The Bench

Lillian

Now that it appears more and more likely that Micah Johnson has reinforced the front office’s sentiments, that he is indeed the guy who should get the starting job at second, the regular positions are

probably all decided. Sanchez will be headed back to Charlotte, where he should get regular playing time, as the starting second baseman. So, who will comprise the 4 position bench players?

Beckham will likely be the platoon partner for Gillaspie at third and, or the defensive replacement for Johnson at second.

Bonifacio will be a reserve outfielder, and the one who is most capable of playing CF, if Eaton has to miss any time, due to injury. Of course, he can also play second.

Although it isn’t yet decided, one of Brantly, Soto or Kottaras will be the back up catcher.

That leaves one spot open on the bench.

The most likely candidates are J. B. Shuck and Tyler Saladino. That isn’t a bad bench, but lacks one solid right handed bat. Would you really ever want to use any of those guys as a pinch hitter versus a

tough left hander, much less bench LaRoche as the DH against a lefty? Shuck actually has hit LHP better, even though he bats left handed. However, he doesn’t have any power.

It’s too early to have much of an opinion on Saladino.

I’d like to see the Sox acquire a solid RH hitter vs LH pitching, who could take LaRoche’s spot in the line up, vs. tough lefties. That would leave both Gillaspie and LaRoche available as late inning pinch hitters,

against tough RH relievers. He wouldn't have to have a lot of power, but at least provide a respectable OBP, perhaps with some speed.

Is there any player out there, whom the Sox could acquire, who might fill that role of a RH hitting bench player?

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Backup C is one, and it will almost assuredly be Soto.

Bonifacio is a given. And now that it appears Beckham's deal is a guaranteed MLB contract (I think I was wrong on this before), he'll also be there.

I don't think Saladino has a real shot, with Beckham in his way, sadly. Sanchez is also similarly blocked by Beckham, so I agree he's in Charlotte. That's your middle infield in Charlotte, and I think either one could replace Beckham if he struggles.

That means Shuck, who has looked pretty good this spring on both sides of the ball and on the basepaths, gets the 4th job.

I thought previously they might skip having a true 4th OF with Bonifacio on the club, but Shuck has looked awfully good and they haven't played Bonifacio much in the OF.

The one thing that concerned me yesterday listening to the Angels announcers was they didn't think very much of Shuck's glove. They said the ball always seemed to find him, and his routes were a bit "unusual". They also said he gets in trouble when he hits the ball in the air, which makes sense, and plays better when he is in the line up every day. If they are correct, JB isn't going to be around very long.

Edited by Dick Allen

I very highly doubt any acquisitions are coming, and I think the bench is pretty well set with Bonifacio, Beckham, Shuck and Soto.

Bullpen is looking like Robertson-Duke-Petricka-Jennings-Putnam-Guerra with Cleto probably keeping Crain's spot warm.

Do you guys think that Shuck is good enough to replace LaRoche as DH, on days when a tough lefty is starting for the opposition? La Roche has really been pretty bad vs. LHP, in the last few years.

Moreover, I really like the idea of having Adam available as a late inning pinch hitter, on those rare days, when he isn't starting.

If Shuck took La Roche's spot at DH, would the lineup vs lefties be as follows?:

CF Eaton

LF M. Cabrera

1B Abreu

RF Garcia

SS Ramirez

DH Shuck

C Soto

3B Beckham

2B Johnson

Just a scenario that could happen--not saying it will...

Maybe they push back Sale's first start to the second weekend in Detroit, and go with 13 pitchers until then.

Samardzija, Quintana, Noesi, Danks, (Penny or Carroll)

Duke, Jennings, Putnam, Petricka, Albers, Robertson (with 2 of Guerra, Webb, Surkamp, Cleto, and Penny or Carroll)

Just load up with arms the first 8-9 games, and then add Sale and 4th outfielder, probably Shuck.

Soto, Beckham, and Bonifacio can cover it until then--hopefully.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
He threw one into CF yesterday.

You know Shuck is a lefty?

Yes, I know that he is left handed, which I stated. However, in his brief career, he has actually hit lefties very well. Last year, at AAA, he hit .355 vs. lefties.

His career stats in the Major Leagues are: .293 .333 .353 vs. LHP, which is better than his numbers vs. RHP.

He has been a better hitter vs. lefties, which although is unusual for a left handed hitter, seems to be a consistent trait of his.

