Puig Possibility Ended...

Lip Man 1

Iwakuma’s spent a good chunk of the year on the DL and is a pure rental, but he’s been great over his past three starts and is distancing himself from the bizarre and uncharacteristic homer problems that plagued him upon his return. Iwakuma has a 4.50 ERA, but both xFIP and SIERA feel his skills are more indicative of a 3.50ish ERA. He’s earning $7MM this season, making him very affordable.

As I noted in profiling Latos earlier this month, he’s been a different pitcher since coming off the DL with a nagging knee injury that likely ties back to the surgery he had in 2014. Latos’ fastball velocity is up more than two miles per hour since coming off the DL, and he’s striking people out in bunches. Since I last examined his stock, he’s allowed four runs in 20 innings with a 19-to-3 K/BB ratio. Overall, he has a 2.96 ERA with 8.5 K/9, 1.8 BB/9 and a 45.2 percent ground-ball rate in 45 2/3 innings since getting healthy. The Mat Latos of old is back, and he might be the most underrated rental on the market.

Here's two arms that will come at half the price of Samardzija and thus would be better bets IMO.

If the answer to HITTING is Matt Latos and Iwakuma.. I'd pass and re-sign Shark.

This team has a run scoring problem and really REALLY good pitching.

No offense to you, but what you suggest is a downgrade in pitching for...I'm not even sure, because you don't really say.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is N0 CHANCE THE CHICAGO WHITE SOX sign Yasiel Puig to their team.

Not now.

If it does ever happen, it won't be until he's ANCIENT and irrelevant like all of the rest of KWs work.........................

Edited by Ballz-n-Strikes

QUOTE (Ballz-n-Strikes @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 10:36 PM)
There is N0 CHANCE THE CHICAGO WHITE SOX sign Yasiel Puig to their team.

Not now.

If it does ever happen, it won't be until he's ANCIENT and irrelevant like all of the rest of KWs work.........................

Good because well acquire him via trade :lol:

Its more like $20M, plus he can opt for arbitration when he gets 3 years of service time.

Where are you getting that from?

Puig signed a contract. He's not even arb eligible until 2019. That's what makes him so special. Do even know what I'm talking about? Or...what you're talking about?

Let's start here....this is Yasiel Puig's contract:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...shtml#contracts

QUOTE (Ballz-n-Strikes @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:21 AM)

Puig signed a contract. He's not even arg eligible until 2019. That's what makes him so special. Do even know what I'm talking about? Or...what you're talking about?

That shows $17M through 2019.

Yearly breakdown:

2012: $2M, 2013: $2M, 2014: $2M, 2015: $4.5M, 2016: $5.5M, 2017: $6.5M, 2018: $7.5M

He can opt out for arbitration in 2016.

That shows $17M through 2019.

Yearly breakdown:

2012: $2M, 2013: $2M, 2014: $2M, 2015: $4.5M, 2016: $5.5M, 2017: $6.5M, 2018: $7.5M

He can opt out for arbitration in 2016.

It flat out says - His earliest arb is 2019. Can't be a FA until 2020.

QUOTE (Ballz-n-Strikes @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:34 AM)
It flat out says - His earliest arb is 2019. Can't be a FA until 2020.

Less of an issue, but an issue nonetheless, is a clause in Puig’s contract that allows him to opt out of the seven-year, $42-million deal if he accrues enough service time.

Here’s how it works:

Once Puig has enough service time to have become arbitration-eligible had he not signed this particular deal, he can void the contract. That doesn't make Puig a free agent, but it allows him to have his salary determined by arbitration.

Players with three years of service time automatically become eligible for salary arbitration. So if Puig is credited with a full year of service time this season, he could go through the arbitration process as early as 2016.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/26/sp...l-puig-20130326

QUOTE (Ballz-n-Strikes @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 10:19 PM)
If the answer to HITTING is Matt Latos and Iwakuma.. I'd pass and re-sign Shark.

This team has a run scoring problem and really REALLY good pitching.

No offense to you, but what you suggest is a downgrade in pitching for...I'm not even sure, because you don't really say.

These are just two of many Samardzija alternatives (not paying him $105 million for 5 years, where he'd be 36 or 37 at the end of the deal)....in free agency this coming off-season.

Not for current trades.

Fathom remarked the only way he'd deal Quintana would be if Shark signed an extension.

QUOTE (Ballz-n-Strikes @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:21 AM)

Puig signed a contract. He's not even arb eligible until 2019. That's what makes him so special. Do even know what I'm talking about? Or...what you're talking about?

No, I have no idea what you are talking about. Or what I am talking about. Please help me.

No, I have no idea what you are talking about. Or what I am talking about. Please help me.

Whatever....

