Saladino could take over ss until Anderson is ready

Whisox05

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 03:49 PM)
I don't know, but the short answer is not many. And you could look deeper and say how many make the majors and stay there? There are plenty of guys who get called up in September or for a brief stint to cover for an injury but never spend an entire season at the MLB level.

excellent post.

and some of those never have a long career in the majors.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 08:54 AM)
Saladino HR since 2012 (so 2013-2015) in the minors: 18 in 1049 PA (for a 550 PA full MiLB season that is about 9.5 per season)

Sanchez HR since 2012 (so 2013-2015) in the minors: 9 HR in 1110 PA (4.4 per season)

No idea where you got your 15-13 numbers. Check Baseball Reference. Maybe you included some winter league numbers or something?

That's also ignoring that Saladino hit 16 HR in one year in 2011 and another 4 in 2012, during which time Sanchez hit 2 total. Saladino isn't a power hitter either, but he has substantially more than Sanchez. I'd say Sanchez has a 20 or maybe 30 grade power tool in-game, with Saladino more around 40.

First, we were discussing shortstop, not second base. Second, whether a position is typically for power hitters or not isn't relevant. More power is more value for a hitter.

My bad about the 2B/SS thing, I thought you were talking about 2B since Sanchez is currently playing there. As for the home runs, I guess I was including winter league. However I still don't know how you got 18 homers for Saladino in the minors in that span.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 07:23 AM)
This is such a typical statement from you.

A 2nd round pick drafted out of high school, a 7th round pick and a 17 year old Venezuelan kid signed for minimal money turned into 3 major league players. That's a win.

A utility infielder for a second round pick is not a win.

It doesn't matter whether it's high school or college. That said I'm not convinced these guys are just utility infielders. People around here have a tendency to give up after six months of seeing a player play. A young player that is.

I have no problem putting those two at second and short for next year. Although it should start right now every day.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)
My bad about the 2B/SS thing, I thought you were talking about 2B since Sanchez is currently playing there. As for the home runs, I guess I was including winter league. However I still don't know how you got 18 homers for Saladino in the minors in that span.

2013 in BHAM: 5

2014 in CHAR: 9

2015 in CHAR: 4

Total: 18

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 11:44 AM)
Man, the SoxTalk scouts are out in full force with their reports of writing off Saladino and Sanchez. Pessimism is a never ending swirl down the baseball toilet. Uh oh, seems the TP has run out too! Ohhhh s***! :o

Agree 100%. If they're not ROY candidates from the start, they suck or are backups. Guys can never improve. Look at the aforementioned Dozier. His first year, 84 games, he hit .234 with .271/.332/.603 line in 316 plate appearances. Saladino's number are pretty similar through 147 plate appearances at .233/.270/.326/.599

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 05:22 PM)
Agree 100%. If they're not ROY candidates from the start, they suck or are backups. Guys can never improve. Look at the aforementioned Dozier. His first year, 84 games, he hit .234 with .271/.332/.603 line in 316 plate appearances. Saladino's number are pretty similar through 147 plate appearances at .233/.270/.326/.599

It would be interesting to look up Big Hurt's stats before being called up but I think his beginning MLB experience stats were better than the minors.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 06:22 PM)

That's just it, too many fans are willing to write off young players if they do not produce right away. Most players struggle while they adapt to major league pitching so Saladino is no different. I'm not saying Saladino is the future for years and years to come but I'm not going to write him off based on less than 200 plate appearances.

The Sox were getting horrible defense and hitting from 3B before Saladino so at least the defensive part has improved. He can also play good SS which is good since Alexei is aging and showing some regression. I really am happy to have Saladino.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/pro...?P=Brian-Dozier

For what it's worth, Dozier had a 779 career minor league OPS.

8th round draft pick.

Of course, what are the odds that a young White Sox hitter actually surprises to the upside offensively?

You'd think it would have to happen sooner rather than later, with all the "bad luck" for the last decade.

Then again, maybe our only luck all went to Carlos Quentin in 2008, Alexei and Jose Abreu.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 4, 2015 -> 02:31 AM)
That's just it, too many fans are willing to write off young players if they do not produce right away. Most players struggle while they adapt to major league pitching so Saladino is no different. I'm not saying Saladino is the future for years and years to come but I'm not going to write him off based on less than 200 plate appearances.

The Sox were getting horrible defense and hitting from 3B before Saladino so at least the defensive part has improved. He can also play good SS which is good since Alexei is aging and showing some regression. I really am happy to have Saladino.

I do think Saladino at least has a chance, whereas I knew Conor had no chance. Saladino has a chance to be a great glove .250 hitter. He's one of our many candidates for 2B where .250 could be acceptable with a great glove.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 10:10 PM)
I do think Saladino at least has a chance, whereas I knew Conor had no chance. Saladino has a chance to be a great glove .250 hitter. He's one of our many candidates for 2B where .250 could be acceptable with a great glove.

The only choice is to do an operation like in "Face Off" and merge Micah, Saladino and Sanchez into one super player.

How did you know Gillaspie had no chance when he was our best hitter (other than Abreu and Eaton) for most of 2014?

Because of his defense?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 11:10 PM)

I kind of agree and disagree. Agree Saladino has a chance to be a great glove and .250 hitter but he will be a SS or 3B with his glove, range and arm strength. To me, its obvious Sanchez is the 2B for at least next season to see how his bat progresses which plays up just fine at second. Imo, Sanchez has GG potential at second so if he can hit .250 or better combined with his glove and youth (23), he sticks at second.

Alexei Ramirez hopes to return to the Chicago White Sox next season.

"This was the team that gave me the opportunity to play in the big leagues and I want to spend the rest of my career here," Ramirez told the Chicago Tribune through an interpreter.

The White Sox hold a $10 million option on Ramirez for 2016 with a $1 million buyout.

The 33-year-old struggled in the first half of the season, but has hit .285/.324/.435 in 53 games since July 1.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 03:33 PM)
A utility infielder for a second round pick is not a win.

It doesn't matter whether it's high school or college. That said I'm not convinced these guys are just utility infielders. People around here have a tendency to give up after six months of seeing a player play. A young player that is.

I have no problem putting those two at second and short for next year. Although it should start right now every day.

Saladino was a 7th round pick.