8/9 at KC Royals

flavum

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 04:02 PM)
I don't know if there's a stat to show this but I feel like Petricka does better when he comes into the game with runners on than when he leads off the inning himself. His OPS is about 100 points lower with RISP than with the bases empty, that's about as close as I can get.

WEll he doesn't strike out enough batters to use to get out of jams.

I guess he's just not a very good reliever.

Actually, he's okay -averageish.

Ultimately, same old story today. Lose on a grounder.

Edited by GreenSox

Well that makes 10-13 since the AS break, 3-12 against teams other than the Indians and Red Sox, 0.5 games ahead of the Indians and tied with them in the win column, 2-7 since the trade deadline and Rick Hahn saying "If we keep playing like this we'll be right there in the end".

Three straight one run losses.

The only consistent thing about this team this year is their inconsistency and inability to stand prosperity.

Two examples:

Win six straight...then lose seven of the next eight.

Win seven straight...then lost eight of the next 10 (and counting...)

When you have as poor an overall approach to hitting as the Sox have, plus poor base running judgment and at best mediocre defense you simply can't go on extended runs no matter how many "veterans" you bring in.

Fundamentals fans decide close games. Always has, always will and the Sox are bad at those aspects of the game.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 05:17 PM)
WEll he doesn't strike out enough batters to use to get out of jams.

I guess he's just not a very good reliever.

Actually, he's okay -averageish.

I feel like he gets out of jams the way he did today - with the GIDP.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 04:17 PM)
Well that makes 10-13 since the AS break, 3-12 against teams other than the Indians and Red Sox, 0.5 games ahead of the Indians and tied with them in the win column, 2-7 since the trade deadline and Rick Hahn saying "If we keep playing like this we'll be right there in the end".

Hahn is a clown also and needs s*** canned.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)

It's hard to discern what is/has been Hahn and what is Williams. But it's all been a mess for a while.

They absolutely need to sweep the dugout braintrust 100% clean. maybe the front office too. Or at least bring in a new Kenny.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)

The thing that we don't know... did Hahn put this club together in Kenny's vision for the club?

Meaning, does Hahn think like Kenny? Or is he just doing what his boss wants him to do within the parameters of Kenny's approach?

I'm a Hahn fan as a person and a communicator. If you promised me Kenny, Buddy, and the entire coaching staff gone, I wouldn't be against Hahn hiring his own manager and giving him three years to get a better path for this team.

But, that won't happen.

QUOTE (muddywolfjohnson @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 04:29 PM)
Man, what a heartbreaker this series was...

Any real emotion for this team went out the window for me when McEwing sent Alexei home last week. That was the nail in the coffin.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 04:30 PM)
The thing that we don't know... did Hahn put this club together in Kenny's vision for the club?

Meaning, does Hahn think like Kenny? Or is he just doing what his boss wants him to do within the parameters of Kenny's approach?

I'm a Hahn fan as a person and a communicator. If you promised me Kenny, Buddy, and the entire coaching staff gone, I wouldn't be against Hahn hiring his own manager and giving him three years to get a better path for this team.

But, that won't happen.

Too have Hahn sit there with a straight face and say, he did not want to mess with the teams chemistry was it for me. This team was not even .500 WTF!

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 03:50 PM)
There's no "retroactively applying it to his entire career", that's who he's been his entire career. When he first came up in 2013 he was able to keep his batting average high by blooping the ball in front of the RF. You can see that easily in his spray charts for 2013 and 2014,

That's the root cause, the symptom for him was always "the balls he hits are falling in-between the 2b and the RF". He kept his batting average up that way...then pitchers learned to adapt. We've been saying it would happen since 2013 - in fact that might be the biggest disappointment of his 2014 campaign, since he lost so much time he never got into the slump that was bound to happen with his approach. Several of us were saying that as far back as 2013 - his approach would never work longterm, and now he's in exactly the funk that we expected.

