Where are Hahn and KW?

mmmmmbeeer

I live out of town so perhaps they've been on the radio, but where the hell are these guys during all of this madness?  Seems we haven't heard a peep when they really need to be out in front of things trying to calm the fanbase.  Give us something, anything, that says you're aware of what's happening and plan to make moves to address issues.  Answer a question regarding the FO's take on these horrific lineups, bullpen usage, and offense.  Silence is just pissing us all off even more.

Edited by mmmmmbeeer
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

I live out of town so perhaps they've been on the radio, but where the hell are these guys during all of this madness?  Seems we haven't heard a peep when they really need to be out in front of things trying to calm the fanbase.  Give us something, anything, that says you're aware of what's happening and plan to make moves to address issues.  Answer a question regarding the FO's take on these horrific lineups, bullpen usage, and offense.  Silence is just pissing us all off even more.

Hahn meets the media at the start of basically every new homestand. I think it's pretty rare at this point for Kenny to talk to the media. 

Honestly, I put more blame at the feet of the media that covers the team. There doesn't seem to be one guy on the beat that really gets on them and will ask the really tough questions. Everything is asked seemingly with a safety net built-in for them to answer. 

Additionally, Hahn speak is so bland anyway, I'm not really sure what we would even expect to hear. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

They should be sick about how bleak the future looks for this team, immediate future and down the line. The Sox 'strength' is starting pitching. If I were the Sox, assuming starters forevermore will only go 4 or 5 innings, I'd try to build a team with 9 starting pitchers. Try something unique like going with two starters per game every game. See if the two can get it to the ninth, then use the closer. It's time to build for the future as the team is abysmal right now. Hahn and KW need to figure a plan and Sox are not going to win anything with modern baseball the way it is today. Also if your are going to have a pathetic hitting team, get great defensive players who can't hit at every position. At least in my scenario sox will have pitching and defense down pat.

KW and Hahn have to have some kind of plan for the future.

44 minutes ago, White Sox Park said:

They seem run it, like it's some fantasy team that they like to toy with, for simple amusement, just to see how weird it can get.

Naw. They have very specific things they’re ok with doing. They love spending on utility guys and declaring them to be starters - Bonifacio, Beckham, Keppinger, Harrison, Leury. They always want a big money closer - Robertson, Colome, Hendriks. They fully believe that big money middle relief is a good decision - Ohman, Duke, Herrera, Graveman, Kelly. And they are ok with spending the middle of the free agent market, the $10-20 million salary over 3-4 years range, but balk at anything higher - so they wind up buying corner OF and DH types but are shut out of elite guys.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Naw. They have very specific things they’re ok with doing. They love spending on utility guys and declaring them to be starters - Bonifacio, Beckham, Keppinger, Harrison, Leury. They always want a big money closer - Robertson, Colome, Hendriks. They fully believe that big money middle relief is a good decision - Ohman, Duke, Herrera, Graveman, Kelly. And they are ok with spending the middle of the free agent market, the $10-20 million salary over 3-4 years range, but balk at anything higher - so they wind up buying corner OF and DH types but are shut out of elite guys.

Don't forget Linebrink and Dotel...other than Koch, the first examples where they really started overspending on the pen instead of going with internal development or finding guys like Marte Thornton Santos and Jenks on the cheap.

Along with that, high draft picks wasted on Ring Poreda Burdi etc.  No other team was doing that...at least outside the Top 8-10 and below payroll teams.

Edited by caulfield12

More importantly, where is Jerry Reinsdorf? For a long time, he has refused to do interviews because he doesn't trust the press. Instead, he had Hawk and Farmer be his spokesmen. Who is his spokesman now? Stone?

I wouldn't expect much from a JR interview. But perhaps he could do a little segment with Chuck Garfien and take some softball questions. All I would want to see is a lucid man who can still think clearly and was not letting old age impair him. Right now, being reclusive just feeds imaginations, and that is not good. 

