2015 MLB Draft Thread - Discussion - DAY THREE

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 11:23 AM)
Zavala also was not in BP's 500. .952 OPS with 14 hrs this past season. Not too much to get excited about.

There rarely is much to get excited about on day 3 of the draft unless you are taking a guy that has fallen because he will be a tough sign so that isn't surprising.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 11:14 AM)
Without a #2 and #3 pick, this draft feels anticlimactic.

Fulmer and a few others will be good additions to FutureSox, but it feels to me like the draft after Fulmer is just filling minor league roster space.

Should I feel differently?

I don't know about "just filling space," but I would say don't expect anybody drafted yesterday or today to crack any organization Top 10 lists. (Fulmer will be No. 1 or 2 probably.) Hopefully someone like Stephens, Hickman or Glines can have a really nice early showing and move up some lists.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 11:34 AM)
There rarely is much to get excited about on day 3 of the draft unless you are taking a guy that has fallen because he will be a tough sign so that isn't surprising.

Eh it's more exciting with how it's set up these days to see a run on seniors or high schoolers that you can try to sign.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)
I went to the same high school as Stadler and have a brother who's a student there and a brother who's a teacher and football coach there. Just texted them to ask about Stadler, and here's what they say:

"No. Too mentally weak. Just got beat up in his last high school start too."

"He is 6'8" and has a straight fastball that reaches about 88. He is soft with no offspeed pitches. One of the best players on North just scoffed at that text because Fitz isn't very good."

I haven't seen him pitch so I don't know, but what do you see in him?

Well, reasonable minds can differ, eh? College baseball super-heavyweight ASU wants him, so there's that.

Won't go into details, but I have very direct GBS connections and have seen Fitz pitch a couple of times. Very talented high school pitcher ... with bell-curve quality high school coaching (meaning adequate) ... with enormous upside. Can't coach 6'8" or 6'9". Give the kid his "man strength," coach him up (ASU or quality minor league staff), and 88-90 becomes 95-97 just like that.

Intelligent and likable kid. Good family. Brothers playing Division I sports.

Yes, took a loss in last high school tourney game. Multiple scouts in attendance overheard muttering about typically poor high school umpires squeezing the kid unmercifully.

QB of the football team too, for Pete's sake. Soft? Mentally weak? So easy to throw out labels.

Anyway, I have no idea whether the kid will ever pitch in the pros, but just like ASU feels great about giving him one of their incredibly coveted spots, some GM will try to entice him away from ASU with a disproportionate bonus. Someone will always take a shot on someone with extreme measureables. I'll call it the Micker Adolpho Zapata theory.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 09:58 AM)
Chris Comito, P, HS

Is this our over slot guy? Hard to say. Not on BA's top 500, which you think he would be if he was.

I wouldn't imagine it would take too much to lure a kid away from University of Iowa, also looking at his Twitter it looks like he really wants to be drafted.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 12:03 PM)
Article on Comito from the Des Moines register mentions the White Sox as scouting him hard. Also says he's likely going to school unless he went in the firest 7 rounds.

Iowa Coach on Comito:

"Chris is a hard throwing (90 mph this fall) right-hander with a good breaking ball. He is a proven winner, competes well, and has great leadership potential. Chris has a huge upside and a bright future at Iowa. We love that Chris can already pound the strike zone, which should allow for him to compete early in his career. We are thrilled Chris has chosen to be a Hawkeye."

- 2014 Perfect Game Underclass All-American Honorable Mention

- Ranked as the 417th-best prospect nationally by Perfect Game

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 10:05 AM)
Can you provide some tweets please?

Here's a link to his Twitter account, basically he's been re-tweeting a bunch of messages about hearing his name soon in the draft. I could see this being a bonus pick but they could also hedge by picking another high-upside player that has slipped in a later round, kind of like Adam Engel a couple years back. There was a bit of a debate as to whether he'd sign or go back for his senior season since he had a pretty sub-par junior season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
Great Falls Voyagers ‏@gfvoyagers 57s57 seconds ago

With their 16th round pick, #472 overall, the #WhiteSox have selected RHP Brandon Quintero from Cal State Los Angeles!

Can't find anything on him pretty much. He did strike out 12.3 per 9 in Division 2. So there's that.