Actually, part of that is quite wrong. Hitting to CF and RF is a... good thing. In almost 150 year baseball history, that's about the only thing that's proven to work: short swing path, level swing plane, keeping the head on the ball as long as possible, using all fields. That's not even debatable. Sure, getting a hanger to lift a towering, majestic HR to Left is nice, but on the vast majority of pitches, just decent line-drive is all a hitter can hope for. Yes, even the best ones.

Esp. when you're talking about a 22-year old who hasn't seen the league a few times -- and big-league pitchers ALWAYS have a big advantage first few times through. So in 2013, Garcia was getting pitched away because presumably most pitchers know that young hitters love inside fastballs and hate slow stuff away. But Garcia is the exact opposite of that profile. So Avi merely took what the pitchers were giving him. Perhaps with time, as he learned how to "zone" up the pitchers and how to "sit" on fastballs middle-in, he'd be the prototypical power slugger Balta you wanted him to be. Even pulled some early season HR in 2014 but then got hurt and lost a year of development. Cue more success the old way in 2015..... it wasn't until like June 2015 when you noticed just how uncharacteristically impatient and pull-happy overaggressive Avi got.

That's not a coincidence. The pitchers didn't just start to get scouting reports or utilize some magical OF shifting schemes in July 2015 -- as you would have us believe. No, what's changed is that those chest-high fastballs on 0-2, 1-2 that Avi used to smartly let go, he now started to chase.

Likewise, those sinkers heading at his freakin' show-laces that Avi used to lay off of -- now he trying to uppercut like it's golf or something.

Then goes the confidence, the league seeing him being so out of whack throws even less drive-able pitches down the middle.... like I said, a textbook vicious spiral for a hitter. Even the "lethargic" in between-look is present.

If a year from now, with a different hitting coach Garcia is still blown away like that, then it's time to give up. Right now cut some slack, k

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 04:30 PM)

But, that won't happen.

Which is a failure of Jerry Reinsdorf and why this organization desperately needs new ownership. He sets the tone at the top, and it is he who has put this dysfunctional management team in place. And the fact that no matter the continuing inability of this team to bring sustainable success to the organization and seemingly no accountability or repercussions for doing so, continues to point out that Reinsdorf is the real problem here. His failure has permeated the entire organization.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 04:36 PM)
Too have Hahn sit there with a straight face and say, he did not want to mess with the teams chemistry was it for me. This team was not even .500 WTF!

Good lord, did he say that?

Chemistry was his worry?

I will tell you from a baseball analyst viewpoint that we can't lose three straight to KC and have a chance at anything good. 3 one-run losses. WOW! And to have Shark perform so badly again when we needed him to step up. Interesting to see what Sale does against LA. Our strength was pitching and it has deserted us

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 04:01 PM)
Petricka gives up far too many hits to be a set-up man

I don't know maybe I don't know baseball as well as I did as a kid, probably a little rusty

but at least to ME the very idea of using a 1-pitch mediocrity personified as "Petricka" and "set-up man" in the same sentence....

basically that's the problem right there in a nutshell: Ideally, Petricka is a #5 reliever on a non-contenting team. To ask him to be your #1 in the most high-leverage situations is sheer folly.

Plus, in addition to not having anything remotely useful as a secondary arsenal.... Petricka exudes the words "flop sweat" whenever I look at him. Same thing when looking at say Tyler Flowers, haha

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 03:36 PM)

To be fair and from a devil's advocate standpoint the team was playing very well heading into the break and Hahn may also have been saying what he did because no other team wanted what he was offering. (If that's true that speaks volumes about how MLB views the Sox "talent".

Personally I think there's some truth to the last part of my statement. Honestly who wants a lot of the s*** we put out there day after day?

Mark

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 03:36 PM)

To be fair and from a devil's advocate standpoint the team was playing very well heading into the break and Hahn may also have been saying what he did because no other team wanted what he was offering. (If that's true that speaks volumes about how MLB views the Sox "talent".

Personally I think there's some truth to the last part of my statement. Honestly who wants a lot of the s*** we put out there day after day?

Mark