I really don't care if KW or Hahn talk to the media. They will just give the company line. Actions mean more, and I am wondering what can be done to right this ship. However, if the Sox go on to have a truly disappointing season, the FO will have to answer for it one way or another. One result may be a nearly empty stadium.

I mean, does it really matter? Anything they say will just get blasted from the public so it's not like it really would make anything better...probably worse if anything. What is Hahn gonna say? "Uh, yeah, I suck at free agent signings and our players are glass houses and I didn't want to hire Tony but Jerry blindsided me and now here we are. Oh and he won't give me more money so I can keep sucking at free agent signings."

Edited by ScooterMcGuire
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

I mean, does it really matter? Anything they say will just get blasted from the public so it's not like it really would make anything better...probably worse if anything. What is Hahn gonna say? "Uh, yeah, I suck at free agent signings and our players are glass houses and I didn't want to hire Tony but Jerry blindsided me and now here we are. Oh and he won't give me more money so I can keep sucking at free agent signings."

We all know whatever they say will just be a company line, but actually showing up and saying something at least lets fans know that they recognize that things aren't going well.

57 minutes ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

Hiding in their ivory towers doesn’t exactly inspire confidence, either.

Even worse, arguing with the fanbase about their decision-making process.   Hahn and TLR should come out and admit they both should lose their jobs if this team doesn’t at least make the playoffs.  Before getting rid of 8-10 players or starting over, at least try something…anything…different in order to light a spark and get them out of the doldrums.  Half the time they seem like dinner reservations or golf tee times are more important.  Like the last game of the season when non playoff teams just swing at first pitches over and over again in order to have a 90 minute game so they can get out on the road and on the way back home as quickly as possible.  Nobody is having any fun. Well, maybe Eloy in general disposition and then Yoan at 2-3 a.m.

12 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

Neither of them were on board with this managerial hire. They probably figure that JR made his bed so he can lay in it. Let him be out in front explaining why the team and organization is a dumpster fire.

TLR has been bad but Hahn and Kenny get most of the blame. Their players aren't hitting, defending, baserunning, and staying healthy. Their highly paid pitcher was just DFA for sucking too much. 

9 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

TLR has been bad but Hahn and Kenny get most of the blame. Their players aren't hitting, defending, baserunning, and staying healthy. Their highly paid pitcher was just DFA for sucking too much. 

Hahn and Kenny have been bad but TLR gets most of the blame. His players aren't hitting, defending, baserunning, or staying healthy.

13 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

Neither of them were on board with this managerial hire. They probably figure that JR made his bed so he can lay in it. Let him be out in front explaining why the team and organization is a dumpster fire.

But they happy cashing JRs checks. The Hahn defense force using his apparent acquiescence to JR on hiring a manager isn't quite the get out of jail card they think.

You know what sucks? This team could very well get a little healthier, play semi-good baseball in July and August by beating division teams, and win this weak ass division with 85-87 wins. Now, what’s wrong with that? I’ll tell you…

They’ll play the “nobody believed in us” card while they put the Division Champions hats and shirts on, and then immediately lose 2 out of 3 at home, or at the most, make it to the division series and go out quietly like last year. At that point, it’ll be, “the postseason is a crapshoot, and we’re proud of how this team bounced back in the second half”.

Same shit, different year. And on to more roster moves that don’t put the Sox over the top in 2023. 

(If this doesn’t happen, and they actually make the ALCS this year, I will bump this and call myself out)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, flavum said:

You know what sucks? This team could very well get a little healthier, play semi-good baseball in July and August by beating division teams, and win this weak ass division with 85-87 wins. Now, what’s wrong with that? I’ll tell you…

They’ll play the “nobody believed in us” card while they put the Division Champions hats and shirts on, and then immediately lose 2 out of 3 at home, or at the most, make it to the division series and go out quietly like last year. At that point, it’ll be, “the postseason is a crapshoot, and we’re proud of how this team bounced back in the second half”.

