The 25-man right now

flavum

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 06:54 AM)
1 question. if Rodon come up and plays with the sox, either as a RP or SP. the sox keeps him on some sort of a pitch count, either way, would he still get fatigue?? i mean either mentally or physically, reason is, he still has yet have a full season of pro ball.

just wondering.

As a relief pitcher? Maybe, because he'd be going all out every time. As a starter even on a pitch count IMO almost certainly. He's never thrown more than 130 innings in a year in his career and even had some fatigue issues with fewer than that last year (people said the coach at SC was leaving him in games too long).

At some point you do have to pitch through it, but there's a difference between pitching through it in August at Charlotte and pitching through it in September against a team you're 1/2 game behind in the standings.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 05:12 PM)
As a relief pitcher? Maybe, because he'd be going all out every time. As a starter even on a pitch count IMO almost certainly. He's never thrown more than 130 innings in a year in his career and even had some fatigue issues with fewer than that last year (people said the coach at SC was leaving him in games too long).

At some point you do have to pitch through it, but there's a difference between pitching through it in August at Charlotte and pitching through it in September against a team you're 1/2 game behind in the standings.

you got it..... everything you mention is what i was slowing getting at. but those dog days of summer leading into sept, the sox in the middle of a fight for the playoff. (man, i get chills just thinking of this) how will Rodon perform.... no matter what, he still may get fatigued by the long concentration of playing ball. competitive ball, playoff kind of ball.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 12:21 PM)
you got it..... everything you mention is what i was slowing getting at. but those dog days of summer leading into sept, the sox in the middle of a fight for the playoff. (man, i get chills just thinking of this) how will Rodon perform.... no matter what, he still may get fatigued by the long concentration of playing ball. competitive ball, playoff kind of ball.

The ideal way to bring him into a pennant race is September 1 coming up and maybe giving 1 spot start but otherwise working out of the bullpen as an extra, high-octane lefty who might be able to be a dominant bullpen lefty if there's a playoff race, similar to what happened wiht David Price.

The question is whether the Sox's 4 and 5 starters will be good enough and starters 1-5 will be healthy enough for that to happen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 05:37 PM)
The ideal way to bring him into a pennant race is September 1 coming up and maybe giving 1 spot start but otherwise working out of the bullpen as an extra, high-octane lefty who might be able to be a dominant bullpen lefty if there's a playoff race, similar to what happened wiht David Price.

The question is whether the Sox's 4 and 5 starters will be good enough and starters 1-5 will be healthy enough for that to happen.

dang, a really good question.

me, i am limited in my knowledge of pro ball. i am thinking as a fan so i have half baked ideas. i am at a dilemma of the right way of doing this. i am glad the pro's know what to do, in other words, coaches.

but i would shut Rodon down, now that he and his agent knows he is not ready, and rest. start him back up during the all star time and start getting him ready for the playoff time.

but like i have always said, what the hell do i know.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 01:04 PM)
dang, a really good question.

me, i am limited in my knowledge of pro ball. i am thinking as a fan so i have half baked ideas. i am at a dilemma of the right way of doing this. i am glad the pro's know what to do, in other words, coaches.

but i would shut Rodon down, now that he and his agent knows he is not ready, and rest. start him back up during the all star time and start getting him ready for the playoff time.

but like i have always said, what the hell do i know.

Not a chance. I start him in April in Charlotte and see what happens. That's being way too cautious for me. The thing he needs to do most this season IMO is pitch >150 innings. If he clears 160-170 innings this year then I'm suddenly happy with him being penciled into the rotation full time next year with a 200 inning goal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 05:25 PM)
Not a chance. I start him in April in Charlotte and see what happens. That's being way too cautious for me. The thing he needs to do most this season IMO is pitch >150 innings. If he clears 160-170 innings this year then I'm suddenly happy with him being penciled into the rotation full time next year with a 200 inning goal.

you know you are right..... and yes i am being overly cautious. i can feel it, this team is ready to kick the freaking door down.

so yes, whatever plans the coaches have plan, i am sure they will be looking for the best in the sox interest. now that spring is almost over and again, his agent can see the sox are not holding him back.

next yr, #3 in the rotation and defending the WS title. :lol: :headbang :bringit

Position players seem pretty much set: Flowers, Soto (not on 40), LaRoche, Abreu, Johnson (not on 40), Ramirez, Gillaspie, Bonifacio, Beckham, Cabrera, Eaton, Garcia, Shuck

Starters: Sale (DL), Samardzija, Quintana, Noesi, Danks

Relievers: Robertson, Duke, Petricka (DL), Putnam, Guerra, Jennings, Albers (not on 40)

That leaves two pitching slots open to be filled until the two on the DL return. I guess Drabek could fill one of those roles but he has no options so then he gets DFA'd once Petricka is back, unless Drabek ends up being good enough to justify keeping Petricka in the minors. You already have to find three spots on the 40 for Soto, Johnson and Albers, so I have a hard time figuring out who else gets to go to Kansas City with the team. Only one spot open right now, and Brantly can probably get DFA'd, but I don't see another good candidate to be removed from the 40. Fernandez maybe?

Edited by HickoryHuskers

The Sox mentioned trying to trade Surkamp, which makes sense with tall of the secrecy going on right now.

I'd also have to imagine a guy like Cleto tops the list for being put through waivers and removed from the 40 man roster. After those two Brantley has to be at risk as well.

The Sox mentioned trying to trade Surkamp, which makes sense with tall of the secrecy going on right now.

I'd also have to imagine a guy like Cleto tops the list for being put through waivers and removed from the 40 man roster. After those two Brantley has to be at risk as well.

Forgot about Cleto. I'd rather DFA Cleto and Brantly and give Surkamp another chance in the minors (or is he out of options?)

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 08:59 PM)
Forgot about Cleto. I'd rather DFA Cleto and Brantly and give Surkamp another chance in the minors (or is he out of options?)

i am all for keeping Surkamp. i am a fans of his. same as Cleto..... that what burns me with Drabek. i do not see an upgrade.

then maybe i am being bias.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)
i am all for keeping Surkamp. i am a fans of his. same as Cleto..... that what burns me with Drabek. i do not see an upgrade.

then maybe i am being bias.

I don't think it's being bias. I find it really shocking to look at all the pitchers that have been competing since the start of ST on to tell them the new guy who's been here less than a week beat you out for a spot. Especially a guy who, other than being a top prospect ages ago, doesn't have the track record to go along with it. I'm hoping they see something in Drabek that can finally make him turn the corner.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 01:26 AM)
I don't think it's being bias. I find it really shocking to look at all the pitchers that have been competing since the start of ST on to tell them the new guy who's been here less than a week beat you out for a spot. Especially a guy who, other than being a top prospect ages ago, doesn't have the track record to go along with it. I'm hoping they see something in Drabek that can finally make him turn the corner.

i did not even look at it from that point of view.

nice point.