Puig Possibility Ended...

Lip Man 1

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 11:59 PM)
These are just two of many Samardzija alternatives (not paying him $105 million for 5 years, where he'd be 36 or 37 at the end of the deal)....in free agency this coming off-season.

Not for current trades.

Fathom remarked the only way he'd deal Quintana would be if Shark signed an extension.

Exactly. There's a bunch of options for us to sign a pitcher in the offseason.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 11:37 AM)
Mods, please ban this idiot. Dude isn't going to last another day the way he's going, so might as well put him down now and allow for more quality discussion.

while i will refrain from my own opinion and request.... i really trust these mods and admin to do the right thing.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 01:09 PM)
Exactly. There's a bunch of options for us to sign a pitcher in the offseason.

esp when some of those pitchers may not be given a QO..... so getting them without loosing a draft pick would be nice.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 08:50 PM)
Quintana is nothing special. Puig is special.

As for Fulmer being in A ball, woopteedoo. The dude will be on the big club next season.

You do realize Quintana gets literally no run support. 9/10 he gets like one run of support. He's one of the most underrated pitchers in all of baseball and is left handed. Not to mention he is under control at a very team friendly contract. His value is really high.

Quintana a few starts ago, I seen a tweet from someone. It showed his last like 6 starts and he got 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0. I'll look it up.

Edit: found it. I was 3 games off and it was his last 9 losses.

@ckamka: Jose Quintana is 4-9.

White Sox runs scored in the 9 losses:

1-0-1-1-1-0-0-1-1

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 03:34 PM)
What's funny about people saying Q isn't special or isn't that good. Whelp I don't know how close he is, but he has to be up there with worst run support of all time.

i know, it drives me crazy. all he does is go about this job in a very workman like way.... no flash or any of that.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 08:41 AM)
Jose Quintana was the 8th best SP in the AL last year and is the 9th best so far this year. I'll be beyond pissed if he's traded.

I want Puig. If that means absolutely have to move Quintana for him, then so be it. We need an impact bat in the worst way.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 09:43 AM)
I want Puig. If that means absolutely have to move Quintana for him, then so be it. We need an impact bat in the worst way.

That's not Puig this year. Just a .249/.323/.416 slash overall and an anemic .187/.257/.341 over his last 35 games.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 09:49 AM)
That's not Puig this year. Just a .249/.323/.416 slash overall and an anemic .187/.257/.341 over his last 35 games.

I don't think his numbers this year is an accurate window to how good he really is. It's clear he's being chased out and not very well liked in LA. A change of scenery is exactly what this guy needs. I think if he is traded whoever gets him gets a guy with a chip on his shoulder. I think he'll have an impact like Manny did when traded to the Dodgers.

As far as Q for Puig, I was all for it a few days ago however losing Q impacts our chances of making a run more than adding Puig. I would love to add him just not sure if Q is something I would part with.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

And pretty much every overpaid veteran bat is a bad idea, too.

The only solution is what the Angels did, those incremental changes with a David Murphy type who's already familiar with the AL or David DeJesus, etc. You have to be pretty certain you're getting an upgrade over Avi or Saladino. Saladino's held his own so far, so you also have to decide if you want to displace him or if you're confident he can continue to play at this level.

It's very doubtful the White Sox are in a position to add another contract commitment beyond 2015 at mid-season unless it's for someone like Puig.

Look at the 2012 trades/acquisitions, Hudson/Youk/Liriano/Myers were all FA's at the end of that season.

If there was any hope for re-signing Samardzija (which I'm not advocating), bringing in the likes of a CarGo or Ethier or Reyes (guaranteed contracts for $15+ million per year through 2016 or 2017) will completely preclude that from happening.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 10:00 AM)
I don't think his numbers this year is an accurate window to how good he really is. It's clear he's being chased out and not very well liked in LA. A change of scenery is exactly what this guy needs. I think if he is traded whoever gets him gets a guy with a chip on his shoulder. I think he'll have an impact like Manny did when traded to the Dodgers.

As far as Q for Puig, I was all for it a few days ago however losing Q impacts our chances of making a run more than adding Puig. I would love to add him just not sure if Q is something I would part with.

I'm not against picking up Puig. The guy is uber talented and maybe a change of scenery is what he needs. What I am against is trading a 5 fWAR pitcher with 5 years of team control left at cheap salary to do so.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 09:06 AM)
I was for trading Q for Puig initially, but the more I think about the more I don't like it. Puig has red flags, and his performance this year is a big one.

On the other hand, if you're always in the business of buying high (Dunn, Cabrera, LaRoche, Keppinger, Robertson) and not on dips, then you'll be completely screwed if you also have a bottom tier farm system.

Look at guys like Contreras, Pods, Hermanson, Dye and AJ before 2005. You can add Jenks to that "questionable character" list as well, with AJ.

All of them were risks and had major red flags of one sort or another. Same with Carl Everett, for that matter, and El Duque (pretty big contract for someone who was going to struggle to be the 5th starter).

Sometimes, you have to roll the dice when you look at the track record of Puig over a three-year period and his age and then try to analyze what's actually going on....how much of it is physical, mental, comfort level, pressing?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 10:15 AM)
On the other hand, if you're always in the business of buying high (Dunn, Cabrera, LaRoche, Keppinger, Robertson) and not on dips, then you'll be completely screwed if you also have a bottom tier farm system.

Look at guys like Contreras, Pods, Hermanson, Dye and AJ before 2005. You can add Jenks to that "questionable character" list as well, with AJ.

All of them were risks and had major red flags of one sort or another. Same with Carl Everett, for that matter, and El Duque (pretty big contract for someone who was going to struggle to be the 5th starter).

Sometimes, you have to roll the dice when you look at the track record of Puig over a three-year period and his age and then try to analyze what's actually going on....how much of it is physical, mental, comfort level, pressing?

You make a good point but you generally don't want to buy low and sell high in the same move, which is what we would be doing by trading Quintana for Puig.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 10:18 AM)
You make a good point but you generally don't want to buy low and sell high in the same move, which is what we would be doing by trading Quintana for Puig.

Exactly. Buying low is fine. When the price is Q, that is not buying low. It's buying a low current performance for a premium price which gets GMs fired.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 09:12 AM)
I'm not against picking up Puig. The guy is uber talented and maybe a change of scenery is what he needs. What I am against is trading a 5 fWAR pitcher with 5 years of team control left at cheap salary to do so.

Then you won't get him. Guys like Anderson, Montas, Danish and Hawkins aren't of any help to the Dodgers right now.

You could spend your entire off-season FA budget ($80-120 million) on Wieters, Heyward, Gordon or Cespedes, and the odds are better than 50/50 that Puig would end up the better player at a fraction of that price.

That's the gamble, that you instead use that money on the starting rotation, and take your chances with Sale/Iwakuma or Latos/Rodon/Erik Johnson or Montas and Fulmer.

The question essentially becomes are you better off with Puig + Iwakuma/Latos (just throwing two names out there who will be closer to $50 than $100 million, Edinson Volquez would be another example, Francisco Liriano, etc.) or Sale/Quintana/FA pitcher/Rodon/EJ or Montas or Fulmer and basically the same line-up offensively, with Avi and LaRoche both getting lots of at-bats?

I think right now they can much more easily justify adding a younger, cost-controlled potential superstar position player and another veteran (Iwakuma/Latos/Gallardo, etc.) than they can justify $90-110 million on a pitcher in his early 30's like Samardzija.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 09:18 AM)

It would probably be contingent on getting one more player like a Guerrero or Barnes.

If you can kill two birds with one stone, then it's starting to make a lot more sense from a short and long-term standpoint.