The Bench

Lillian

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 19, 2015 -> 11:03 PM)
Yeah, I have no idea how tight their budgets actually are -- I just know we didn't get enough small-guy SP depth but we DID we Beckham, who I just don't think we needed at all. Could be no connection between those two facts.

:drink

this is a great conversation going on, on all sides. Eminor3rd. excellent points.

i hate coming in and saying anything, when you guys are covering all points, but here is mine. Gordo and Penny total cost is ??? the sox could have combine that and help get a good pitcher for the season. so what this team will have 6 sp and when Rodon comes up, 7. so what, the pitchers will be needed for the run to make the playoff and further.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2015 -> 11:15 PM)
I think Beckham's signing was more about putting Saladino and the loser of Sanchez and Johnson into the minors to play every day so as to keep developing. They could care less if Gordo rots on the bench.

I also believe the White Sox honestly believe that between their five leading starters and Brad Penny, they have enough to bridge the gap for Carlos Rodon to be ready to go by June at the latest. Another starter would have been behind Sale, Q, Smarj, Danks, Noesi, Rodon, and Penny, at least. Then you also have to look at guys like Johnson and Beck as possibilities for later in the season, or just a trade by then.

does anyone really think Penny would be a good option in a game???

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2015 -> 11:13 PM)
If they can afford $4 million, why are you complaining about Beckham's $2 million. Then they still should have a couple million to burn.

You are moving the goalposts here.

You have stated time and time again that the 2 million Beckham is getting pretty much is what they had left, because according to you they picked Beckham instead of anyone else, , which one of these guys would you have signed? They obviously couldn't have signed them all.

then their priorities are misplaced, if they think beckham is the greater need instead of a sp.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 19, 2015 -> 05:18 PM)
does anyone really think Penny would be a good option in a game???

Again, if he was a good, or even mediocre option, he wouldn't have been a minor league free agent signing. We are talking about the guys who are past the top 150 best starting pitchers in baseball right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2015 -> 11:21 PM)
Again, if he was a good, or even mediocre option, he wouldn't have been a minor league free agent signing. We are talking about the guys who are past the top 150 best starting pitchers in baseball right now.

i know, i am talking about when the sox signed him and gordo. i am using that date.

it is too late now, might as well start looking at the players being released. i bet there as to be a better option than penny.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)
If they can afford $4 million, why are you complaining about Beckham's $2 million. Then they still should have a couple million to burn.

You are moving the goalposts here.

You have stated time and time again that the 2 million Beckham is getting pretty much is what they had left, because according to you they picked Beckham instead of anyone else, , which one of these guys would you have signed? They obviously couldn't have signed them all.

And can you explain to me how guys who sign minor league contracts were blocked from signing with the White Sox because the Sox signed Beckham?

Ok -- remove Vogelsong from that list and it's all south of $2.5m. The point stands. But if you're going to argue that $2m is meaningless rounding error, don't also point out that $4m is significantly more. THAT'S moving the goalposts.

I would have rather signed any of those guys than Beckham.

And I JUST typed, in the very post you quoted, that I don't have any evidence to suggest that signing Beckham prevented anything else financially, I simply know that we needed those guys but didn't get them, and I think it's safe to assume that there IS a limit to the budget somewhere. It's getting so hard to believe that you actually read what I type before you respond.

Here's the point to argue against, if you're going to continue arguing: We needed a bench OF and at least one depth starter to fight for the spot that Brad Penny is trying to earn. I'm not happy that Beckham is going to be on the roster instead of one of those other things, because we already have a bunch of pre-arbs that can already be stashed in the minors to do for us what Beckham will now do. We just didn't need to spend money on him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2015 -> 04:15 PM)
I think Beckham's signing was more about putting Saladino and the loser of Sanchez and Johnson into the minors to play every day so as to keep developing. They could care less if Gordo rots on the bench.

I also believe the White Sox honestly believe that between their five leading starters and Brad Penny, they have enough to bridge the gap for Carlos Rodon to be ready to go by June at the latest. Another starter would have been behind Sale, Q, Smarj, Danks, Noesi, Rodon, and Penny, at least. Then you also have to look at guys like Johnson and Beck as possibilities for later in the season, or just a trade by then.

RE: Beckham. If that's true, it makes more sense. In my admittedly completely non-professional opinion, I don't think Saladino has the potential to be a starter anyway, so I would think a bench role would be totally fine for him. But I can buy that they think he still needs everyday PT as totally plausible.

RE: the rotation. You're right that they may believe that, but if so, I think that's a mistake. Between injury risk and the very real chance that Rodon is NOT ready, they really should have hedged more, even if it was just with the Dana Eveland types, IMO. Especially if money is plentiful enough that it was worth $2m to buy Saladino some more time.

ok i am suspicious by nature. it just seem too much of a coincidence that yesterday and before, some posters started to voice their displeasure on resigning Beckham. now, this fluff piece came out in mlb trade rumors, wow talk about deja vu kind of a feelings. some posters on soxtalk must really be psychics

From that same piece, Angels manager Mike Scioscia said that the Halos “were competitive” in making Beckham an offer close to the $2MM he received from the Sox.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/