James Shields comment...

Lip Man 1

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Definitely. Burger? Great pick (sarcasm). If not for the unloading of some players, the rebuild would be impossible with the Sox record in the draft. You are right. They on paper got a haul for Q, Sale, Eaton, Robertson. Those guys we got in those deals are the core of the rebuild plus Moncada and Robert.

Ripping on a guy who tore his Achilles twice and calling him a bad draft pick. He showed promise before then. Real classy greg. You should be ashamed of yourself. 

22 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I love ptatc but despise the last sentence. It's very sad when a GM builds a team to lose as many games as possible when the reward is something as silly as a BASEBALL DRAFT PICK. The one draft that doesn't mean squat normally, especially with an organization that has picked the wrong guy so many times and has a problem developing guys. Makes me sick.

It's different game today. Fans accept losing and strikeouts and pitchers to throw as hard so they leave earlier in games.

Fans used to expect the FO to draft well so they don't have to go through  a rebuild and losing. Now they lose on purpose to make their job easier.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, ptatc said:

It's different game today. Fans accept losing and strikeouts and pitchers to throw as hard so they leave earlier in games.

Fans used to expect the FO to draft well so they don't have to go through  a rebuild and losing. Now they lose on purpose to make their job easier.

I think with the stat revolution fans are much more clued into service time and where the farm is at. It used to be if you weren't in the major leagues no fan had heard of you.

Now? Pretty much every serious white sox fan knows who Eloy , Robert, and Kopech are. Honestly, this is a good thing because good GM's get the credit and GM's who raid the farm for shortterm gain are exposed.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ptatc said:

Tanking and rebuilding is and should be irrelevant to players. The players on the field should bust their rear ends to win evefy game. This is the right attitude and frankly what they are paid to do.

its up to the front office to make sure there isnt enough talent on the field to win many game.

I would add to that they are also well paid to fo that. But that is in fantasy land. In the real world, some players bust their butts every game but many don't.  As announcers often say, players take plays or even games off. It is human nature. But that is what most workers in their everyday job do also. Every time you buy something that is defective, most likely someone took that "play" off.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, greg775 said:

I love ptatc but despise the last sentence. It's very sad when a GM builds a team to lose as many games as possible when the reward is something as silly as a BASEBALL DRAFT PICK. The one draft that doesn't mean squat normally, especially with an organization that has picked the wrong guy so many times and has a problem developing guys. Makes me sick.

I don't think Hahn built this team to lose as many games as possible.  This is the bridge team--only it's not a suspension bridge over a river, it's more like a few small stepping stones that span a large lake.  I think this team is the RESULT of trying to WIN as many games as possible in the future.  We traded our present for a better shot at a better future--the cost is what we see now.  Also...the on-field product we see right now is also a result of several years ago's scouting/player development failures.  Talking about the team of people who drafted Engle, Thompson, Beck (all the draft picks who weren't as good as them 😲) and supplemented with acquisitions of Tilson, Avi, Shields, Delmonico, Davidson, Leury, Rondon, Narvaez--these are all guys who we either went out to draft, received in trade, or went out to get.  You don't waste draft picks on players who help you lose games.  You also don't trade good players for players you believe will help you lose.  You MAY be able to stretch a FA signing to fit your theory--but there aren't many players who fall into that category.  

The more realistic view was...our front office looked at this list 2 years ago and thought "holy $*%&" we're going to be awful in 2 years, it's time to rebuild.  Truth be told, it's staggering on how many draft picks they have missed on--I can assure you, that's not intentional.  But to be fair, we should remember the good prospects that were moved for "win now" seasons.  Gio Gonzalez, Marcus Semien, Tatis Jr., Eduardo Escobar.  

The guys you see now (minus Giolito, Moncada, Lopez) were the best our 2014-2016 "future" had to offer before we traded Sale, Eaton, Quintana and crew.  NOW...luckily we did that then so we can have at least some hope in the present day future.