Surkamp on trading block, roster moves coming

caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 02:55 PM)
They're not going to choose a veteran in Brantly over their own homegrown player in Smith...who has risen up in the organization and advanced level by level with pitchers that are familiar with/confident in throwing to him.

Wilkins is 50/50. They'd prefer he be the "next man in" rather than someone like Dan Black or Keon Barnum...dealing Ravelo exposed a little bit of their lack of quality hitting depth at this position.

Barnum is very young and struggled in A+ last year. He is not at all in the picture for the majors in 2015. At best he's in AA. If it isn't Soto, Wilkins or Black (which it likely would be), then as someone else said they bring up a position player like Saladino or something who plays all over and they split the DH.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 01:33 PM)
There are your presumable 21 locks. Of those, the following need to be added to the 40: Soto and Johnson.

Most likely one position player and three pitchers. Four other spots would be available to these nine players: Shuck, Kottaras**, Carroll**/Penny**, Cleto, Webb, Surkamp, Albers** and Guerra. Bolded means out of options, ** means would need to be added the roster.

--------

My personal guess would be Shuck, Penny**, Albers** and Guerra grabbing the last four spots. Leaving four players to be bounced from the 40 man. I would guess Cleto and Surkamp are gone and Jones goes to the 60 day DL. Leaving one other person to get bounced between Wilkins/Smith/Brantly. It would certainly make sense that it would be a catcher as it would be superfluous to carry five catchers on the 40 man.

Clearly the Sox will dump 2 of Kottras/Soto/Brantly. Now we come to Cleto - if Cleto's out of options, then he either makes the 25 or any team can grab him, right? We'll he's not making the 25 so obviously he goes.

That leaves Carroll or Surkamp. Carroll was already waived once and no one bit. Waive him again. I prefer Surkamp anyway.

Now I'm assuming Penny is viewed as a legit 5th starter. If he's not, he's on that boat out.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)
Clearly the Sox will dump 2 of Kottras/Soto/Brantly. Now we come to Cleto - if Cleto's out of options, then he either makes the 25 or any team can grab him, right? We'll he's not making the 25 so obviously he goes.

That leaves Carroll or Surkamp. Carroll was already waived once and no one bit. Waive him again. I prefer Surkamp anyway.

Now I'm assuming Penny is viewed as a legit 5th starter. If he's not, he's on that boat out.

Carroll is already off of the 40 man roster, I believe.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 02:15 PM)

I'm sure Soto has an opt-out date of April 1 or something. He'll be on the team though.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 10:04 AM)
I don't think it is that simple or sustainable. If it was, he would have struck someone out this spring I would think. You are paying him for 2015, 2016, and 2017, not 2014. I think Hahn got ahead of himself on this one.

Found a stretch from August 1 to August 23 in his play log last season where he went 25 batters between strikeouts, more than he's faced all this spring. His K/9 for the 15 remaining appearances after that stretch was 12.54. Random stuff happens. It's extremely fortunate for my argument that his season shook out that way, but even if it hadn't you'd be right when you said not to put any stock into a veteran's ST numbers.

sry will stop hijacking this thread now