Multiple Victims in Charleston SC Church Shooting

Rex Kickass

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are really taking issue with a tragic event being the catalyst for positive change? The flag is offensive to a large number of Americans. It represents oppression, terrorism and treason. The removal of that symbol is an acknowledgment and a positive step forward in race relations.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 02:47 PM)
People are really taking issue with a tragic event being the catalyst for positive change? The flag is offensive to a large number of Americans. It represents oppression, terrorism and treason. The removal of that symbol is an acknowledgment and a positive step forward in race relations.

Americans will always do the right thing after they have tried everything else. (Churchill or someone else, who knows).

I'm a simple guy. This is how I view the situation.

Guy 1: Hey, what about that racist that killed a bunch of people in SC?

Guy 2: Tragic. We should use this as opportunity to discuss race relations.

Guy 1: Agreed. Maybe we should start by removing the state endorsed symbol of hate flying over the capitol.

Guy 2: Seems like a good start.

While it's a terrible way to have to get there, I think this incident might do more to help race relations than any of the other stuff that has happened recently.

For this reason:

These murders were 100% indisputably [though some idiots are still trying to dispute it] racially motivated.

The string of white-cop-shoots-black-guy incidents were all immediately portrayed as being racially motivated without any evidence or justification. In some cases, it was pretty clear that the shootings were justified, and in the cases where the shootings were of questionable justification or clearly not justified, there still isn't any evidence that there was racial motivation as opposed to bad judgment [that should still be prosecuted]. We reached this "crying wolf" point where people got tired of hearing the race card getting played every single time a white person killed a black person. It actually did more to hurt than help race relations because all it did was add fuel to the fire of the hate groups.

Now we have the tragedy in Charleston that is looking like it is becoming something that starts uniting people rather than dividing them. Confederate flags are disappearing at a rapid pace. Conservative politicians are returning donations from fringe groups.

Racism is a real problem, but so is race-baiting, and one cannot go away as long as the other is still around.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 12:01 PM)
So, now that the war on a flag is done, what's next? Renaming military bases named after confederate generals? Public buildings? Whistling Dixie going to be the new 'dog whistle'?

Renaming lakes

Renaming everything that is named after a confederate or slavery supporter is one hell of a task.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 01:47 PM)

That's not really what's happening. People are taking issue with the fact it's become a distraction and moved into absurd "overly politically correct" territory. Now we have companies like Apple (amongst others) removing all apps from the app store that contain a confederate flag. This moves the "confederate flag removal" subject into the area of the absurd, and takes it from a serious subject to a trivial one. What if I made a civil war game? How is that not relevant to the subject matter? What if I wrote a book about the confederacy, should we ban it because the book cover is a confederate flag?

I don't think anyone here has an issue with removing that flag/symbol from actual state buildings/flag designs. I just have some issues with how it's being done, and in reaction to why. If you really want it removed from official buildings, stop electing racists that 1) vote to put it there, and 2) vote to keep it there, and the flag situation would quickly resolve itself. As it stands now, even if it's removed, it's nothing more than an empty victory since the people that actually want it there are still in elected positions of power. It's an out of sight/out of mind thing, despite the fact that the root of the issue remains in place.

I'm just tired of the frivolous distractions. Every heinous act is followed by instant outrage and overreaction to a new icon/symbol/flag. In a country steeped in troubled history, you will never run out of offensive "flags" to remove, be it from sports team names/logos, to the names of streets, lakes, or otherwise. To me, it all just rings hallow, but I'm not saying you or anyone else here has to feel the same.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
That's not really what's happening. People are taking issue with the fact it's become a distraction and moved into absurd "overly politically correct" territory. Now we have companies like Apple (amongst others) removing all apps from the app store that contain a confederate flag. This moves the "confederate flag removal" subject into the area of the absurd, and takes it from a serious subject to a trivial one. What if I made a civil war game? How is that not relevant to the subject matter? What if I wrote a book about the confederacy, should we ban it because the book cover is a confederate flag?

