Tim Anderson's Second, Quieter Breakout (fangraphs)

gusguyman

Cool article on TA7 at fangrapghs, a follow-up to their August 2019 article on his breakout last year.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/tim-andersons-second-quieter-breakout/

Some highlights:

• For the first time ever, TA7's average exit velocity is above the MLB average.
  • His chase rate is down 6.5 points.
  • He has the 10th highest hard-hit% in baseball
  • His GB rate this year is up to 59%, but historically his rolling GB% has fluctuated a ton, so it would not be surprising to see him go on a streak of elevating the baseball soon.

FXUlfXe.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

He's also on a great contract, which is another feather in the cap of Hahn and Co. 

I have a lot of issues with some of the decisions they've made over the years, but they've also worked out some fantastic deals with players that allows them some more flexibility to augment the roster.  

More than the fact that it's great to have good players on good contracts, it's wild that they haven't missed on one yet.

58 minutes ago, mqr said:

More than the fact that it's great to have good players on good contracts, it's wild that they haven't missed on one yet.

We have to hope that Moncada is ok in 2021. 

Nobody knows enough about covid to know what's going to happen to him in the future. 

I'm going to be optimistic and assume he's going to be fine in '21 until proven otherwise. 

If I told you I wasn't at least a bit concerned that he'll never be the guy he was in 2019 again I'd be lying, but I'm mostly optimistic because the evidence isn't there yet either way. We just have to wait and see. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

19 minutes ago, Tony said:

He's also on a great contract, which is another feather in the cap of Hahn and Co. 

I have a lot of issues with some of the decisions they've made over the years, but they've also worked out some fantastic deals with players that allows them some more flexibility to augment the roster.  

Tim was the first big sign that the Sox were figuring out the drafting and development of position players.  He is a victory for this organization from top to bottom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

We have to hope that Moncada is ok in 2021. 

Nobody knows enough about covid to know what's going to happen to him in the future. 

I'm going to be optimistic and assume he's going to be fine in '21 until proven otherwise. 

If I told you I wasn't at least a bit concerned that he'll never be the guy he was in 2019 again I'd be lying, but I'm mostly optimistic because the evidence isn't there yet either way. We just have to wait and see. 

Jesus people. He's had a few bad weeks. Relax. lol. Did he not have Post COVID Fatigue when he slashed .302/.371/.508 over the first 2.5 weeks of the season?

The team has also publicly spoken about his leg injury and he's pulled up gimpy, gingerly, or favoring one leg while running a multitude of times. I'm going to go out on a MASSIVE limb here and say that is hard to play with. 

Moncada himself said that with returning from COVID - the problem was more so the prolonged inactivity and not having a chance to rev up for the season. Legs aren't in shape, etc.

He looked pretty good earlier tonight. Had some good AB's and absolutely hammered a couple balls a little wide of the foul pole in right. It wouldn't shock me if starting tomorrow - it was his turn out of the guys to get extremely hot. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Richie said:

Jesus people. He's had a few bad weeks. Relax. lol. Did he not have Post COVID Fatigue when he slashed .302/.371/.508 over the first 2.5 weeks of the season?

The team has also publicly spoken about his leg injury and he's pulled up gimpy, gingerly, or favoring one leg while running a multitude of times. I'm going to go out on a MASSIVE limb here and say that is hard to play with. 

Moncada himself said that with returning from COVID - the problem was more so the prolonged inactivity and not having a chance to rev up for the season. Legs aren't in shape, etc.

He looked pretty good earlier tonight. Had some good AB's and absolutely hammered a couple balls a little wide of the foul pole in right. It wouldn't shock me if starting tomorrow - it was his turn out of the guys to get extremely hot. 

I don't think you even read the details here because your first rant is clearly covered.