The LaTimes doesn't get to decide to change a CONTRACT. It's black and white in the link. Look at it.

Puig got locked by the Dodgers because they were smart. He's a valuable chip now - $9/yr until his contract is over...

Whether he's worth MORE THAN THAT...we can talk about all day....And that could also include our garbage that LA would be interested in to steal that awesome situation FROM them.

But don't tell me some nonsnse about "I heard if he did something his contract becomes THIS".....

His contract is registered with the leauge and I linked it.

GTFO with that other nonsense.

QUOTE (Ballz-n-Strikes @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:17 AM)
Whatever....

The LaTimes doesn't get to decide to change a CONTRACT. It's black and white in the link. Look at it.

Puig got locked by the Dodgers because they were smart. He's a valuable chip now - $9/yr until his contract is over...

Whether he's worth MORE THAN THAT...we can talk about all day....And that could also include our garbage that LA would be interested in to steal that awesome situation FROM them.

But don't tell me some nonsnse about "I heard if he did something his contract becomes THIS".....

His contract is registered with the leauge and I linked it.

GTFO with that other nonsense.

It's the standard contract for almost all of the Cubans coming over these days.

The same thing applies to Abreu as Puig. It is meant to protect them from signing contracts that work too much to their disadvantage on the back end if they're performing at a very high level.

Yasiel Puig rf

7 years/$42M (2012-18)

signed Major League contract with LA Dodgers as a free agent 6/27/12

$12M signing bonus

12:$2M, 13:$2M, 14:$2M, 15:$4.5M, 16:$5.5M, 17:$6.5M, 18:$7.5M

may opt in to arbitration once he earns 3 years of Major League service time

agent: Adam Katz & Andy Mota, Wasserman Media Group (previously Jaime Torres)

ML service: 1.119

Cot's baseball contracts, please familiarize yourself with it, it will save you a lot of time and research and guessing.

It's the standard contract for almost all of the Cubans coming over these days.

The same thing applies to Abreu as Puig. It is meant to protect them from signing contracts that work too much to their disadvantage on the back end if they're performing at a very high level.

Yasiel Puig rf

7 years/$42M (2012-18)

$12M signing bonus

Cot's baseball contracts, please familiarize yourself with it, it will save you a lot of time and research and guessing.

You've demonstrated nothing different from what I said.

Why don't you "familiarize yourself" with conversation....less focus on being a blowhard and more on reading.

Even your #s are wrong.

QUOTE (Ballz-n-Strikes @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 01:28 AM)
You've demonstrated nothing different from what I said.

Why don't you "familiarize yourself" with conversation....less focus on being a blowhard and more on reading.

Even your #s are wrong.

How about Baseball Prospectus:

Yasiel Puig rf

7 years/$42M (2012-18)

7 years/$42M (2012-18)

$12M signing bonus

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensa...ngeles-dodgers/

Or MLB Trade Rumors

With a meager $4.5MM salary this year and three more years of control remaining for just $19.5MM, Puig’s contract has long looked like one of the game’s best bargains. (He can opt into arbitration once he reaches three years of service, but that would only potentially impact the last two years of the contract, since he entered the season with 1.119 years of MLB service, and any additional raises would obviously reflect his performance.) But his less-than-inspiring play this year and a variety of off-field issues have raised some questions about his true value.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/07/dodg...-listening.html

QUOTE (Ballz-n-Strikes @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 01:38 AM)
What constitutes major leage "service time"?

He signed on 6/27/2012.

Also, read the Contract the Dodgers posted with MLB.

He's not..what you think.......

The one where they didn't release details?

The Dodgers on Friday signed Cuban prospect Yasiel Puig, 21, to a seven-year Major League contract. The team did not release details of the deal, but an industry source told MLB.com earlier this week it would be for $42 million.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/34081436/

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:47 AM)

You just made those up. You paid off the writers from all those sites with bribes to prevent a Puig deal from going through! Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely...or so they say. This is a new form of argument never seen before, I'll give him that much. Now I know what it's like to be in a debate with Donald Trump at least.

:D

Edited by caulfield12

The one where they didn't release details?

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/34081436/

Is this article about a "trade" for Puig...or not (Goddamnit - No..it does not!)

My only argument is that you don't even know where Puig stands..... with the Dodgers (that goes for this Caulfield fella too).

You just made those up. You paid off the writers from all those sites with bribes to prevent a Puig deal from going through! Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely...or so they say. This is a new form of argument never seen before, I'll give him that much. Now I know what it's like to be in a debate with Donald Trump at least.

Did you even click that link...dipsh*t?

There's NOTHING TO SEE. JUST LIKE THIS ARGUMENT.

LOL. What an idiot...