Edited by Lillian

I don't think they need a straight platoon for LaRoche. Maybe just adjust the lineup against lefties. Something like:

1. Eaton CF

2. Ramirez SS

3. Abreu 1B

4. Garcia RF

5. Cabrera LF (he has been seeing at bats in the middle of the order this spring)

6. LaRoche DH/1B (heck, play him at 1B to give him more value on those days)

then 7-9

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 06:52 PM)
I kind of wished that Bonifacio would play every position for us as the primary backup other than pitcher/catcher, but now it seems like that won't be the case.

i have a feeling that Bonifacio will play in important role, once the season begins or more importantly when it becomes crunch time around late july. just my hunch.

If Soto can't throw the ball I don't know how the keep him as the backup. The Sox have always valued receiving over offense in the backup catcher and so far in spring Soto looks completely out of sorts back there. Also, if anyone should be the odd man out it's Beckham. If the team is going "all in" this year Sanchez's glove is better than Beckham's and he can't possibly hit much worse.

Beckham looked completely lost yesterday. His bat is so slow I don't see anyway he does anything more than 250/290/380 at the dish. I even think that ISO is optimistic. His power has evaporated he can't pull anything for power.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
If Soto can't throw the ball I don't know how the keep him as the backup. The Sox have always valued receiving over offense in the backup catcher and so far in spring Soto looks completely out of sorts back there. Also, if anyone should be the odd man out it's Beckham. If the team is going "all in" this year Sanchez's glove is better than Beckham's and he can't possibly hit much worse.

Beckham looked completely lost yesterday. His bat is so slow I don't see anyway he does anything more than 250/290/380 at the dish. I even think that ISO is optimistic. His power has evaporated he can't pull anything for power.

Considering you went on and on about Bonafacio and how he could be in the line up for long stretches without missing a beat, it's kind of weird you think Beckham at best is 250/290/670 so he should be cut and Bonafacio for his career is .262/.319/.660. Not exactly much better. And if Beckham's spring so far can lead to to judge, Bonafacio is 1-18, and he looks a little lost at bat.

It's March 16. They haven't been playing for 2 weeks. Way too early to judge.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)

Beckham didn't look completly lost when he bailed Robertson out of a jam by starting a very nice double play. He reaned pretty far to his left , gloved the ball and did a reverse pivot and made a perfect long throw to seco0nd base bag.

I know Gordon is the whipping boy for most here but remember why he is here; defensive competence and versitility. Also we don't care if he spends the majority of his time coming off the bench. Let Saldino and Sanchez get REGULAR playing time and develop more that is better fro them and the team than having them sitting.

also, I do not believe Soto is a lock for back up catcher. His throwing is very suspect. The Anaheim announcers even talked about it being in their scouting reports last year; stated they could "run hin out of the park".

OK, everybody back to complaining about Beckham now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 01:12 PM)
Considering you went on and on about Bonafacio and how he could be in the line up for long stretches without missing a beat, it's kind of weird you think Beckham at best is 250/290/670 so he should be cut and Bonafacio for his career is .262/.319/.660. Not exactly much better. And if Beckham's spring so far can lead to to judge, Bonafacio is 1-18, and he looks a little lost at bat.

It's March 16. They haven't been playing for 2 weeks. Way too early to judge.

The difference is obviously that one guy can play 7 positions, all passably and some well, and the other plays a mediocre 2B and 3B. It's tremendously valuable to have the versatility of Bonificio despite his light hitting.

QUOTE (59th street @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 01:19 PM)
Beckham didn't look completly lost when he bailed Robertson out of a jam by starting a very nice double play. He reaned pretty far to his left , gloved the ball and did a reverse pivot and made a perfect long throw to seco0nd base bag.

I know Gordon is the whipping boy for most here but remember why he is here; defensive competence and versitility. Also we don't care if he spends the majority of his time coming off the bench. Let Saldino and Sanchez get REGULAR playing time and develop more that is better fro them and the team than having them sitting.

also, I do not believe Soto is a lock for back up catcher. His throwing is very suspect. The Anaheim announcers even talked about it being in their scouting reports last year; stated they could "run hin out of the park".

OK, everybody back to complaining about Beckham now.

He's not versatile. Go check out his stats at 3B. He's Conor level without the bat. Beckham as the 25th man whatever, he's better than Leury.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 16, 2015 -> 01:21 PM)
Gordon Beckham = Kirk Hinrich = LaMarr Houston

Beckham will obviously make the MLB roster but he'd better only be here for platoon purposes. I know that's what Hahn said but who knows, things can change.

Who is he gonna platoon with? He has a wRC+ of 85 against LHP. Might as well just trot Conor out there and let him try and improve.