I don't think anyone here has an issue with removing that flag/symbol from actual state buildings/flag designs. I just have some issues with how it's being done, and in reaction to why. If you really want it removed from official buildings, stop electing racists that 1) vote to put it there, and 2) vote to keep it there, and the flag situation would quickly resolve itself. As it stands now, even if it's removed, it's nothing more than an empty victory since the people that actually want it there are still in elected positions of power. It's an out of sight/out of mind thing, despite the fact that the root of the issue remains in place.

I'm just tired of the frivolous distractions. Every heinous act is followed by instant outrage and overreaction to a new icon/symbol/flag. In a country steeped in troubled history, you will never run out of "flags" to remove. To me, it just rings hallow, but I'm not saying you or anyone else here has to feel the same.

That's easier said than done when the Voting Rights Act was gutted by SCOTUS.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 08:35 AM)
Well, Democrats are taking the opportunity to push something more substantive than taking down the flags. Senator Patrick Leahy and Congressman John Lewis are introducing legislation to rebuild the Voting Rights Act that was gutted by a Supreme Court ruling two years ago.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)

While that's true, it just happened a few years ago...and there have been MANY national, state and local elections prior to that occurring. If the citizens really wanted those flags removed (as most suddenly claim), they'd have removed those idiots from office that kept them there all these years, yet they continued to elect them and will continue to elect them both before and after the voting rights act.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 03:52 PM)
It's more of eliminating the negative symbol of past oppression than it is eliminating Southern history.

if it was THE symbol, that would be one ting. but you know it will never end, there will always be symbols. Streets, buildings, forts, lakes. I was wondering how long until some liberal complained about the American Flag and was promptly rewarded with Louis F. who bloviated on about how it should be removed.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 03:52 PM)
It's more of eliminating the negative symbol of past oppression than it is eliminating Southern history.

It may have started that way but it turned a darker corner today when Apple banned video games of the civil war era that contain confederate flags. This was the kind of overreaction I feared would come of this mob mentality that's obviously in full effect. As I've stated in previous posts, removing them from state buildings was one thing (even though I'd prefer removing the politicians that have kept them there route), but we've now ventured into the absurd. They're now treading into dangerous territory, despite the fact it's their store to do with as they please.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 07:10 PM)
Nobody was calling for Apple to do that though. If there's an overreach there that's not the fault of the people correctly calling for governments to stop flying the flag and honoring confederate slavers

Nah, businesses are not intimidated by the screaming hoards at all. Not the hoards fault.

Nah, I think the people who keep complaining about people wanting the flags taken down are lending their support to those who want them to keep flying. You're essentially telling the people who are calling for the flag to be taken down (screaming hoards, lol) to shut up and talk about something else because some corporations might do something silly.

Apple has enacted stupid blanket bans on things in the past. Google has done it with adsense before. It's pretty ridiculous to try to hold a activists who are in no way calling for them to do that accountable.

Well your edit essentially confirms my point that you guys are just engaging in some weak concern trolling.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 05:29 PM)
It may have started that way but it turned a darker corner today when Apple banned video games of the civil war era that contain confederate flags. This was the kind of overreaction I feared would come of this mob mentality that's obviously in full effect. As I've stated in previous posts, removing them from state buildings was one thing (even though I'd prefer removing the politicians that have kept them there route), but we've now ventured into the absurd. They're now treading into dangerous territory, despite the fact it's their store to do with as they please.

I read somewhere this morning that you can still but nazi stuff on amazon but not anything with a confederate flag. Not a surprise. Gotta jump on that bandwagon while you can.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 08:54 PM)
I read somewhere this morning that you can still but nazi stuff on amazon but not anything with a confederate flag. Not a surprise. Gotta jump on that bandwagon while you can.

Have you searched "Nazi flag" on Amazon?