The 25-man right now

flavum

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 30, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)
Sanchez is young enough with enough upside that he needs to be playing everyday in order to develop. If he doesn't earn the starting 2B job with the Sox then he needs to be starting at SS/2B at Charlotte.

Beckham is as good or better than what most teams have as their utility infielder. We just have a hard time seeing it that way because he underperformed so much as a starter.

this statement has been made many times by many posters. i just thought of something right now. so pls, do not take my response as a personal afront, but using you post as a magnet, and no offense.

so many are saying he is still young enuf...... when does that "young enuf" stops being used? is MJ consider young enuf?? but his defense could use some seasoning. there are variables when someone is using the simple statement of young enuf. it does apply to all.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2015 -> 10:12 AM)
I know it won't be popular to say, but I see Sanchez ending up as basically Gordon Beckham, with a bit less power.

I think that utility player is a realistic ceiling for Sanchez just as it was a realistic floor for Beckham.

They do different things well but both are good defenders and deserve bench roles.

Micah has the upside and you need some breaks to go right to make it a special year

That said, Sanchez is the one they're more sure can handle the position. You could see a team's promising year broken by defensive miscues if you put another defensive risk on the everyday group. Defense was a problem last year and avi, melky, conor, abreu all have glove issues. laroche too despite his reputation.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 30, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)
Relevant to the discussion of how many lefties to have in the pen: Dan Jennings has relatively pronounced reverse splits in his career. .757 OPS allowed against lefties, .711 against rightes. I mentioned this the day we traded for him and still really hope somebody has informed Robin Ventura of this.

Those splits don't strike me as "relatively pronounced". That's actually pretty unpronounced for most relievers.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 30, 2015 -> 12:01 PM)
Those splits don't strike me as "relatively pronounced". That's actually pretty unpronounced for most relievers.

Fine, semantics. Most relievers don't have reverse splits though, and a 46 point reverse split is notable. The point is it shouldn't be assumed he is your typical lefty reliever.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 30, 2015 -> 09:39 AM)
See, that is where I disagree about Sanchez and his future. I think he will max out as a solid utility player, nothing more. But if you believe he can be more than that, then you are definitely right he should be playing every day in the minors.

I just don't see much from Sanchez. He is not a great SS, passable, but not great. Has no power whatsoever. He's not particularly fast. He has a decent eye at the plate and his best position is 2B.

If you replace Sanchez with Saladino with what you just said then I would definitely agree with you. Saladino's ceiling is a solid utility player and I'd much rather see him on the roster than Beckham. Sacrificing Saladino's development for the good of the team wouldn't be a big deal to me; like I said, his ceiling is a utility player and he would bring more to the team than Beckham IMO.

Who cares if Saladino isn't playing everyday at AAA if he's helping the team right now in a role that is his ML ceiling? Basically, he'd be doing what Leury Garcia did last year, only a lot better and more qualified at it. Saladino's already been sent down though, so it's all moot.

Anyway, on Sanchez, I agree that his most likely outcome is that of a solid backup/utility infielder, but I also think there's a decent chance that Sanchez can be an average or so starting 2B. The defense is there and he hits a lot of singles. He's still very young, so I could see him developing some gap power down the line. He did hit more HRs in AAA last year than his entire minor league career up to that point.

On a team like this, built the way we are, I think Sanchez is the better option at 2B over Johnson at this current time. Outside of Ramirez and Eaton, our starters are pretty weak defensively, so we could use all the help we can get on defense. We may be sacrificing Johnson's bat and speed, but he'll be the eventual starter anyway. I would just prefer that he continue working on his defense in AAA, and a few more at bats there wouldn't hurt either.

Despite what I just said, I'm fine with Johnson as the starter. As a fan, it'll be a lot more exciting seeing Johnson out there everyday as opposed to Sanchez, even if it may not be in the best interest of the team at this time (I understand that's debatable).

However, Sanchez probably isn't going to win the 2B job, so with the normal thought process on prospects, I think it's much more important that he is playing everyday at AAA because his ceiling is higher than Saladino's. Even with that, I'd totally be okay with keeping Sanchez over Beckham for the utility IF role even if it hinders his development. We're in win-now mode and our roster should consist of the best players available, and it's not like we're talking about two can't-miss prospects here who's development is critically important.

Sorry for the long post.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 02:46 PM)
We're getting close. 5 days until they leave Arizona.

Pretty safe to say we know the lineup:

Eaton, Cabrera, Abreu, LaRoche, Garcia, Ramirez, Gillaspie, Flowers, Johnson

Bench:

Bonifacio, Beckham, Shuck, Soto

Rotation:

Samardzija, Quintana, Danks, Noesi

Bullpen:

Albers, Cleto, Guerra, Jennings, Putnam, Petricka, Duke, Robertson

DL:

Sale, Crain

Still to be cut:

Asencio, Beck, Carroll, Drabek, E Johnson, Leon, Penny, Rodon, Surkamp, Kottaras, Sanchez, Beltre

With Johnson, Soto, and Albers being added to the 40-man, I would guess Drabek and Surkamp are good bets to be outrighted or traded, and if I had to guess a third...maybe Wilkins?

Since this, I'd say Cleto has pitched his way off and Petricka is going on the DL.

Carroll and Drabek are making the team, I think.

That would leave these cuts:

Asencio, Beck, Cleto, Johnson, Leon, Penny, Rodon, Surkamp, Kottaras, Sanchez, Beltre

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2015 -> 10:12 AM)
I know it won't be popular to say, but I see Sanchez ending up as basically Gordon Beckham, with a bit less power.

I think that's a fair comparison, but at the same time I see Sanchez hitting better than Beckham's career .245 BA. I'm thinking more like .260-.270, if that means anything given his non-existent power and lack of XBH.

Carlos Rodon said "eventually I'm going to be up there." Though it's not official, sounds like he'll start at Triple-A. #WhiteSox

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/582614886066188288

Rodon still starting Tues but he he'll start season at AAA. Hahn said breaking w team as reliever wasn't really considered.

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/582617026176274432

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 29, 2015 -> 06:07 PM)
It wouldn't but why bother. Rodon should not pitch out of the bullpen. Go to Charlotte and get starts in immediately.

Why bother ? First off if you believe the Sox have a shot at the playoffs Rodon in the pen might get an extra win while simulataneously limit his innings that might be needed down the stretch. Chances are he won't pitch more than 150 innings.

If he's starting all season it's possible he reaches that limit in September right when the Sox might need him most. If he delays starting until some time in May he'll have plenty of time to get in a groove starting and keep him from pitching too many innings early in the season.

I know it the Sox won't use him as a reliever but will probably limit his innings some other way throughout the season.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 question. if Rodon come up and plays with the sox, either as a RP or SP. the sox keeps him on some sort of a pitch count, either way, would he still get fatigue?? i mean either mentally or physically, reason is, he still has yet have a full season of pro ball.

just wondering.