James Shields Redux

harkness99

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 08:34 AM)
False. If a player opts out of a contract, he can be offered a QO (see Alex Gordon). However, Shields will not opt out.

And if he did, Sox would be dumb not to offer the QO of around 1/16 mill when the guy rejected 2/44 million lol

The Sox didn't have him for a full season, so they cannot offer the QO.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 08:23 AM)
Have you watched any of the games this year? You have to literally have your head in the sand to think "we'd be in the running with another bat". Our offensive statistics are putrid & one player wouldn't change that.

I have watched almost all the games this year. If we had replaced a Avi Garcia/JB Shuck combo with a Jay Bruce at the beginning of the year we would be in the running. He basically doubles their output. And we didnt pull the trigger at the beginning of the year.

I guess I wasnt clear in what I was saying. I meant if we had done it at the beginning of the year or about 40 games ago. Not now, its time to throw in the towel and sell.

Shields is pitching well now, get rid of him, Gonzo unload, Robertson get what you can.

Sale can bring back 3-4 major leaguers so its time to do it.

You would have had to acquire Bruce or Carlos Gonzalez around the second or third week of May to stem the bleeding...if those teams were 1) willing to trade and 2) willing to accept whatever we were offering (Adams/Fulmer, etc.)

With how it appears the league has adjusted to Abreu after two seasons, it's far from a sure thing we could have kept the momentum going without Shields having come in and pitched in late May/early June like he has been doing over the last month or so.

QUOTE (ecupittfan @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 11:06 AM)
I have watched almost all the games this year. If we had replaced a Avi Garcia/JB Shuck combo with a Jay Bruce at the beginning of the year we would be in the running. He basically doubles their output. And we didnt pull the trigger at the beginning of the year.

I guess I wasnt clear in what I was saying. I meant if we had done it at the beginning of the year or about 40 games ago. Not now, its time to throw in the towel and sell.

Shields is pitching well now, get rid of him, Gonzo unload, Robertson get what you can.

Sale can bring back 3-4 major leaguers so its time to do it.

Even then I'm not sure it would've made a difference. Look at our team batting!

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=...=&players=0