Surkamp on trading block, roster moves coming

caulfield12

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 10:10 AM)
I'd doubt they get rid of Wilkins. He's actually exactly a guy you want, specifically because of Abreu and LaRoche. You need a slugging 1B type available for call-up as needed, but since they don't have a serious prospect there, you need a Wilkins type for insurance. If you lose Wilkins, then Dan Black becomes that insurance and that makes me far more nervous than Wilkins. I think Wilkins stays.

I agree. Wilkins stays, Leury goes.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 10:08 AM)
First, Cleto might get claimed but honestly the guy can't maintain control for more than a couple appearances anyway. So put him through waivers.

Then there's Brantly who has options left, so I think he can come off without waivers. Kottaras probably has an out. One of the two will be out of the org.

Then there's Leury Garcia, who I think they'll trade or release soon.

I think they want to keep both Smith and Nieto around, and I bet Nieto goes to AA, though technically right now he's in AAA.

Jones to 60-day opens a slot too.

Finally, I think Surkamp likely gets next to nothing in trade, but that's OK. I don't see him as being a particularly good lefty reliever anyway, and as a starter he'd be behind a good 4 or 5 guys in Charlotte.

Leury has options left, why would they release him?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 10:22 AM)
Leury has options left, why would they release him?

They have to outright him off the 40-man to make room. After that, I personally don't care if he sticks around and backs up Saladino and Sanchez at AAA or gets claimed by another team. He's far away from relevance in either case.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 10:29 AM)
They have to outright him off the 40-man to make room. After that, I personally don't care if he sticks around and backs up Saladino and Sanchez at AAA or gets claimed by another team. He's far away from relevance in either case.

That's the thing. The org is likely higher on Saladino and Sanchez, so Leury is just a bench guy in AAA anyway. So you try to trade him maybe, or waive him and then assign him. If someone takes him, oh well. If not, he's bench depth in Charlotte.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 10:10 AM)
I'd doubt they get rid of Wilkins. He's actually exactly a guy you want, specifically because of Abreu and LaRoche. You need a slugging 1B type available for call-up as needed, but since they don't have a serious prospect there, you need a Wilkins type for insurance. If you lose Wilkins, then Dan Black becomes that insurance and that makes me far more nervous than Wilkins. I think Wilkins stays.

If one of Abreu or LaRoche goes down, I think the team calls up a different position player, and uses DH as a rotating spot between the rest of the roster. If they thought much of Wilkins, they don't spend $25 million on LaRoche.

As you can see by my list, I wouldn't think he would be the first person to go, but I also don't see the White Sox looking at him as a player with much value to them.

Heck, the White Sox might even be higher on Diaz at this point than Leury...

In Charlotte, Saladino plays SS and some 3B, Sanchez plays 2B and Diaz/Garcia are the back-ups. Maybe one of them (or both) will be gone, but it's not important one way or the other.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 11:00 AM)
Heck, the White Sox might even be higher on Diaz at this point than Leury...

In Charlotte, Saladino plays SS and some 3B, Sanchez plays 2B and Diaz/Garcia are the back-ups. Maybe one of them (or both) will be gone, but it's not important one way or the other.

Leury is a nice guy to have at the team's disposal. He can pinch run and play + defense at several positions. A September call up candidate for sure.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 10:37 AM)
That's the thing. The org is likely higher on Saladino and Sanchez, so Leury is just a bench guy in AAA anyway. So you try to trade him maybe, or waive him and then assign him. If someone takes him, oh well. If not, he's bench depth in Charlotte.

I think Leury could be the everyday SS at Charlotte, Sanchez or Johnson at 2B, and Saladino playing like he did last year - playing everyday but not having a set position. I think people forget that Leury is still pretty young, the second youngest player on the 40 man behind Sanchez, younger than Micah, Davidson, and Saladino. He was rushed to the majors to fill a role, but given everyday at bats his bat could come around yet and he could be a Cesar Izturis type at some point.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 10:23 AM)
Sox acquire 1B/3B Neftali Soto from the Reds for cash. He's 26 and has around 30 professional at bats.....

MLB atbats

From the looks of things not a horrible bat, but it looks like positional versatility will cement him in MiLB probably for good.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 05:36 AM)
Related to adding spots for Kottaras/Soto, Brad Penny, Micah Johnson and Matt Albers.

One is going to be Nate Jones transferring to the 60-day DL.

So, along with trading Surkamp, they'll need to make at least two more roster moves...theoretically.

What are those moves going to be?

I think Leury is as good as gone. We have tons of MI depth and there doesn't seem to be a place for him in Chicago or Charlotte.

