

Jeremy Haber, assistant to the GM Rick Hahn, promoted to assistant general manager. Haber led negotiations on Quintana's 5-year contract.

Doug Padilla ‏@ESPNChiSox 7m7 minutes ago

Haber led negotiations on Quintana's 5-year contract and leads club's salary arbitration negotiations.

Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 11m11 minutes ago

Here's more about new #WhiteSox assistant GM Jeremy Haber from last offseason. http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-...er-assistant-gm

#WhiteSox have promoted Jeremy Haber to assistant general manager. Had been the assistant to the GM for almost past two years.

So he went from the assistant to the GM to the assistant GM.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 12:00 PM)
So he went from the assistant to the GM to the assistant GM.

"I can't remember if I'm a Technical Supervisor or a Supervising Technician" - Homer Simpson

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 02:10 PM)
I met him at SoxFest. Very nice guy and really just another version of Hahn in terms of background, the way he carries himself and even the way he dresses. This was only a matter of time and I am sure he'll be sought after by other organizations in time.

I read that he's big into analytics, so could the sox be more inclined to use sabremetrics?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 04:07 PM)
I asked him to expand on his role in the organization because it's very obvious that he has a prominent role, but a role that is somewhat ambiguous. He first reiterated to me the only information that had been public (at least to that point). That being his influence on hitting coach search, compiling candidates, background work and recommending Steverson. Other than that, the beat writers talk about his work on arbitration cases, which really could be taken as an endorsement of his craft as the Sox almost never make it to arbitration with their players.

Other than the info that was already known, Haber, who seems entirely prepared in his speech much alike Hahn, expanded on how he works hand-in-hand with Dan Fabian. That is a tell, to answer your question, that yes, he is an analytical/information guy. For those who don't know, Dan Fabian has been an integral piece of the front office despite rarely being mentioned in the press. He's the Director of Baseball Ops and has been with the team for 20+ years. In any case, he has been given credit for creating the "portal" for the White Sox analytics department. While the Sox have been noted as behind the curve in the sabremetrics game (largely because of a couple pot-shots by Michael Lewis in Moneyball), those within the organization feel differently and that could be attributed to Fabian's longstanding contributions. But getting to Haber, he talked about working with Fabian on player targets and player evaluations. Perhaps delving into the portal with Fabian led to him spearheading the movement to extend Quintana which was released today by Dan Hayes as well as others I am sure.

In any case, Haber has been very active in the White Sox organization and I am sure will begin popping up on other team's radars if he hasn't already. I was very impressed with him. One of the things that drew me to Hahn when he was still Assistant GM was the way he spoke as if he had known the questions in advance and prepared his answers. Haber has that same trait. I am sure the multiple degrees from top flight institutions speak towards their intelligence but socially, neither of these guys miss a beat like say, Kenny Williams (for sake of convenience) had in the past. Haber's clear and concise with a soft humor and was much more comfortable than other members of the White Sox front office. Judging off what is known about Hahn, there should be no doubt that Hahn looked at Haber and saw a lot of himself. If the Sox build a winner out of this new team, I imagine Haber takes on a more prominent role in either the White Sox organization or elsewhere.

I don't want to draw out this post any longer but it's broaching on a topic that bothers me. People talk about whether front offices are "sabers" or "old-school" and it's silly. For 90% of organizations it's a hodge-podge of 3-7 individuals making the decisions and these individuals have different backgrounds. There may be a few exclusions, say the Diamondbacks on one end of the spectrum and the A's on the other but with out a doubt, a successful front office needs individuals who can characterize and weight performance financially/statistically as well as guys who have "been there before" and can offer a nuanced outlook on the dynamics of a baseball team.

It's not like Stanford's a crappy school, haha. One of my students here in China got turned down by them but accepted at MIT (also not wanting to get into the argument about the quality of a state school, versus, let's say Northwestern or Notre Dame).

At any rate, like Ozzie, KW got a little bit lazy and started resting on his laurels. Call it cockiness, overconfidence, whatever you want.

