How do the newly drafted players fit into the white sox top prospect list?

Dominikk85

Walker may or may not have been BPA, but the scout rankings supposedly supported that he was. Take the good with the bad. If this shows to be a less than ideal pick, but held true to the system of selecting, then so be it. From top to bottom of the drafting philosophy, it will be a net benefit. Walker represents a commitment to the strategy.

20 hours ago, ptatc said:

The big factor that may cap the ceiling on Cease is the higher walk total with command issues compared to Dunning. Dunning is far more advanced in thos area.

I’m not convinced that Cease’s command is really an issue.  He’s actually quite consistent out of the wind up.  Usually, his trouble is one inning and has to do with adjusting to pitching out of the stretch. Plus, some of his walk total comes from minor league umps having trouble staying with that breaking ball, which is a monster.  It will be interesting to see how it all plays out at higher levels.  I am confident because of how athletic he is.  He’s like a shortstop on the mound.

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I’m not convinced that Cease’s command is really an issue.  He’s actually quite consistent out of the wind up.  Usually, his trouble is one inning and has to do with adjusting to pitching out of the stretch. Plus, some of his walk total comes from minor league umps having trouble staying with that breaking ball, which is a monster.  It will be interesting to see how it all plays out at higher levels.  I am confident because of how athletic he is.  He’s like a shortstop on the mound.

I was using it as a reference pointvas to why Dunning is currently more advanced in pitching. Cease may resolve the issues but right now Dunning has a more of a pitcher than thrower compared to Cease.

On 6/9/2018 at 9:49 AM, SEALgep said:

Walker may or may not have been BPA, but the scout rankings supposedly supported that he was. Take the good with the bad. If this shows to be a less than ideal pick, but held true to the system of selecting, then so be it. From top to bottom of the drafting philosophy, it will be a net benefit. Walker represents a commitment to the strategy.

I'm a little surprised how down on Walker many seem to be. He has improved each season at Oklahoma, and was one of the best bats in the conference this past season. He may not have a true plus tool beyond his hitting, but the other tools aren't bad by any means. He certainly fits the mold of player we have been looking for as an advanced college bat, and could profile as a regular in the outfield. I do not necessarily see a center fielder profile, but having more outfield depth is not a bad thing. 

4 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I'm a little surprised how down on Walker many seem to be. He has improved each season at Oklahoma, and was one of the best bats in the conference this past season. He may not have a true plus tool beyond his hitting, but the other tools aren't bad by any means. He certainly fits the mold of player we have been looking for as an advanced college bat, and could profile as a regular in the outfield. I do not necessarily see a center fielder profile, but having more outfield depth is not a bad thing. 

I think it's hard when people hear average tools to remember how few players with ceilings of average tools hit them, whereas Walker is pretty sure to hit that. I'm not crazy about the profile (we had a lot of these in our system), but I think when he starts hitting in the minors people will come around. 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I think it's hard when people hear average tools to remember how few players with ceilings of average tools hit them, whereas Walker is pretty sure to hit that. I'm not crazy about the profile (we had a lot of these in our system), but I think when he starts hitting in the minors people will come around. 

True, but I think he could end up being a sneaky good pick for the White Sox. MLB.com had him as a late first round pick and he has a great track record with wood bats. I like that he easily makes quality contact. 

Although not the best comparison, Walker put up almost identical NCAA stats this season to Alec Bohm...let that sink in.

On 6/8/2018 at 5:29 PM, Baker said:

Listening to yesterday’s podcast, Hostetler seemed ever so slightly tepid in enthusiasm for Walker. Deferred to the scout on this one and wished Getzy good luck fitting him in. 

Yeah, to me he is very redundant in the system.  I haven't seen him play for 1 second, but he seems to be very similar to a Luis Gonzalez/Alex Call type player.  Who maybe safer than guys like Basabe/ Adolfo, but certainly without the ceiling.  He would pretty much have to start at Kanny, and that is only the best spot for him if Gonzalez is moved up.  I would have preferred someone like Jeremiah Jackson, Alek Thomas, or heck, even Jeremy Eierman.  But I know nothing.  

Here is a nice write-up on him.

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018/5/29/17399442/2018-mlb-draft-steele-walker-of-university-of-oklahoma

Edited by turnin' two