Samardzija Trade Packages

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 11:15 AM)
And apparently turn him into MLBs worst SS defensively?

By defensive runs saved?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/pos...ARBR/order/true

Here, he's ranked 11th in the majors.

Among qualified, 7th out of 20. Alexei Ramirez is last at 20th. Starlin Castro, Rollins and Ian Desmond are the 3 right before the bottom, in negative territory.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 11:56 AM)
Most catchers are mediocre major leaguers. The position is thin at best around MLB.

My point exactly. The Sox have bad catchers, other teams have bad catchers. However, the Sox have bad everything else as well, while other teams don't. That's the gap that's making the team so bad.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 01:43 PM)
My point exactly. The Sox have bad catchers, other teams have bad catchers. However, the Sox have bad everything else as well, while other teams don't. That's the gap that's making the team so bad.

Of course, right now the Sox have catchers that are also worse than everyone else (which is the case for 7 of their lineup slots), so just getting up to a bad catcher is still an improvement.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)
Of course, right now the Sox have catchers that are also worse than everyone else (which is the case for 7 of their lineup slots), so just getting up to a bad catcher is still an improvement.

It'd be an upgrade, no doubt. It's just to me it feels like adding an elite closer to a 90-loss team. It's a wasted luxury. Or I guess a complementary piece. Who cares if you have a good 7 or 8 place hitter when the middle of your line up isn't producing? Let's get some centerpiece hitters in here first before the lower-priority complementary pieces.

Guess he won't be traded to KC, haha...the A's and Royals are facing off again this weekend.

Inside the clubhouse, some Royals view Lawrie as a nuisance, an occasionally reckless player who exposes both himself and opponents to injury with his aggression. But they do not appear to classify him as a villain, the way some on the team view White Sox starter Jeff Samardzija, who tussled with Cain during the 50-man row at U.S. Cellular Field later that April.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/kansa...l#storylink=cpy

Edited by caulfield12

Looks like interest in Samardzija is picking up.

"The same teams that are pursuing Red Sox pitcher Clay Buchholz are going after White Sox hurler Jeff Samardzija. That list of teams includes the Royals, Tigers, Twins, Blue Jays, Yankees, Cardinals, Orioles, Angels, and Dodgers, according to Cafardo. Late last week, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reported that the Astros are also interested in Samardzija. Meanwhile, at this time, the Red Sox reportedly are not interested in moving Buchholz."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/06/cafa...eto-hamels.html

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 28, 2015 -> 11:45 AM)

"The same teams that are pursuing Red Sox pitcher Clay Buchholz are going after White Sox hurler Jeff Samardzija. That list of teams includes the Royals, Tigers, Twins, Blue Jays, Yankees, Cardinals, Orioles, Angels, and Dodgers, according to Cafardo. Late last week, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reported that the Astros are also interested in Samardzija. Meanwhile, at this time, the Red Sox reportedly are not interested in moving Buchholz."

Hopefully he continues to pitch well and with that many teams hopefully a chance for good return

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jun 28, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)
Hopefully he continues to pitch well and with that many teams hopefully a chance for good return

Agreed. I find it interesting the Royals, of all teams, are interested. That could be pure speculation too.

Hopefully Boston maintains their stance on keeping Buchholz.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 28, 2015 -> 11:45 AM)

Well the Tigers, Angels, and Orioles don't have a whole lot of interesting pieces, so I'd count them out. A lot of interesting options from the other teams though.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 28, 2015 -> 02:26 PM)
Well the Tigers, Angels, and Orioles don't have a whole lot of interesting pieces, so I'd count them out. A lot of interesting options from the other teams though.

Yeah I think the Yanks, Toronto, STL and the Dodgers make the most sense. Maybe Houston, Rangers and SF too.

an fyi.... the sox really don't have a history of trading with Balt, Miami, and i believe Tpa.

this is beside trading within AL central.

so within these exceptions, what teams will be a possible trading partner for the sox.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 28, 2015 -> 08:26 PM)

on team that have interesting pieces that can entice or work with the sox needs.

Yanks, Hou, and Dodgers.

the best one is not a contending team = Col.

interesting team that needs the most is Tor.

they need a sp and rp/cl.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 02:29 PM)
Nope. They can't trade him until after the World Series, but at that time Samardjiza would be a free agent.

http://www.bucsdugout.com/2015/5/1/8530719...es-mets-promote

-P- MLB has changed the rule that prevented teams from announcing the trade of any player within a year of his being drafted. Now teams can trade 2015 draftees beginning the day after the World Series, but they can't use drafted players as players to be named later in trades before that. The player most prominently affected by the previous rules was Trea Turner, who the Padres drafted in the first round. He's still in the Padres system even though San Diego agreed months ago to deal him to the Nationals as a PTBNL in the Wil Myers deal. The Pirates, of course, did something similar last April, trading 2013 second-round pick Blake Taylor to the Mets as a PTBNL when they acquired Ike Davis. Taylor remained in the Pirates' system until June, when the Pirates became eligible to trade him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 02:29 PM)
Nope. They can't trade him until after the World Series, but at that time Samardjiza would be a free agent.

Could always negotiating lesser players as part of the deal but just do it after the WS.

SF Giants waiting on Peavy and Cain first before they make any kind of deal....

Royals waiting on the return of Ventura/Vargas...Kris Medlen and former 1st rounder Sean Manaea are both rehabbing in the minors and getting closer.

They're more concerned with their lack of frontline "oomph." Right now, they have Volquez, Duffy, Chris Young, Blanton and Guthrie. Not sure how confident they are in Young/Blanton keeping this up.

http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/cubs-can%E2...&ocid=yahoo

In the middle of January, a fan stepped to the microphone inside a downtown Chicago hotel ballroom and told the Cubs prospects on stage: “We love you like we love our wives and our children.”

If that sounds a little creepy, well, that’s how prospects are treated in the age of social media. They got the boy-band treatment at Cubs Convention, fans rushing forward for autographs as soon as the Q&A session ended.

i think some teams will be hesitant on pulling off the trade now. i think some will wait until ASG to do it. giving the team a chance to reanalyze the team players. i wish the sox would make a sweetheart deal with a team, where the sox didn't max out the rtn for a player, but got some really needed pieces for the future.

but it does take 2 teams to make it happen.