The most blatant example was the misunderstanding about the Nestor Molina acquisition, and his status over that winter. Seems he was delegating too much (in that case, to Paddy) and, in other cases, to Dave Wilder to have carte blanche to run his own show in the Dominican.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 08:39 PM)
It's not like Stanford's a crappy school, haha. One of my students here in China got turned down by them but accepted at MIT (also not wanting to get into the argument about the quality of a state school, versus, let's say Northwestern or Notre Dame).

At any rate, like Ozzie, KW got a little bit lazy and started resting on his laurels. Call it cockiness, overconfidence, whatever you want.

None of the schools you listed there are state or public universities. They are all private.

The most blatant example was the misunderstanding about the Nestor Molina acquisition, and his status over that winter. Seems he was delegating too much (in that case, to Paddy) and, in other cases, to Dave Wilder to have carte blanche to run his own show in the Dominican.

KW spent a semester at Stanford on a football scholarship. a little different than a typical student.

One failed trade, and one where he trusted someone else's scouting, doesn't make Kenny lazy.

Well, the whole Berry/Barry thing with the Dodgers didn't help either, the Todd Ritchie deal, along with Moneyball.

As far as state universities, I meant comparing Iowa, Wisconsin or University of Illinois....to the ones I mentioned. Since a clear majority of the analytics front office hires have IVY ties over the last 15 years or so.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 3, 2015 -> 03:31 PM)
Well, the whole Berry/Barry thing with the Dodgers didn't help either, the Todd Ritchie deal, along with Moneyball.

As far as state universities, I meant comparing Iowa, Wisconsin or University of Illinois....to the ones I mentioned. Since a clear majority of the analytics front office hires have IVY ties over the last 15 years or so.

Those deals were all very early on... Was he lazy from day one?

Well, it rhymes with Saber, so we've got that.

But seriously, Hare, absolutely love the FO insight you're providing. Don't worry about long posts, it's much appreciated. Very cool that you're in there in the trenches, and asking better questions than what we're getting from most sources.

Sox fest interviews were great.

One thing that I'm kinda disappointed about is the lack of turnover in the FO, when Hahn was promoted to GM, I expected him to bring in some new blood along with him to help run the operation.

Maybe the promotion of Haber is a sign of things to come.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 02:13 AM)
One thing that I'm kinda disappointed about is the lack of turnover in the FO, when Hahn was promoted to GM, I expected him to bring in some new blood along with him to help run the operation.

White Sox "family" and loyalty, as usual.

Bell and Paddy came from other organizations.

They have their system-wide pitching philosophy, and all those guys serve as advisors to the front office like JR Perdew. If you read about his background, it's really fascinating.

http://dashboard.mlblogs.com/tag/j-r-perdew/

Reminds me a lot of Jeff Bannister.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 08:13 AM)

kind of depends on the philosophy that is in place and whether a new one will take over. if it is adding to and not turning over the apple cart so to speak, this is what you get. i too would have like to see some new blood in maybe in the org for running the minors and scouting. new blood, aggressive ideas.

the sox ownership believes in loyalty. Haber deserved his promotions.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 02:13 AM)

Why? Are you not happy with Hahn's tenure?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 09:05 AM)
Why? Are you not happy with Hahn's tenure?

Haber is much more similar to Hahn than KW.

You need your contract negotiators, and your talent evaluators in equal measure, and, on rare occasions, you have front office guys proficient at both.

To be disappointed in much beyond the smaller moves fizzling (like Keppinger) is pretty much an impossible argument to make given where this organization was 18 months ago.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)

You need your contract negotiators, and your talent evaluators in equal measure, and, on rare occasions, you have front office guys proficient at both.

To be disappointed in much beyond the smaller moves fizzling (like Keppinger) is pretty much an impossible argument to make given where this organization was 18 months ago.

If Hahn's responsibilities have changed due the promotion, he needs to someone to replace himself for negotiations. It would make sense to pick the same kind of guy.

He has his "talent" guys in Bell, Paddy, Kenny, etc.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 6, 2015 -> 04:09 PM)

exactly, this org in on the cusp of being great with great prospects. so adding to the minor league talent eval is needed and more scouts.