Where are Hahn and KW?

mmmmmbeeer

20 hours ago, Texsox said:

Do you really think grown men need a rah rah speech? That shit is for movies. They need to their damn job.  Everything this organization has to say is on the field sucking ass. They can't hit, they can't stop swinging at first pitches, they can't run bases, they can't hold the rare lead they get. But the right golden words from a manager will change everything. 

Changing the manager is a nice start but sending the rest of the roster packing and waiting another ten years is the reality. 

Completely disagree. People do need that sometimes. Have you ever held a job with a shit manager vs one with a good manager? Sometime the little things can push someone to the next level. Yes, the players need to perform, but if you have a zombie going through the motions because they are a "hall-of-fame" baseball person, you may not be all that motivated to try hard enough to get to that level.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Strongly disagree.  As anyone who has had the misfortune to work under poor leadership will attest, you just go through the motions to earn your paycheck.  There's little hope of success, each step forward leads to two steps back due to poor leadership decisions, there's absolutely no 'fun' being had, little camaraderie except to b**** and moan about how bad the leadership is, and the team leaders themselves begin to feel powerless (be it an office lead or, in Sox terms, guys like Abreu and TA).  

Management sets the tone for the entire team.  It's often said how teams take on the personalities of their managers...does this look like a team being led by an 80yo incorrigible asshole?  It sure does to me.

These players KNOW baseball.  If you and I can sit at home, with nothing but time invested in this franchise, and get pissed off at some of the unbelievably bad decisions being made with the lineup card, the bullpen, pinch hitting, etc., how do you think the actual players on the field are feeling about those decisions?  They put in the effort but, time and again, their own manager changes Ws to Ls.  Why even try?  Why put in extra effort?  Why put in the time and energy to be hyper-focused when they believe, truly believe, their manager will do something idiotic to render their efforts moot?  Professionalism only goes so far....

So one win one for the Gibber speech away from a world series? 

Better decisions. Better lineups. All that is necessary. Motivational speeches? Save it for high schools.

2 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Completely disagree. People do need that sometimes. Have you ever held a job with a shit manager vs one with a good manager? Sometime the little things can push someone to the next level. Yes, the players need to perform, but if you have a zombie going through the motions because they are a "hall-of-fame" baseball person, you may not be all that motivated to try hard enough to get to that level.

I have. And I got my job done well enough to be promoted when they fired the guy. I don't leave my livelihood to others.