Wilkins or a pitcher far away from the majors could be gone, too. I think between Michael Ynoa, Onelki Garcia, and Raul Fernandez, Fernandez seems like the most likely.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 11:09 AM)
I think Leury could be the everyday SS at Charlotte, Sanchez or Johnson at 2B, and Saladino playing like he did last year - playing everyday but not having a set position. I think people forget that Leury is still pretty young, the second youngest player on the 40 man behind Sanchez, younger than Micah, Davidson, and Saladino. He was rushed to the majors to fill a role, but given everyday at bats his bat could come around yet and he could be a Cesar Izturis type at some point.

I really doubt Leury gets playing time above Saladino or Sanchez.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 11:23 AM)
Sox acquire 1B/3B Neftali Soto from the Reds for cash. He's 26 and has around 30 professional at bats.....

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 11:39 AM)
Could spell the end for Wilkins and/or Davidson as White Sox prospects.

Probably not Davidson, unless he's injured. More likely means Wilkins or Black leaving.

QUOTE (glangon @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 06:52 AM)
We have too many random relievers on the 40 man, so I would expect Maikel "No Control" Cleto and possibly Onelki Garcia (too many Garcia's on the roster) to be candidates along with possibly Raul Fernandez.

Of the hitters, possibly Beckham, Kevan Smith, Leury Garcia, Tyler Saladino or Andy Wilkins.

If I ws to bet my house on it, I would say Cleto, Garcia and Saladino.

Cleto due to his control issues, Garcia due to the number of relievers we have on the 40 man and Saladino due to the number of middle infielders that we have. Smith may be sacrificed due to the number of catchers that we have (but I think they want to keep him on the 25 man (he could be a trade candidate)

Anyone not making the 25 man or seen as a hot prospect is fair game as far as I'm concerned.

I think Leury is pretty much a lock to be moved, but I would hate to lose Saladino. I don't think we'd do that, though. Our MI depth is nice right now, but lose both of those guys and it's not so nice all of a sudden.

Cleto is another guy that could definitely be gone. I'm still intrigued with him though and hope we keep him around for a bit longer.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 11:37 AM)
I think Leury is as good as gone. We have tons of MI depth and there doesn't seem to be a place for him in Chicago or Charlotte.

Wilkins or a pitcher far away from the majors could be gone, too. I think between Michael Ynoa, Onelki Garcia, and Raul Fernandez, Fernandez seems like the most likely.

Zero chance Ynoa is gone.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 08:31 AM)
Call me crazy, but I'd rather have Surkamp at what he's making than Zach Duke with his contract. I still don't understand that contract.

It certainly doesn't hurt to have a non-terrible left-hander if needed. I wonder if he has any options left.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 11:37 AM)

Garcia and Fernandez aren't going anywhere before about half a dozen other guys. The team wants to see if they can refine their arms. Once they show failure, like a Cleto, they will get moved out for the next round of pick ups.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 09:10 AM)
I think Webb is going to Charlotte. I think he'll be back when he shows he can go a couple of outings without walking people and throwing wild pitches.

Webb needs to go to AAA.

The Sox loaded the 40 man with a bunch of relief pitches that throw hard or otherwise showed flashes, but haven't succeeded for whatever reason.

They won't get anything for Surkamp or any of them. They'll have to put them back where they found them...on the waiver wire.

Now if they want to trade Putnam or Petricka, they'll get some bites.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 12:33 PM)
C - Flowers

1B - Abreu

2B - Johnson

3B - Gillaspie

SS - Ramirez

LF - Cabrera

CF - Eaton

RF - Garcia

DH - LaRoche

Bench - Soto, Beckham, Bonifacio

SP1 Samardzija

SP2 Quintana

SP3 Danks

SP4 Noesi

CL Robertson

SU Duke

SU Petricka

MR Jennings

MR Putnam

There are your presumable 21 locks. Of those, the following need to be added to the 40: Soto and Johnson.

Most likely one position player and three pitchers. Four other spots would be available to these nine players: Shuck, Kottaras**, Carroll**/Penny**, Cleto, Webb, Surkamp, Albers** and Guerra. Bolded means out of options, ** means would need to be added the roster.

--------

My personal guess would be Shuck, Penny**, Albers** and Guerra grabbing the last four spots. Leaving four players to be bounced from the 40 man. I would guess Cleto and Surkamp are gone and Jones goes to the 60 day DL. Leaving one other person to get bounced between Wilkins/Smith/Brantly. It would certainly make sense that it would be a catcher as it would be superfluous to carry five catchers on the 40 man.

They're not going to choose a veteran in Brantly over their own homegrown player in Smith...who has risen up in the organization and advanced level by level with pitchers that are familiar with/confident in throwing to him.

Wilkins is 50/50. They'd prefer he be the "next man in" rather than someone like Dan Black or Keon Barnum...dealing Ravelo exposed a little bit of their lack of quality hitting depth at this position.

Edited by caulfield12