Same shit, different year. And on to more roster moves that don’t put the Sox over the top in 2023. 

(If this doesn’t happen, and they actually make the ALCS this year, I will bump this and call myself out)

TBF, that scenario sounds hell of a lot better than not watching any interesting baseball all season. I have the sickness - I won’t be able to look away even though I know I should. So I’d much rather see that play out than more of what we’ve seen. 

12 minutes ago, flavum said:

If this team really does pull it together and make the playoffs, a lot of good things had to happen in a shorter period of time.  To get to 87 wins they need to go 64-49 the rest of this season, which is .556 baseball.

As of now, I am seeing nothing tell me that this group is going to be able to play that kind of baseball.

• Like 7

Since the rebuild Kenny Williams rarely ever speaks. and trust me that is by design. Hahn occasionally talks, but it's nothing more than a lot of BS words with no valid meaning or validity. We all know why Hahn can't tell the fans why this team has become a trainwreck. This is all on our demented owner JR who obviously refuses to come forward and speak up. Why would he? He would then have to admit he made a colossal dumbfounding mistake of hiring his demented buddy TLR to correct his mistake from 35 years ago. 

The fact is, as bad as this season is right now, it's not nearly as bad as it needs to get for change to happen. As much as it pains me to say this and it would be brutally agonizing to watch...but this season needs to blow up and implode horribly for any change to occur. The Sox not only would need to miss the playoffs, but miss it by a lot...by finishing 3rd or 4th or worse in our division. It would take a good 10-15 games under 500 to create change. JR, Hahn and TLR all need to be humiliated nationally, as well as locally by playing in front of near empty 5k attendances. All the major sports networks need to crucify them for their ignorance and incompetence to hope for any change. Even then...JR is demented and dumb enough to where he might not do anything. 

The fact is JR is 86 years old. He is too ignorant, senile and stubborn to make any changes until it gets really ugly. It sucks I have to say this but it's a fact. Trust me I have been a diehard fan my entire life and was so excited for the rebuild in 2016...especially as we got close the last few years. This has been painful to watch and has ruined my summer Sox viewing. 

The only other thing that could change this if one of his sons, preferably Michael was allowed to run the team without interference and meddling from Jerry. Look how ugly it got with Jerry's Chicago Bulls with Pax/Heard running the show. JR did nothing! The only reason it got semi turned around is when his son Michael became the president and 100 percent fully in charge...without his dad meddling in the operations to screw it up. Once that happened, Paxson was removed for Arturas Karnisovas. Michael obviously was smart enough and saw enough of the pathetic  John Paxson and made the necessary change.

It's real simple! It's either JR passes away, sells the team, goes into full unrecoverable dementia, or let's one of his sane sons run the club...before the Sox players and fans have any remote possibility of change and stopping this trainwreck. 

Sorry to be so negative, but I'm just being a realist going on the long predicable track record of Jerry Reinsdorf.

I'm tired of watching my favorite sports team be ruined and embarrassed! For God's Sake, change needs to happen! Wake the F#*k up Reinsdorf!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Hahn and Kenny have been bad but TLR gets most of the blame. His players aren't hitting, defending, baserunning, or staying healthy.

The hitting and defense have little to do with TLR. His decision making with lineups, the bullpen, rotation usage, and strategy have been bad. But players not living up to their potential isn't His fault. 

9 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The hitting and defense have little to do with TLR. His decision making with lineups, the bullpen, rotation usage, and strategy have been bad. But players not living up to their potential isn't His fault. 

Look man, if @Balta1701 is blaming someone more than Rick Hahn, that means he's feeling real strongly about it.

Also, managing a lineup, bullpen, rotation, and strategy is exactly how you help players live up to their potential. They're not robots out there - they need to be put in positions to succeed. 

• Like 1