Tim Anderson IL Player of the Week

southsider2k5

For those of you who asked what prospect ranking does not include Anderson in the list of top 10 SS prospects:

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016/#list=cws?list=ss

I think that source is credible, don't you?

Look, I'm not "down on him". I just think that he is overrated by many Sox fans. As I said, athleticism, speed and bat speed are all great, if they translate into being good at baseball. There have been too many guys like Joe Borchard, Brian Anderson and Jared Mitchell. Micah Johnson looks like he may be headed for the same scenario. Great athletes, with various physical attributes, who never amounted to anything. Meanwhile, the Dustin Pedroias and Prince Fielders of the baseball world become stars. By the way, isn't Altuve amazing? None of those guys look like athletes, but they are very skilled at what they do on the diamond.

Edited by Lillian

Remember, most SS hit like s***, so the bar he has to cross offensively isn't that high. He'll never walk much but if he can put the ball in play enough he should be able to hit for a high enough average to make his OBP at the SS palatable (consistently has run very high BABIPs in the minors so he could be a .350-.360 BABIP guy in the majors). Add in good baserunning and the tools to be an above average defender and that seems plenty valuable.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 20, 2016 -> 09:00 AM)
For those of you who asked what prospect ranking does not include Anderson in the list of top 10 SS prospects:

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016/#list=cws?list=ss

I think that source is credible, don't you?

Look, I'm not "down on him". I just think that he is overrated by many Sox fans. As I said, athleticism, speed and bat speed are all great, if they translate into being good at baseball. There have been too many guys like Joe Borchard, Brian Anderson and Jared Mitchell. Micah Johnson looks like he may be headed for the same scenario. Great athletes, with various physical attributes, who never amounted to anything. Meanwhile, the Dustin Pedroias and Prince Fielders of the baseball world become stars. By the way, isn't Altuve amazing? None of those guys look like athletes, but they are very skilled at what they do on the diamond.

I guess I am just not seeing much of the overly optimistic sox fans as you are. There are people around here who really like him but I have seen no one that talks about him like he is flawless and a sure bet. If he was he would be facing the Royals tonight.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 20, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
I guess I am just not seeing much of the overly optimistic sox fans as you are. There are people around here who really like him but I have seen no one that talks about him like he is flawless and a sure bet. If he was he would be facing the Royals tonight.

Perhaps I've gotten the wrong impression. It just seems like most posters here think that he's "untouchable". Any time a trade proposal is made, which might have to include Anderson, many nix it immediately.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 20, 2016 -> 09:31 AM)
Perhaps I've gotten the wrong impression. It just seems like most posters here think that he's "untouchable". Any time a trade proposal is made, which might have to include Anderson, many nix it immediately.

Lillian, have you seen some of the trade proposals around here? LOL Yeah I am sure there are a handful that latch onto him but those posters do that for every guy they like no matter what.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 20, 2016 -> 07:49 AM)
What list of prospects currently out now has 10 guys ranked ahead of him?

Hard to believe it's Baseball America, which is generally accepted as one of the best and certainly most famous listings.

Even if that were true, it's not really a big deal because SS is the most athletic position on the field, and prospects coming up there often end up at 2B, 3B, CF or pretty much anywhere in the outfield. I'm sure most of the lists only have a couple of catchers ahead of him, that's just the nature of the game right now.

There's a lot of incoming talent at that position, such as Carlos Correa, Francisco Lindor, Manny Machado will be shifted there from 3B once JJ Hardy leaves Baltimore, Bogaerts, Cozart, Corey Seager, Dansby Swanson, Trea Turner, Brandon Crawford, Trevor Story (there's an even better prospect behind him in the Rockies' system), Ketel Marte and Addison Russell/Javier Baez. These positions tend to ebb and flow. 15 years ago, ARod/Nomar/Tejada/Jeter ruled the AL. Recently, it was almost impossible to find a great 3B...and certainly a franchise catcher.

As far as Anderson hitting leadoff, he would hit 8th or 9th his first year or two before becoming comfortable. Eventually, he'll end up at leadoff, 2nd or at the bottom of the order if his OBP/OPS don't merit as many AB's.

The reason trading Anderson won't happen is we have to fill holes (or sign extensions) at 3B, SS, 2B, catcher, CF and LF over the next two years, and that's not even dealing with the rising cost of pitching (and the lack thereof in terms of cheap/young pitchers on the market). That's six positions alone...and you could probably make it 7, adding uncertainty surrounding Avi Garcia's future.

