8/9 at KC Royals

flavum

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 01:49 PM)
Lol - Hawk, the only broadcaster in history to perfect the art of invoking the word "sphincter" into a broadcast!!

'Boner', too.

To be fair, Hawkaroo is easily the greatest broadcaster of all time. Beyond hilarious, even when he is riled up or pouting. Or should I say, especially when he is riled up or pouting. Granted, 90% of fun is probably unintended, but who cares I like it anyway. Let the h8rs h8.

Podsednik is awful but so are most if not all robothons, it's just a nature of the job. Hawk and Stone actually work well perhaps because they are so seemingly incompatible; I miss their awkward silences.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 01:51 PM)
And yet the pitching war (at least for starters) was among the best the majors two weeks ago.

Something's up with Sale, physically. That long strikeout streak took something out of him...hasn't been the same since.

Flowers an abysmal 5/43 throwing out runners. But, pitch framing!

Toronto continues to advance like wheat thresher through the AL.

1) That's because Coop has always had so much sheer TALENT to work with. Vazquez, Buerhle, Garland, Freddy, Colon, Contreras, Edwin Jackson, Liriano, Sale, Samardja, Quintana, Danks, Javy Vazquez, 2005 version of Brandon McCarthy just to name a few off the top of head... are you effin' kidding me! And also because he once upon a time was probably a decent coach, with some strengths, no doubt. Just not the demigodly guru that he is to most Sox fans/commentators.

2) Sale is not necessarily hurt, though he is high risk for it obviously. It's just that as most other Don Cooper proteges, Chris Sale doesn't do well under big pressure. He will overwhelm you with sheer velocity and late movement, but if his back is under a wall, his focus will occasionally wane, his mechanics go out of whack, his breaking ball hangs inside, his change-up is tipped off.... you get the point.

It's also why the whole "double-digit strike-out streak" was so friggin' stupid. WHO CARES! All it did was cause Sale to overthrow and over-stress his arm. Even the big innings like the 4th in Minnesota or the 6th in Boston happen because of the usueless trivia pressure to K batters. Fans and even managers care about trivia nonsense way too much IMO.

Toronto is not the team Sox are chasing for final WC spot. It's the declining Angels since Pujols juice revival can only take him so far. Trout, too,

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 02:01 PM)
Podsednik and Harrelson thinking that Eaton's sore shoulder is impacting his swing.

That's because the inmates are running the asylum, and Robin is too much of a coward to tell Eaton to sit his ass for a few days. Just as he is when Chris Sale or Shark want to stay in the game past the point of hanging everything over the heart of the plate. It's reason like #34 why the coaching staff needs to be axed.

Eaton also is way too greedy for a lead-off hitter whose reaching base has proven so crucial in Sox winning games during hot streaks. Put it another way: I don't care if Eaton hits another HR the rest of his career, though it's a nice bonus it's not his job.

Those 3-2 hacks are WAY too big. Just dumb baseball 101. Especially if his shoulder is hurting. Especially seeing how wild Chris Duffy is as well as how difficult it is for a LH to square Duffy up in recent starts.

Dumb dumb dumb.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)
Avi not even trying to pull the ball

Good!

Trying to pull (non-hangers) in June-July is what got him in such trouble. That is not his game and never will be. He is not Gary Sheffield-on-roids or even Alexei Ramirez.

Now, does it mean Avi is going to magically solve his woes by just letting the ball get deeper on him? No, that's not enough. He still needs to learn to utilize the advance scouting reports and to "think along" with the opposing pitcher. Avi still needs early pitch recognition. Smaller strike-zone. Shorter path to the ball and a more level swing plane. He is so strong, his line-drives oppo will still turn into doubles and HR in July at USCF.

In other words, just making (quality) contact, is paramount. Maybe another off-season + ST will get him back on track.

QUOTE (L. Ron Paultard @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 07:25 PM)
1) That's because Coop has always had so much sheer TALENT to work with. Vazquez, Buerhle, Garland, Freddy, Colon, Contreras, Edwin Jackson, Liriano, Sale, Samardja, Quintana, Danks, Javy Vazquez, 2005 version of Brandon McCarthy just to name a few off the top of head... are you effin' kidding me! And also because he once upon a time was probably a decent coach, with some strengths, no doubt. Just not the demigodly guru that he is to most Sox fans/commentators.

