Planned Parenthood videos

Cknolls

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree with the one candidate who said it's sad the country is mourning the death of a lion and unwilling to embrace this issue involving developing human beings bodies more deeply. Trump said he'd shut down the government rather than give Planned Parenthood any money at all because of this issue.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 03:56 AM)
I do agree with the one candidate who said it's sad the country is mourning the death of a lion and unwilling to embrace this issue involving developing human beings bodies more deeply. Trump said he'd shut down the government rather than give Planned Parenthood any money at all because of this issue.

Trump is like your really dumb relative who forwards you internet chain emails.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 08:19 AM)
Trump is like your really dumb relative who forwards you internet chain emails.

BILL GATES IS GOING TO GIVE ME 1000 DOLLARS IF I SEND THIS

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 10:56 PM)

The dumbest thing on the internet these days is people saying one cause is more important than the other. "I can't believe people are mourning a lion but don't care about the men killed in Chattanooga!"

You're allowed to care about more than one cause and anyone who says something like the above is bigger idiot than anyone.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 06:03 AM)
The dumbest thing on the internet these days is people saying one cause is more important than the other. "I can't believe people are mourning a lion but don't care about the men killed in Chattanooga!"

You're allowed to care about more than one cause and anyone who says something like the above is bigger idiot than anyone.

But it plays well with the base!

The irony here is that Trump doesn't have a religious bone in his body and was pro choice not so long ago.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:03 AM)

Depends on how you choose to look at it.

For the most part, nobody that said something like this implied you cannot care are multiple things at once, they're merely pointing out that most of the people jumping on that bandwagon didn't actually care...and based on my Facebook feed, I'd agree.

When a person actually cares about something, they don't only do so while it's the popular thing to do, but modern social media has created an entire population of people that "care" about things for minutes at a time, and only while it gets them a little attention.

The opportunistically offended are always the loudest, and the quickest to move on to the next subject they don't actually care about.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 08:05 AM)
Guess I'm one of the rare few. I've always been against hunting for sport. I can see what you mean about jumping on bandwagons for causes. I witness it on FB as well.

And don't get me wrong, I have no issues with people "chiming in" with their opinions, it's what social media is for. We all do it here for the sake of discussion. But that's not the type I'm talking about. As a good recent example, I'm talking about the ones that never cared about or spoke out for gay rights -- not once -- but suddenly their entire Facebook page was splashed in rainbows when it became the thing to do, and in a way, it became about them more than the actual cause.

Scott Walker calls abortion to save a woman's life a 'false choice'

"It's a false choice. There is always a better option out there," Walker told Fox News' Sean Hannity on Thursday night.

"I've said for years, medically there's always a better choice than choosing between the life of an unborn baby and the life of the mother," he added. "Medically that's just a nonissue."

edit: should be pointed out that the above is literally nonsense. There are absolutely cases where carrying a pregnancy to term will result in the death of both the mother and the fetus.

Last month, Walker signed legislation making it a felony to perform abortions after 20 weeks, except when the life of the mother is in immediate danger. It does not include exemptions for rape, incest or the health of the mother.
Edited by StrangeSox

Ben Carson Once Did Research On Fetal Brain Tissue

In a 1992 study, Carson and his colleagues from Johns Hopkins used fetal tissue to better understand how the human brain develops. But in the wake of the Planned Parenthood videos, the presidential candidate has called fetal tissue research “disturbing.”

his explanations for why it was different in his case don't really make a lot of sense.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 07:54 AM)
They seem to make perfect sense to me.

His research relied directly on fetal tissue samples collected during abortion procedures, the very thing people are railing against PP for providing now.

edit: here's a wapo article on the same subject, and this is the part of his explanation that really makes no sense:

"Bear this in mind about pathologists," said Carson. "Regardless of what their ideology is, when they receive tissue, they prepare the tissue. They label it. They mark how it got there. Regardless of whether it’s from a fetus or someone who’s 150 years old, they bank them in tissue blocks. Other people doing comparative research need to have a basis. When pathologists receive specimen, their job is to prepare the specimen. They have no job opining on where the tissue came from."

Pathologists have no job opining where the tissue came from, and other people needing comparative research need to have a baseline to compare to. It's a "baby" when its aborted but by the time the pathologists get it, it's just some tissue from a specimen with no need to worry about the source. But fetal tissue collection is bad, even though pathologists need it to catalog for future comparative research, which is good research that helps us better understand human health and extend lifetimes and treat illnesses.

It just runs in circles.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 12:54 PM)
They seem to make perfect sense to me.

How so?

Ben Carson is outraged that Planned Parenthood would donate aborted fetal tissue to medical researchers.

Ben Carson formerly performed medical research involving donated aborted fetal tissue.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 09:30 AM)
Some conservatives in congress are threatening yet another government shutdown unless funding for planned parenthood is stripped from the federal budget this year. Governance by continual crisis is the best!

And there are only like 12 days where Congress is in session before the shutdown date. And they also still haven't passed a number of other major things like a highway funding bill.

The likeliest end result on everything seems to be another set of continuing resolutions that just punt everything until December, but I wouldn't rule out a shutdown.

And there are only like 12 days where Congress is in session before the shutdown date. And they also still haven't passed a number of other major things like a highway funding bill.

The likeliest end result on everything seems to be another set of continuing resolutions that just punt everything until December, but I wouldn't rule out a shutdown.

I think the PP issue f***s up any CR the same way it would an actual budget.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 09:37 AM)
I think the PP issue f***s up any CR the same way it would an actual budget.

The question will be how much they actually want to shut it down. To make it happen they basically would need party leadership to go along with the shutdown idea since they control who gets access to the floor and for how long. If party leadership isn't ready for a shutdown, it won't happen.

The question will be how much they actually want to shut it down. To make it happen they basically would need party leadership to go along with the shutdown idea since they control who gets access to the floor and for how long. If party leadership isn't ready for a shutdown, it won't happen.

I'm not so sure that there aren't 41 Senators who would filibuster a CR that funds PP, even if leadership doesn't want the shutdown.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 08:22 AM)
How so?

Ben Carson is outraged that Planned Parenthood would donate aborted fetal tissue to medical researchers.

Ben Carson formerly performed medical research involving donated aborted fetal tissue.

They don't 'donate' anything, they sell it. Big difference. And they need the consent of the women to even do that, which the last 2 videos claim they rarely got.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)
They don't 'donate' anything, they sell it. Big difference. And they need the consent of the women to even do that, which the last 2 videos claim they rarely got.

They donate it and recoup the processing costs. It's the exact same thing a hospital would do if you are an organ donor. Or what an animal rescue organization does when they adopt out an animal. These videos have claimed lots of things, but so far they've shown absolutely nothing when they aren't heavily selectively edited.

You're also not actually addressing the point.

edit: besides, I thought the only thing you cared about was some hypothetical program wherein taxpayers would be paying for abortions?

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 06:28 PM)
They don't 'donate' anything, they sell it. Big difference.

No, they donate it, and are allowed to charge a fee for shipping/handling/storage. This is how all medical donation works.

Sounds like you just accepted the anti-PP claims at face value.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 14, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)
No, they donate it, and are allowed to charge a fee for shipping/handling/storage. This is how all medical donation works.

Sounds like you just accepted the anti-PP claims at face value.

And sounds like you have equally accepted the PP version. That's fine. But when they negotiate the pricing, that isn't 'recouping costs'.