Anderson has to become an All-Star player for the White Sox unless they're going to raise the payroll to the $150-175 million range.

It's also not a sure thing they're going to want to overpay Todd Frazier in his middle thirties for declining production...he'll probably receive offers like $70 million for 3 years if he keeps this current pace up over the next couple of years (assuming the defense stays the same and BA is in the 240's).

The only shortstops, whom you mentioned, who are on the Top Prospects List ahead of Anderson, are Crawford, Turner and Swanson. The rest of the players you cited are no longer considered prospects.

Edited by Lillian

Maybe I'm crazy, but I see a guy who is super athletic and just needs the reps at SS. He's getting them at AAA. He may never be elite but he has the tools to be above average. He needs development and it's good to see him doing so. I think we all knew, or at least I knew, he'd struggle to start AAA. Now he's caught fire and swinging great. Haven't checked his BB% and K% rate lately. I look later after work. I also haven't saw anyone posts saying, "well Anderson committed his third error in two games." What's his error total?

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 20, 2016 -> 09:31 AM)

It doesn't make sense to trade him unless you get a player with multiple years of control in return. Not untouchable but he's not going for some rental or 2 year guy with a big $$ commitment.

It's hard to dig my feet in too much having not seen much of him at all, but a raw player able to overcome lack of reps with super athleticism and bat speed seems promising and exciting. I'd prefer he have a great K/BB ratio, but he was a second half of the first round pick, you take more raw skills there.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ May 23, 2016 -> 06:24 AM)
Maybe I'm crazy, but I see a guy who is super athletic and just needs the reps at SS. He's getting them at AAA. He may never be elite but he has the tools to be above average. He needs development and it's good to see him doing so. I think we all knew, or at least I knew, he'd struggle to start AAA. Now he's caught fire and swinging great. Haven't checked his BB% and K% rate lately. I look later after work. I also haven't saw anyone posts saying, "well Anderson committed his third error in two games." What's his error total?

He now has 6 walks, in 181 plate appearances.

He has struck out 42 times, which is 23%

He has made 7 errors in 192 chances, for a .964 fielding %.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 23, 2016 -> 10:49 AM)
He now has 6 walks, in 181 plate appearances.

He has struck out 42 times, which is 23%

He has made 7 errors in 192 chances, for a .964 fielding %.

So two lines of ignoring the trend lines (which are quite important, as he was challenged at this level), and one line referring to a stat that shouldn't be used to evaluate defense.

I can understand some hesitation. But you are focusing on a few specific stats, and not seeing the whole picture, both stats and otherwise.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 23, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
So two lines of ignoring the trend lines (which are quite important, as he was challenged at this level), and one line referring to a stat that shouldn't be used to evaluate defense.

I can understand some hesitation. But you are focusing on a few specific stats, and not seeing the whole picture, both stats and otherwise.

Perhaps you misunderstood this last post, which was merely a response to "SouthSideSales". He asked for those stats, and I provided them, since he was at work, and couldn't look it up. I wasn't trying to draw any conclusions from them. I've already stated my concerns, and they remain. However, I am hoping that Anderson continues to make progress and ultimately lives up to the great expectations, which are based primarily on his athleticism.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 23, 2016 -> 10:05 AM)
Perhaps you misunderstood this last post, which was merely a response to "SouthSideSales". He asked for those stats, and I provided them, since he was at work, and couldn't look it up. I wasn't trying to draw any conclusions from them. I've already stated my concerns, and they remain. However, I am hoping that Anderson continues to make progress and ultimately lives up to the great expectations, which are based primarily on his athleticism.

Thanks man!

It's all good. I know errors don't tell the entire story on his defense and how he's progressed. I was merely curious on how he was doing.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 23, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)

I was just asking for those out of curiosity. I know stats don't tell the whole story. For example, Derek Jeter committed a ton of errors in the minors. Not saying Anderson is going to be Jeter but just using the error stat reference. Isn't the end all be all certainly.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ May 23, 2016 -> 11:28 AM)
I was just asking for those out of curiosity. I know stats don't tell the whole story. For example, Derek Jeter committed a ton of errors in the minors. Not saying Anderson is going to be Jeter but just using the error stat reference. Isn't the end all be all certainly.

Ah, then my apologies for being snarky. My bad.