2) Sale is not necessarily hurt, though he is high risk for it obviously. It's just that as most other Don Cooper proteges, Chris Sale doesn't do well under big pressure. He will overwhelm you with sheer velocity and late movement, but if his back is under a wall, his focus will occasionally wane, his mechanics go out of whack, his breaking ball hangs inside, his change-up is tipped off.... you get the point.

It's also why the whole "double-digit strike-out streak" was so friggin' stupid. WHO CARES! All it did was cause Sale to overthrow and over-stress his arm. Even the big innings like the 4th in Minnesota or the 6th in Boston happen because of the usueless trivia pressure to K batters. Fans and even managers care about trivia nonsense way too much IMO.

Toronto is not the team Sox are chasing for final WC spot. It's the declining Angels since Pujols juice revival can only take him so far. Trout, too,

Cmon. Your Coop criticism is a little out of hand. He's not the devil. I may not like him much, personality wise, but you are acting like he's Bevington. The pitchers deserve some of the scorn, most of the scorn.

QUOTE (L. Ron Paultard @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 03:41 PM)
Good!

Trying to pull (non-hangers) in June-July is what got him in such trouble. That is not his game and never will be. He is not Gary Sheffield-on-roids or even Alexei Ramirez.

Now, does it mean Avi is going to magically solve his woes by just letting the ball get deeper on him? No, that's not enough. He still needs to learn to utilize the advance scouting reports and to "think along" with the opposing pitcher. Avi still needs early pitch recognition. Smaller strike-zone. Shorter path to the ball and a more level swing plane. He is so strong, his line-drives oppo will still turn into doubles and HR in July at USCF.

In other words, just making (quality) contact, is paramount. Maybe another off-season + ST will get him back on track.

I continue to think this is 100% wrong. He constantly tries to flip the ball to right field and so he's extremely vulnerable to the pitch in the middle of the plate/in.

Didn't realize we hadn't won a game yet in KC.

3-9 on the season, 0-5 at Kauffman.

6-6 and the White Sox are at .500. Of course, we probably shouldn't be 5-1 against Houston.

More baserunning exploits...Balta was right, Eaton probably needed to sit, everything has been out of sync with him since then.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (L. Ron Paultard @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 07:32 PM)
Those 3-2 hacks are WAY too big. Just dumb baseball 101.

Yes but most hitters today are taking the same hacks on 3-2 as any count. Again, it's not just Eaton, whom I'm not a big fan of, but it's a disease in baseball today. Many (most) hitters swing from their heels with two strikes. Pete Rose was talking about that. It's macho s***.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 07:44 PM)
I continue to think this is 100% wrong. He constantly tries to flip the ball to right field and so he's extremely vulnerable to the pitch in the middle of the plate/in.

Does he have any homers to left on a fastball this year?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 02:44 PM)
Didn't realize we hadn't won a game yet in KC.

3-9 on the season, 0-5 at Kauffman.

6-6 and the Whire Sox are at .500. Of course, we probably shouldn't be 5-1 against Houston.

More baserunning exploits...Balta was right, Eaton probably needed to sit, everything has been out of synch with him since then.

Team is bad yet Hahn to dumb to see it. Once Cub series is over I hope the cell is ghost town the brass deserves nothing less.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 01:44 PM)

Unless he can pull his hands in and turn on the ball, he's going to get a steady diet of fastballs there.

Abreu was able to adjust to that same exact pitching approach.

Avi has to either force his hips to open up by changing his stance...or simply rely on feasting on breaking stuff, which isn't going to be enough to get him to even a 1 war with his defensive issues.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 07:46 PM)
Team is bad yet Hahn to dumb to see it. Once Cub series is over I hope the cell is ghost town the brass deserves nothing less.

I don't think Hahn is dumb. They just made the easy, wrong decision about a White Flag sale. The Sox thought they were in the wild card race but these players showed their true colors right after the trade deadline. Granted it's now a fireable offense NOW to not have known 7-1 vs Cleveland and Boston meant nothing.

Hahn also should be fired for the Melky/LaRoche acquisitions in the offseason, but they are not necessarily "dumb." Some people liked the acquisitions. We also really didn't need Robertson. Could have done closer by committee again.