6/12 Games

ron883

9 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Adam Haseley is useful but they can’t promote him because La Russa is a dipshit. He’ll play him every day against righties which is an issue 

The Sox have boxed themselves into some bad spots by not getting any legit LH bats. Engel's glove makes him a good platoon option even when he's not hitting, but that's wasted when all of your other OF options also bat righty. Haseley would be a good 5th OF but we're paying Leury and Harrison $11 million instead. Sheets might eventually be a good platoon bat/pinch hitter but he wasn't allowed to develop further at AAA because he was shoved into a lineup devoid of LH bats. I have no idea what other trade options were out there but Kimbrel got moved for yet another RH hitter, and even though Pollock doesn't have extreme splits, he's not the righty masher this team desperately needed.

Even on a team that already has Eloy and Vaughn who are really DHs instead of outfielders, I was strongly advocating for signing Schwarber because he would have solved so many lineup issues. His .852 OPS vs HR pitchers would look awfully nice right now, and I think he only got 2 years guaranteed, so he wouldn't have been the kind of long term risk that Jerry is terrified of.

There aren't any big time LH bats available on the trade market.

• bmags unpinned this topic