***Official MLB Draft 2016 Day 2 Thread***

southsider2k5

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 03:01 PM)
Oooo like what I'm reading here. Don't see anything on defense/athleticism but seeing great bat speed and raw power.

The one report said he will start at SS but probably need to switch to 3B where he will be above average.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 03:07 PM)
The one report said he will start at SS but probably need to switch to 3B where he will be above average.

Funny, mlb.com was first thing I saw saying great bat speed and raw power, then FutureSox retweeted a guy saying great defense but not a good bat.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 03:24 PM)
From mlb scouting report

"Over the summer, he displayed excellent bat speed and some offensive upside. He's been inconsistent this spring, starting off particularly slowly. Fairly physically mature, Curbelo does have some power to tap into. "

Makes sense. Sounds like this kid will likely be in AZ for a while.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 03:26 PM)
Rob Young ‏@RobertHYoung 17m17 minutes ago

Late 1st talent and went in 6th, so will be tough sign. tho Sox have done this before with Michalczewski (2013, 7th) and Zangari (2015, 6th)

Which means they are saving some money somewhere to pay for him. Bye Bye Burdi Bonus?

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 03:36 PM)
Got to save $$ now to sign Curbelo and hopefully one or two more overslot guys.

Have to say I'm a bit disappointed that with a comp pick used on a reliever we then have had to use so many other picks on college seniors for signing one third round level high school shortstop. I really like Collins, Hansen and Fisher, but this isn't the haul I was expecting. I'm very open to the fact that I have never heard of any of these players though, but considering the interviews of hostetler I'm surprised to see our strategy of basically slot for top three players then a bunch of college seniors to sign one high schooler.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 03:43 PM)
Have to say I'm a bit disappointed that with a comp pick used on a reliever we then have had to use so many other picks on college seniors for signing one third round level high school shortstop. I really like Collins, Hansen and Fisher, but this isn't the haul I was expecting. I'm very open to the fact that I have never heard of any of these players though, but considering the interviews of hostetler I'm surprised to see our strategy of basically slot for top three players then a bunch of college seniors to sign one high schooler.

They only drafted one college senior and technically he's a redshirt junior.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 10, 2016 -> 03:43 PM)

We haven't draft a senior yet, have we?